IGNORED

Article: A Tale of Two Sennheisers: The HD820 and the HD800S

I own both HD800S and HD820. The HD800S has been the go to HP for two years something. The HD820S arrived in August 2018, after a week's burn in, I haven't touched the HD800S since, well maybe to dust it. I read the review above and thought, what's driving the HP's and the rest of the system, cause I honestly don't hear the tonally flawed character.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Interesting review, looking forward to more. The Beyerdynamic DT 1770 and DT 1990 Pro could be another closed/open comparison.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Excellent review!  I think I weigh the Clear's "cleaner" bass performance more than you do.  Also, I don't hear the Sennheisers as "leaning bright", they ARE bright, so the tonal balance of the Focal's wins easily for me (and this is before any DSP - something the Sennheisers don't respond well to).  Add that to the fact that "headstage" is something I find more elusive than most other HP enthusiasts (It's all "between the ears" and nothing compared to a normal two channel image IMO), the Sennheisers are a bit flawed - but I know I swim upstream in this opinion.  For better or worse, the Sennheiser 800 are the reference HP can in the TOTL arena.  I have no experience with the 820 but this comparison gives me a very good idea...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, crenca said:

Excellent review!  I think I weigh the Clear's "cleaner" bass performance more than you do.  Also, I don't hear the Sennheisers as "leaning bright", they ARE bright, so the tonal balance of the Focal's wins easily for me (and this is before any DSP - something the Sennheisers don't respond well to).  Add that to the fact that "headstage" is something I find more elusive than most other HP enthusiasts (It's all "between the ears" and nothing compared to a normal two channel image IMO), the Sennheisers are a bit flawed - but I know I swim upstream in this opinion.  For better or worse, the Sennheiser 800 are the reference HP can in the TOTL arena.  I have no experience with the 820 but this comparison gives me a very good idea...

The HD800 definitely are bright. But the HD800S corrects a lot of that, IMO.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:54 AM, One and a half said:

I own both HD800S and HD820. The HD800S has been the go to HP for two years something. The HD820S arrived in August 2018, after a week's burn in, I haven't touched the HD800S since, well maybe to dust it. I read the review above and thought, what's driving the HP's and the rest of the system, cause I honestly don't hear the tonally flawed character.

I mention the rest of my system in the review. 

I'm sure some people will prefer the HD800S. But it's undoubtedly a very colored headphone, and I just can't get past that huge dip, as someone who prefers only modest deviations from neutral.