IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

16 minutes ago, ciccio1112 said:

Hi BigMac my nuc with celeron as an endpoint with 2 4GB banks works perfectly with the LPS1.2, you will still have something to disable in the bios.

Hi guys, @austinpop , I think Alan and I are running i7DNBE boards whereas the ds-1 and celeron are lower power. 

I personally have activated every low power option in BIOS.  

2 hours ago, seatrope said:

I had no luck booting with 1x 8GB stick, Alan. You might have luck with the appropriate 8GB stick selected for low current but it’s borderline even with 4GB on a LPS1.2 for me.

Thanks @seatrope,

That's useful as it means the 8gb ram stick might be a gamble. Need to think about it.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Alan, are you using your tX-USBultra? That is what I have. This should effectively shield you from whatever the current draw is from the downstream DAC.

Hi Rajiv,

Nope, not using the tx-usbultra at the moment so I guess that's an option. But brings other questions into play as I'd need to power it with the spare LPS-1 I kept 'just in case' 🙂if i want to keep the LPS-1.2 on the NUC.

Putting a lesser able PSU closest to the DAC seems counter intuitive. Its also a backwards step in terms of the old spaghetti conundrum. Not ruling it out but needs some thought.

2 hours ago, ciccio1112 said:

Hi BigMac my nuc with celeron as an endpoint with 2 4GB banks works perfectly with the LPS1.2, you will still have something to disable in the bios.

Thanks @ciccio1112but I suspect its the i7 board draws more power than the celeron. Think I caught everything in the Bios but defo worth checking again. 

Oh well some options to consider before my next attempt.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

2 hours ago, seatrope said:

Hi guys, @austinpop , I think Alan and I are running i7DNBE boards whereas the ds-1 and celeron are lower power. 

I personally have activated every low power option in BIOS.  

So one question would be whether a celeron NUC with 8gb RAM and large Squeezelite buffers outperforms or equals the more expensive and reportedly better sounding i7DNBE board.

Might be a cheaper way to NUC endpoint nirvana if the large buffers helps equal the SQ of the more expensive i7 board.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

11 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Rajiv. 

If Squeezelite is used as the endpoint rather than Roonbridge; do you then lose all the beauty of using the Roon interface?

G

Yes, you can still use Roon's beautiful UI interface and library management but one thing to note is when using Roon/SL combo, the sample rate is limited to 192K for PCM and DSD64 Dop for DSD content. This is not the case when you use LMS/SL combo and is Roon's limitation. I wish Roon could put some effort to remove this limitation.

31 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Rajiv,

Nope, not using the tx-usbultra at the moment so I guess that's an option. But brings other questions into play as I'd need to power it with the spare LPS-1 I kept 'just in case' 🙂if i want to keep the LPS-1.2 on the NUC.

Putting a lesser able PSU closest to the DAC seems counter intuitive. Its also a backwards step in terms of the old spaghetti conundrum. Not ruling it out but needs some thought.

If your tX-U and LPS-1 are gathering dust, then why not just try it? It'll at least tell you if 8GB will work. That will confirm the theory that whatever is downstream of your NUC was drawing more current than a tX-U does.

Then first listen without changing to SL (i.e. with Roon Bridge). Did it degrade the sound? Then fire up SL, and see what you think. No one has the answers. You just have to try it and decide for yourself. :)

25 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

So one question would be whether a celeron NUC with 8gb RAM and large Squeezelite buffers outperforms or equals the more expensive and reportedly better sounding i7DNBE board.

Might be a cheaper way to NUC endpoint nirvana if the large buffers helps equal the SQ of the more expensive i7 board.

Cheers,

Alan

Good thought. I have both DNBE and PJ whatever (the J5005 one), would be another project to try.

I haven't ventured into Squeezelite yet, as I frequently listen to DSD128/DSD256 which I understand is not possible, right?

I am having a problem and I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I am running AL on a i7BEH headless in ram - everything was working great, but I wanted to try lowering the power in BIOS to low power mode. So I inserted the USB stick, ran 'ramsave', then rebooted into BIOS, made the change, now when I restart, I get an error message "a bootable device has not been detected". I tried shutting down, removing the USB stick, then trying again... but no luck. I even went back into BIOS and changed back the power setting to what it was before, restarting and I get the same error message.

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

53 minutes ago, gsquared said:

I am having a problem and I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I am running AL on a i7BEH headless in ram - everything was working great, but I wanted to try lowering the power in BIOS to low power mode. So I inserted the USB stick, ran 'ramsave', then rebooted into BIOS, made the change, now when I restart, I get an error message "a bootable device has not been detected". I tried shutting down, removing the USB stick, then trying again... but no luck. I even went back into BIOS and changed back the power setting to what it was before, restarting and I get the same error message.

