IGNORED

Striving to understand the landscape of digital and streaming audio

Andrewteee

Hi Andrew - A few great questions. Thanks for asking, I know there are many people in the same boat.

I'm a big fan of Resolution Audio and Jeff Kalt's work. Smart choice and great value in HiFi.

A dedicated component versus a traditional computer is a very personal choice. In your RA . iMac system you may like the ability to work on the iMac and have instant access to switching tracks or searching for an artist in Tidal. If you switch to a dedicated server/streamer this will mean you now have an app on a tablet or mobile device to navigate. There is always a Roon Nucleus or ROCK that will enable you to use the desktop app for this as well. Again, it's about your style of listening and life. What's important to you?

Servers from Aurander or Lumin are popular and support Tidal and Qobuz. Auralic is another option that can serve music and is a bit more flexible. However, if you mainly stream, I'm not sure a solution that's a dedicated server is the best option.

If content is king for you, I highly recommend something from Sonos that passes the digital audio to your DAC. Nobody has the content partnerships that Sonos has. Whether it's HiFi or not is something audiophiles will debate forever. 

With respect to diagrams, what exactly are you looking for?

I have a feeling this is going to take a few back and forth exchanges to help you get where you want to go or get educated as you wish. There are many smart people around here who can help with whatever you need. The only hard part for you is asking the right questions and continuing to ask until you get what you need. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png