IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

3 minutes ago, lpost said:

pstate-frequency doesn't work if I have 'Quiet n' Cool' disabled in bios.  It's AMD version of Intel SpeedStep.  

I adjust the mulitplier for CPU frequency in bios.  I find the slowest Ghz sounds the best in my system.  It's still plenty of HP for my use, a bit of low frequency eq and convolution filters (that I need to re-measure and update for dual subs).

Worth a try, checking SpeedStep setting.  I believe this is what allows for scaling.

Thanks very much. I do have Speedstep and Turbo on. pstate-frequency works fine for me, just not after booting to isolated cores.

13 minutes ago, ronfint said:

I did update with yaourt -S pstate-frequency on Wednesday. I thought that I had both working together, but when I checked CPU frequency in the Status menu, I realized that it was not working.I also checked with  cpupower frequency-info.I then wrote to Piero who confirmed that I was correct, and he said that he would investigate. 

My above message was asking whether the commands involving echo your_frequency > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq 

offer a work around.

As the problem was fixed here with bios changes there is no need for a work around and one hasn't been tested.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I ask Piero so much and he always is so quick and patient in his answers, so a big compliment.

But now I have a question I really don't dare ask him.

When you open a menu item , at the right underside of the screen appears a percentage, like 28% or likewise.

I can't figure out what it possibly mean... anyone?

3 hours ago, JohanJ said:

I ask Piero so much and he always is so quick and patient in his answers, so a big compliment.

But now I have a question I really don't dare ask him.

When you open a menu item , at the right underside of the screen appears a percentage, like 28% or likewise.

I can't figure out what it possibly mean... anyone?

I think that in case you have not displayed the whole menu on your screen, it is telling you how far down you have scrolled.

34 minutes ago, ronfint said:

I think that in case you have not displayed the whole menu on your screen, it is telling you how far down you have scrolled.

Thanks for that. It has always been confusing to see the results with the "OK" button enabled and also see what looks like a progress update number. Since the OK button was available and everything always seemed to work I just ignored it. It would probably be less confusing to just have a scroll bar on the side.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

2 hours ago, ronfint said:

Good to know I am not alone in this.... I have the same experience, thinking it was a sort of progress indication. Thanks for the explanation.

I finally updated the latest version of AL and I am configuring the Optane stick to store my Roon DB.

Thank you Piero for the awesome work on updating and improving this and for the amazing customer support!

Newbie question: My old USB stick contains my Roon DB. While booted from the updated USB stick, I want to plug in my old USB stick and copy the Roon DB from the old one to the new one. What is the Linux command to do this?

Once I've copied the DB to the new USB stick, I will use the "Transfer Roon database to another drive" feature in AL to move it to the Optane memory.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

2 hours ago, gsquared said:

I finally updated the latest version of AL and I am configuring the Optane stick to store my Roon DB.

Thank you Piero for the awesome work on updating and improving this and for the amazing customer support!

Newbie question: My old USB stick contains my Roon DB. While booted from the updated USB stick, I want to plug in my old USB stick and copy the Roon DB from the old one to the new one. What is the Linux command to do this?

Once I've copied the DB to the new USB stick, I will use the "Transfer Roon database to another drive" feature in AL to move it to the Optane memory.

i usually back up the db in roon, build/configure my new stick, and then restore the roon db within roon.  works perfectly.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
8 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

i usually back up the db in roon, build/configure my new stick, and then restore the roon db within roon.  works perfectly.

That sounds like an easy way to do it. When you back up your db in Roon, where do store it? I’m wondering if I can store it on my music library on an external drive.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

2 minutes ago, gsquared said:

That sounds like an easy way to do it. When you back up your db in Roon, where do store it? I’m wondering if I can store it on my music library on an external drive.

i back up my roon db in roon every night to a nas -- it's easy for me to retrieve as a result.  it is the same drive (different folder) as my music library.

you should have no trouble backing it up to an external drive -- just reference the same location you reference for your music library.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
4 hours ago, jcn3 said:

Well I was able to backup my roon db on my music drive, but when I tried to restore it, it seemed like it finished the restore, but now it's giving me a screen that says "There was an issue loading your database" Don't worry. Roon staff... etc. etc.

I quit Roon and restarted and now it's at the Choose your Roon Core screen and it shows audiolinux, but it seems to be stuck at Initializing...

Has anyone had this issue before?

Choose Your Roon Core.png

Never mind... I was able to get it working after a few more attempts. 

Thanks @jcn3 for the tip!

On 4/27/2019 at 7:19 PM, gsquared said:

Well I was able to backup my roon db on my music drive, but when I tried to restore it, it seemed like it finished the restore, but now it's giving me a screen that says "There was an issue loading your database" Don't worry. Roon staff... etc. etc.

I quit Roon and restarted and now it's at the Choose your Roon Core screen and it shows audiolinux, but it seems to be stuck at Initializing...

Has anyone had this issue before?

Choose Your Roon Core.png

Assuming this os from and ipad or iPhone .  Just force quite the app and try again.  Roon UI gets stuck on a regularl basis.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:20 AM, hifi25nl said:

New Option "Load music to memory" in main menu and "ENABLE/DISABLE play music from memory" in the configuration menu with version 113!

Here an example:

MUSIC2RAM CONFIGURATION

This script will create the folder /media/ramdisk
All music files copied to this folder will be loaded to RAM
Remember to add /media/ramdisk to your player music library
Since this configuration script will modify /etc/fstab, if you are in ram mode you should reboot to normal mode answering N to ramroot boot prompt
When configuration is done, you should select your music files with the corresponding option in the main menu
1-Enable and configure
2-Disable
3-Exit

Hi Piero,

Sorry for the ignorance but how is this different to 2Gb output buffer settings in Squeezelite as expounded here previously when in Ramroot mode?

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

This option was designed for applications that don't support something like that squeezelite option.

If you use squeezelite is much easier to set buffer to some value, since music2ram is manual, that is you must load each time your music (but if have not finished listening your album you can set it to reload automatically after a reboot)

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

On 4/30/2019 at 3:39 AM, Dev said:

Intel rocks !!!

All streamers using non-intel platforms will soon be obsolete.

Obsolete? How is that? Because the new Intel chips go back to the 15W TPD from the 7th generation, (idea is that lower is better) and have maybe more cores than previous generations (idea is that more is better). How are these small improvements so earth shattering making other platforms 'obsolete'?

Tough to keep track of the  latest, greatest config with AL/NUC, wondering if I've missed something important with

the configuration below?

1) on endpoint side I run

Bios: speed step off, low power mode, all peripherals other than USB disabled, wired Ethernet

AL: latest version with NUMA disabled, Roonbridge, realtime priority extreme, ethernet rate limited to 100, RAMroot

2) on server side I run

BIOS: speed step off, high power mode, all peripherals other than USB disabled, wired Ethernet

AL: latest version with NUMA disabled, Roonserver, realtime priority extreme, boot extreme, ethernet rate limited to 100, RAMroot

media USB3 connected with independent LPS power

got wifi working on the endpoint NUC7PJYH but wasn't impressed, still need to experiment with the server NUC 8i3BEH to see if it can do better.

Not impressed with dedicated audio cores so far.

Squeezelite for Roon endpoint sounds interesting but for some reason I could never see the endpoint when I enabled in Roonserver and AL menu,

wish there were a walkthrough of how to do this with the enhanced buffer settings?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system