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks!

Have you checked that the USB port you're using to boot from isn't disabled or has power disabled?

Cheers,

Alan

39 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Have you checked that the USB port you're using to boot from isn't disabled or has power disabled?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan, yes the USB port is enabled. It's the same port I've been using over the past month or so.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

7 minutes ago, seatrope said:

@gsquared I had a similar message. My usb stick had gone corrupt, and using Rufus found bad blocks. Reimage and start over?

Maybe bad blocks. I hope I don't have to start over because my Roon DB is on that and I have a lot of playlists, tags, etc that I don't want to have to recreate.

I installed a second usb stick and booted from it and ran fdisk -l and both USB sticks are visible. But my main stick will not boot. So it may very well be corrupted. I am going to see if I can access my Roon DB files and copy them over to the working usb stick. Then install an Optane stick and copy the Roon files there so I can minimize the risk of losing all of my Roon stuff going forward.

1 hour ago, gsquared said:

So I inserted the USB stick, ran 'ramsave', then rebooted into BIOS, made the change, now when I restart, I get an error message "a bootable device has not been detected".

Why did you do a ramsave?  What changes had you made to AL?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 minutes ago, rickca said:

Why did you do a ramsave?  What changes had you made to AL?

I did a ramsave because I made some changes to my Roon library (tags, added tracks to a few playlists, etc). I only made standard changes to AL: set the date & time, modified fstab to mount my external HDD that stores my Roon music library, changed from DHCP to a static IP address.

That's all I can think of.

8 minutes ago, gsquared said:

Maybe bad blocks. I hope I don't have to start over because my Roon DB is on that and I have a lot of playlists, tags, etc that I don't want to have to recreate.

I installed a second usb stick and booted from it and ran fdisk -l and both USB sticks are visible. But my main stick will not boot. So it may very well be corrupted. I am going to see if I can access my Roon DB files and copy them over to the working usb stick. Then install an Optane stick and copy the Roon files there so I can minimize the risk of losing all of my Roon stuff going forward.

Gsquared,

Are going to boot off of the Octane stick and run from RAM?   It would be cool if you could document the steps for that so others can duplicate the process.  

Bob

11 minutes ago, gsquared said:

when booted on the 2nd stick, run fsck on the main stick to see if it can fix anything.

1 minute ago, bobfa said:

Gsquared,

Are going to boot off of the Octane stick and run from RAM?   It would be cool if you could document the steps for that so others can duplicate the process.  

Bob

I think I will continue to boot from a usb stick but have my roon db stored on the Optane stick. So it will probably boot to ram from the usb stick, then have some script that saves my roon db to the Optane stick. I'm not entirely sure it this is correct, but once I figure it out, I'll document it for sure.

1 minute ago, gsquared said:

I think I will continue to boot from a usb stick but have my roon db stored on the Optane stick. So it will probably boot to ram from the usb stick, then have some script that saves my roon db to the Optane stick. I'm not entirely sure it this is correct, but once I figure it out, I'll document it for sure.

That is great then others can more simply play with that config. 

8 minutes ago, Dev said:

when booted on the 2nd stick, run fsck on the main stick to see if it can fix anything.

That's a good idea! (typical response from a Linux novice like me) 😀

I had a USB flash drive get corrupted, but at boot time it gave me a message to run fsck.  I didn't get the problem you're reporting with no bootable device detected.  I guess it depends what control structure got damaged.

I hope one of the Linux gurus can help you repair it.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

25 minutes ago, Dev said:

I ran fsck on the main stick and it gave me a message saying 'clean' so I tried booting from it again and I still get the same error.

Odd because one usb stick works and the other doesn't, yet they are both recognized when running fdisk -l

Maybe fsck doesn't check the control structures that indicate it's a bootable device.  I'd ask Piero if there's a way to salvage it.

3 minutes ago, gsquared said:

I ran fsck on the main stick and it gave me a message saying 'clean' so I tried booting from it again and I still get the same error.

Odd because one usb stick works and the other doesn't, yet they are both recognized when running fdisk -l

Bios boot error can occur sometimes if gpt is corrupted. Are you sure fdisk doesn't show any error ? If your 2nd disk contains the same stuff as the main stick, the easier thing to do to revive the main is to dd from the 2nd disk to the main one.

59 minutes ago, gsquared said:

I hope I don't have to start over because my Roon DB is on that and I have a lot of playlists, tags, etc that I don't want to have to recreate.

The database is at: /var/roon/RoonServer/Database

Just copy it over to the new disk that would be the easiest method, or even copy over /var/roon/RoonServer