IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

Before using Roon with HQPlayer I always suggest to test HQPlayer alone.

1) Go to Audio menu and select 2 "STOP and disable all running audio services" If using Audiolinux lxqt, be sure that you don't have HQPlayer Desktop running.

2) Start only HQPlayer

3) Configure DAC etc. at ipaddress:8088

4) Set library at ipaddress:8088/library and try to play from there  or use UPnP from BubbleUPnP or Mconnect

5) If using a server/endpoint system, check if the endpoint is reachable going to console and typing

ping endpoint_ipaddress

6) Test that HQPlayer service is running correctly with

systemctl --user status hqplayerd

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

3 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

Before using Roon with HQPlayer I always suggest to test HQPlayer alone.

1) Go to Audio menu and select 2 "STOP and disable all running audio services" If using Audiolinux lxqt, be sure that you don't have HQPlayer Desktop running.

2) Start only HQPlayer

3) Configure DAC etc. at ipaddress:8088

4) Set library at ipaddress:8088/library and try to play from there  or use UPnP from BubbleUPnP or Mconnect

5) If using a server/endpoint system, check if the endpoint is reachable going to console and typing

ping endpoint_ipaddress

6) Test that HQPlayer service is running correctly with

systemctl --user status hqplayerd

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, mrkoven said:

Does anyone have any alternative chassis recommendations besides HDPlex?

For what exactly? just audiolinux with a DAC connected? or Audiolinux which will be upsampling with other options? the chassis depends mainly on the CPU heat to be released

2 hours ago, luisma said:

For what exactly? just audiolinux with a DAC connected? or Audiolinux which will be upsampling with other options? the chassis depends mainly on the CPU heat to be released

Yes AL connected to DAC with Roon/HQPe. Looking at 9900K for upsampling headroom. HDPlex H5 is not in stock for 2 months it seems. So wondering if there are any other good options for 95w TDP

12 hours ago, luisma said:

Check Turemetal, and Streacom

Or maybe consider going with a Fractal chassis with fans

A Fractal case with a big heatsink, no heatsink but with well placed chassis fans separately powered works well for a Hqplayer upsampling machine.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 4/27/2021 at 1:18 AM, hifi25nl said:

27/04/2021

Menu 279
Camilla DSP! New options:
In Expert menu '16 CAMILLADSP installation'. This script will install and configure Camilla DSP - a flexible linux IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc

For more information:

https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/349818-camilladsp-cross-platform-iir-fir-engine-crossovers-correction-etc.html
In Audio menu added '19 CAMILLADSP start and enable' and '20 CAMILLADSP GUI start and enable'
You can access Camilla DSP configuration at ipaddress:5002

Added new option 'CONVERT audio files to DSD' in Expert menu. This script will convert flac files to DSD dsf format up to DSD1024 with standard and expert options

Improved squeezelite configuration script now using the form hw:x,x for audio card

Wireless script remove previous stray wpa_supplicant links in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants

Added '11 NEWS' to main menu

Thank you for the update!  One question:  Is the DSD conversion on-the-fly (leaves the original files unchanged, but sends a DSD signal to the player software), or does it convert the FLAC files into DSD files permanently?  Thanks much!

No, it is not a conversion on-the-fly, you must convert your files before playing them.

The advantage is that your PC will work at the best, even with low power. If you have enough disk space...

Lat version of the script has these options:

1) SET your music directory
2) SET DSD sampling frequency
3) SET PCM sampling frequency
4) CONVERT PCM flac/wav/mp3 to DSD dsf
5) CONVERT DSD dff to DSD dsf
6) CONVERT DSD dff/dsf to PCM flac
7) UPSAMPLE/CONVERT PCM flac/wav/mp3 to PCM flac
8) UPSAMPLE/CONVERT DSD dff/dsf to DSD dsf
9) SET DSD extra conversion parameters (for experts)
10) SET PCM extra conversion parameters (for experts)
11) View, copy, move, delete your music files

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to mount a remote drive using the audiolinux system menu script.  The drive is an external USB drive attached to a Windows 10 PC on the same local network as the audiolinux machine.  I assume that I need to use the CIFS option, but I've also tried using NFS with a Debian install running on WSL2 (and that didn't work either).  The ip address of the Windows machine shows up on the list of SAMBA devices.  I'm a little confused about what user name and password to give the script.  The Windows machine is tied to my Office 365 account, so I entered that password.  For the user name, I looked up the user name in Windows and it's simply my full name with no space in between, so I used that.  I specified a name for the mount that will be created in the /media directory.  For the share, I enter the Windows name for the drive, "D:\".  After that, the system gets hung up.  I can CTRL-C out of it.  Then, when I navigate to the /media directory, the new directory is there, but it is empty.

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for your help.

Update: I figured out that I should designate the windows directory as shared.  I did so, with read permission for everybody.  The drive is now shared, with no password protection.  I now have a network address I can enter into when the script asks for the share.  I simply press enter when the script asks for user and password.  Now, after I enter the network address, the script gives me a quick message and jumps back into the menu.  It's too fast for me to read the message.  The new directory is still being created in /media, and it's still empty.

Be sure that you are logged in as user audiolinux and not root.

You can try also different versions of Samba. Audiolinux is using a very recent one.

Note that myshare in the example below is not necessarily the folder name of the remote share but the assigned samba name, that can be different.

The 2 computers must be in the same network.

Eventually you can first try manually in console as suggested here:

http://www.audio-linux.com/html/mount.html

For example:
sudo mount -t cifs //ip-address/myshare /media/samba -o workgroup=your_workgroup

With version (1.0 2.0 2.1 3.0 etc.):

sudo mount -t cifs //ip-address/myshare /media/samba -o version=your_version,workgroup=your_workgroup

Where you should substitute ip-addressmyshareyour_versionyour_workgroup with your values,

This way you are sure to see errors.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always used JRIver as my control for HQPe running on AL.

I have just started to upsample 44.1 files to 1411.2 using something called PGGB, see this AS thread:

When I play these files residing on an internal NVMe drive, I get lot of buffering and system crashes (JRiver freezes), and these files sometimes play with buffering, sometimes they just freeze.

When I play the same files in AL using HQP desktop, they play fine.

Let me know if you have any idea how to fix it? Seems some kind of settings thing between AL/JRiver/HQPe. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been using Euphony for the last year and decided to update my audio-linux license and downloaded the latest mini 310 version. Installed on NUC i7 running Roon/Tidal w/Holo Spring. Didn't add HQPlayer in yet. First reaction is the background is quieter, some edge is gone and the soundstage is wide.  I'm pretty happy!

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

8 minutes ago, jkelly said:

I have been using Euphony for the last year and decided to update my audio-linux license and downloaded the latest mini 310 version. Installed on NUC i7 running Roon/Tidal w/Holo Spring. Didn't add HQPlayer in yet. First reaction is the background is quieter, some edge is gone and the soundstage is wide.  I'm pretty happy!

That is good to hear!  Did you do any customization to the configuration?

Not yet - just running out of the box, with Roon server installed. Running off a 32 gb stick. Euphony was running off a HD so that may be a reason for the edge. I am forcing myself to just enjoy the music and not tweak, but the force is strong! :-)

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4