IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

3 minutes ago, mourip said:

I now have an email in to Piero.

Please let us know if you get this resolved.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

19 minutes ago, rickca said:

Please let us know if you get this resolved.

I am not sure if I am more embarrassed or confused.

I seem to be booting to ramroot and am also on the new kernel version. I am pretty sure that I followed the correct steps to disable ramroot, update the kernel files, and reboot at which time I got that error when I tried to re-enable ramroot. Thinking back on my early experimenting with AL I believe that the error I received is one that comes when you are already in ramroot.

I guess that all is well that ends well?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

20 minutes ago, mourip said:

So does the command ramroot status indicate that you are in fact already running in ramroot?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

20 minutes ago, mourip said:

I am not sure if I am more embarrassed or confused.

I seem to be booting to ramroot and am also on the new kernel version. I am pretty sure that I followed the correct steps to disable ramroot, update the kernel files, and reboot at which time I got that error when I tried to re-enable ramroot. Thinking back on my early experimenting with AL I believe that the error I received is one that comes when you are already in ramroot.

I think with the updates, there is a bug somewhere. I also faced the same issue. This is how I resolved

1. ramroot disable

2. reboot

3. check status after reboot using 'ramroot status' and it should say

:: ramroot status: disabled

4. enable ramroot from menu option

2 minutes ago, Dev said:

ramroot disable

I think Piero said not to use ramroot disable (and use ramroot remove instead) because it can give unpredictable results. 

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

I think Piero said not to use ramroot disable (and use ramroot remove instead) because it can give unpredictable results. 

Wasn't aware of it but those are the steps that solved my issue. I guess 'remove' should have been the better step.

The ramroot setting state of the newly downloaded kernel supercedes the prior state of ramroot on a system as it overwrites the existing kernel. This setting can be set randomly to ramroot or not, although most often it seems set to ramroot. When set to ramroot, there is no reason to enable ramroot a second time.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

The ramroot setting state of the newly downloaded kernel supercedes the prior state of ramroot on a system as it overwrites the existing kernel. This setting can be set randomly to ramroot or not, although most often it seems set to ramroot. When set to ramroot, there is no reason to enable ramroot a second time.

That makes sense based upon what I experienced.

I did get a reply from Piero. His emphasis...

1) Boot to normal mode answering N to ramroot boot prompt
2) type
 ramroot remove 
on command line or use the menu option to do this
3) Reboot
4) Reinstall kernel with the menu option
5) Reboot
6) type
ramroot -F enable
on command line or use the menu option to do this
7) Reboot

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 4/4/2019 at 8:16 AM, hifi25nl said:

2) Euphony blacklist some modules in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist snd_hda_intel
blacklist snd-hda-intel
blacklist iwlmvm
blacklist iwldvm
blacklist iwlwifi
blacklist bnep
blacklist btusb
blacklist bluetooth
blacklist joydev
blacklist mousedev
blacklist iTCO_vendor_support
blacklist iTCO_wdt
blacklist ip_tables
blacklist mei_me
blacklist intel_rapl
blacklist intel_powerclamp

Just getting back to AL tweaking, catching up on all the goodies from the last several weeks (thanks to all!)

For those that have been experimenting with blacklist modules, is there a consensus on which make the most sense for AL on end points and server?  I'm not seeing most of these with lsmod, but I'm seeing a lot of others that may be candidates to disable (NUC7i7DNKE for both end point and server, running Roon)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

57 minutes ago, lpost said:

Anyone else running the NUMA-off kernel notice sluggish response via SSH?

I don't really mind as it sounds great just curious as I've not seen it mentioned.

After Roon finished its startup shenanigans, all is normal.

54 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

Just getting back to AL tweaking, catching up on all the goodies from the last several weeks (thanks to all!)

For those that have been experimenting with blacklist modules, is there a consensus on which make the most sense for AL on end points and server?  I'm not seeing most of these with lsmod, but I'm seeing a lot of others that may be candidates to disable (NUC7i7DNKE for both end point and server, running Roon)

I see some kvm stuff in lsmod that may be a good candidate for removal.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

16 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I see some kvm stuff in lsmod that may be a good candidate for removal.

I was also eyeing a bunch of the non-PCM stuff on the snd_usb_audio dependency tree

I'm leary of trimming i915 and the rest of the video tree (make the system truly headless) since I sometimes have to hook up a monitor to debug these beasts.  One take I'm thinking of is a script to rmmod a bunch of these things that I manually run after boot.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers