bobfa

Article: Chord Electronics Poly Review | Poly Come Home

Bob,

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about the Poly plus Mojo too. I'm fairly convinced about the Mojo but on the fence for Poly. Mostly for portable use, commuting in planes, etc. 

I understand you can store flac/wav files in the SD card in the Poly and control it from a phone thru bluetooth. Does this work well?

Regards

Roon Server: Gigabyte GA-Z170X UD5, i5 6600, Crucial MX200 SSD, HyperX 1x16GB RAM, Seasonic 520W 80+ PSU, 3 HDD for media, Zalman Z3 Plus case, Win 10 Pro, convolving in Roon digital xo + DRC + upsampling. Output through ethernet.

Roon Client AudioPC: Intel S1200KPR, Xeon E3 1265lv2, Crucial V4 SSD for OS, 8GB ECC RAM, PPA USB card v2, wide range picoPSU, PPA SATA cable for SSD, Streacom FC8 Evo case, lab linear PSU for picoPSU, Windows Server 2012 R2, AudioPhil's Optimizer, Acourate (digital crossovers, room correction )

Rest of Chain:

Uptone ISO Regen (with LPS 1.2) into Lynx Hilo as 6-channel DAC, McIntosh MC275 MkIV for mids & treble, Hypex UcD400HG for midbass into B&W 804S, 2 DIY 12" Rythmik subs, Equi=Core 1800 balanced power, dedicated power lines, room treatments

Having a mojo/poly combo myself I have to say your experience matches mine 100%.

Easily the best ‘portable’ streamer/dac setup I’ve heard... but not for the faint of heart, or technologically lacking. Unfortunately the user experience let’s it down currently, making it way too cumbersome and inconvenient for me to recommend to ‘mainstream’/‘normal’ users

On 1/12/2019 at 5:54 AM, deathdisco said:

Having a mojo/poly combo myself I have to say your experience matches mine 100%.

Easily the best ‘portable’ streamer/dac setup I’ve heard... but not for the faint of heart, or technologically lacking. Unfortunately the user experience let’s it down currently, making it way too cumbersome and inconvenient for me to recommend to ‘mainstream’/‘normal’ users

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly, but there is one observation any future readers of this should be aware of. As the Poly, like the Mojo is an FGPA device, in April 2019 Chord Electronics released a ground-up rewrite as FW2.0. Machines now ship at this level.

Dot releases since have taken us to 2.0.4 and nearly all of the functionality promised has materialised. While still tweaky to master, the Poly is now much more performant in areas including WiFi, Bluetooth, DSD, Gapless and the addition of native (slightly flaky) Tidal and Qobuz support.(Please contact me if you want any tips on what works, particularly in the area of the best MPD/DLNA client software for the lossless streamers).

For the naysayers, it deserves a reassessment..

I completely agree with Patrick. I love my MojoPoly.  The upgrade of the firmware to 2.0 fixed all of the remaining problems for me. It's great to have a portable dac/amp that can stream Roon to me anywhere in my house.