IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

5 hours ago, Bricki said:

I installed the BFQ 5.2 kernel on my server and endpoint... the server worked fine... However the endpoint now won't start roonbridge.. I only have 4GB of RAM in the Celeron nuc so maybe this has finally become a problem.

Updated kernel on endpoint, works fine with HQP on server. 

Interesting.  Chord DAC's are particularly sensitive to RF in the 2-2.5GHz range.  Larry, have you dug up anything equivalent for USB 2.0?  IIRC, that is a fixed clock protocol (vs spread spectrum) but it has been a LONG time since I've looked at USB at the data transport layer

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

2 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Interesting.  Chord DAC's are particularly sensitive to RF in the 2-2.5GHz range.  Larry, have you dug up anything equivalent for USB 2.0?  IIRC, that is a fixed clock protocol (vs spread spectrum) but it has been a LONG time since I've looked at USB at the data transport layer

No, I haven't seen anything similar written about USB 2.0.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

9 minutes ago, lmitche said:

While it's a long way from conclusive, I am enjoying an experiment with an 8 core Ryzen 7 2700 machine as Roonserver on Audiolinux. This replaces the 4 core 6700k used previously. The prior machine used a Asus ROG 270g motherboard. This one is an Asus ROG B450-i motherboard. The optane boot drive is in the direct to cpu m.2 slot. Running without a GPU increases SQ.

SQ is at a new level, with more transparency and punch across the spectrum. Various AL tuning options have a big impact, especially isolated cores. The machine is idle 99.5% of the time during playback.

With AL 5 the 4 port Startech Asmedia card has stopped working. Because of this, the motherboards native USB3.1 and NUC ports are being used instead.

Stay tuned for more. It is early days and there is much to be learned.

Which exact isolation cores option you use?

30 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Running without a GPU increases SQ.

Didn't you have the processor graphics disabled in BIOS on the i7-6700K?

31 minutes ago, lmitche said:

With AL 5 the 4 port Startech Asmedia card has stopped working. Because of this, the motherboards native USB3.1 and NUC ports are being used instead.

What do you mean by NUC port?  Are you using the motherboard ethernet or built-in wifi?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, lmitche said:

While it's a long way from conclusive, I am enjoying an experiment with an 8 core Ryzen 7 2700 machine as Roonserver on Audiolinux. This replaces the 4 core 6700k used previously. The prior machine used a Asus ROG 270g motherboard. This one is an Asus ROG B450-i motherboard. The optane boot drive is in the direct to cpu m.2 slot. Running without a GPU increases SQ.

SQ is at a new level, with more transparency and punch across the spectrum. Various AL tuning options have a big impact, especially isolated cores. The machine is idle 99.5% of the time during playback.

Stay tuned for more. It is early days and there is much to be learned.

The CPU power circuitry of the ROG Strix Z270G Gaming is a powerful 10-phase (8+2) design, with the phases distributed to the four different input voltages that the modern 1151 CPUs require (Core, I/O, Graphics, and System).

The Asus ROG B450-i VRM is in a 6+1 phase configuration with each phase utilizing an IR3553 40A PowIRstage for the CPU VCore, and then a single 60A IR3555 for the SoC.

Convetional wisdom would be that the 8+2 phase design would offer an advantage in terms of power quality & ripple.  A 6 Phase system will reduce ripple by 50%.

I'm interested in your findings - so have there been any other changes.  Are you comparing like for like?

12 hours ago, lmitche said:

With AL 5 the 4 port Startech Asmedia card has stopped working

Hey Larry, why aren't you running headless 1.4.0? I'm sure you have a valid reason running the full version that's why I'm asking. I was under the impression headless with minimal footprint would "enhance" some things even more.

7 minutes ago, luisma said:

Hey Larry, why aren't you running headless 1.4.0? I'm sure you have a valid reason running the full version that's why I'm asking. I was under the impression headless with minimal footprint would "enhance" some things even more.

Hey Luismaz who said I was not running headless 1.4.0?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

8 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Convetional wisdom would be that the 8+2 phase design would offer an advantage in terms of power quality & ripple.  A 6 Phase system will reduce ripple by 50%.

Good point, conventional wisdom like you mentioned states that more phases = better voltage regulation but there is also a consensus that the component quality used for the VRM's is critical, all I'm saying is "it is not only about # of phases". Ultimately Larry should be able to tell.

Thanks for providing the phase info on both boards.

6 hours ago, seatrope said:

Weird. So every time I reboot on kernel 5.2.0 I have to manually reactivate Ethernet using up link set up enp2s0. 

That is very strange. @hifi25nl

Did you update additional packages as well? If you update kernel only, you would have a connectivity problem. I had initially with 5.2.0 before I went through updating routine again: menu, kernel, packages.