IGNORED

Article: KEF LS50 (David) Versus JBL 4722 Cinema (Goliath) Speaker Comparison with Binaural Recordings

Very interesting article -- a very welcome departure from the preponderance of cliched fluff pieces clogging up the 'net. Well done sir.

I am really intrigued by the JBL 4722, so have to ask Mitchco (or anyone in the know): what do you lose or gain from a speaker like the sub $4,000 4722 (pair) versus the $5,000 JBL 4429 or the $15,000 4765? (other than the looks)  I know these are "studio" monitors not "theater" speakers, but the similarities are so many: very high spl, huge dynamics, very high/ high sensitivity, horn, etc?

In other words, for listening at home, why not save a boat load of money and buy these 4722s instaed of the far pricier studio monitors? 

On 1/10/2019 at 8:08 AM, mitchco said:

Thanks @isleofskye The 4722's ($2K US a pair) are bit narrower directivity than the 4429 or 4365. If you biamp the 4722's like I have, then you require digital or electronic XO. A multi-channel DAC, four amps, protection capacitors for the compression drivers. I upgraded the compression drivers on my 4722's based on a really long thread on AVSForum where one of the members tried several different compression drivers. Some DIY along with DSP is required to make these sound their best. Whereas, the 4429 or 4365's are ready to go as is.

The JBL M2's are the closest to the 4722's, as they use similar tech, but with upgraded components in the M2. If I had the dough at the time, I would have gone with the M2's. But if you have the space, like huge dynamic speakers and willing to diy a bit, the 4722's are a good choice, if you can stand how fugly they are 🙂

Thank you very much for your reply. The careful integration of supporting electronics to make the 4722 viable for home use that you chose belies a degree of understanding that, if I'm honest, is way beyond the ken of this humanities major! The M2s and the 4367s are a bit rich for my blood but the 4429s might be contenders. But some irrational part of my brain is drawn to these 4722 monstrosities and the enormous sound they must surely produce...