IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

59 minutes ago, Dutch said:

New kernel today:

The problem with some of these kernel updates is that they include security features (a bit like windows updates) I don't know how feasible it is to compile one with some security features not good for audio, removed.

3 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

The problem with some of these kernel updates is that they include security features (a bit like windows updates) I don't know how feasible it is to compile one with features not good for audio, removed.

Valid point IMO, though I have always been assuming Piero is taking care of that part.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

New kernel today:

12/04/2019 New kernel linux-rt-bfq-4.19.31.rt18 without NUMA enabled. A version with NUMA enabled (necessary for HQPlayer CUDA acceleration) can be found here

Hi Piero @hifi25nl,

How is the above kernel different than the numa disabled kernel released yesterday?

Thanks,

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi @hifi25nl,

Piero - firstly kudos on the ongoing improvements and pace of adding stuff to AL.

I downloaded the latest kernel and I'd recently added both the asound.conf settings and the blacklist.conf setting. All of these are contributing to a very, very nice sound. Great work!

I'm struggling with something though and wondered if you can help. I recently removed the SSD from my NUC Server and put the music onto an external SD card reader/hub.

I've been able to mount it both using your mount local drive utility and also using the command line prompt: 

mount /dev/sdb1 /media/SR2/

However, it does not persist and after a reboot I need to mount is again. [And yes, I mounted it in non-RAM boot mode each time].

When I look at fstab, I see the following entry:

#/dev/sdb1       /media/SR2           exfat    defaults        0       0 

I'm thinking it's missing the UUID and that's why it's not automounting after a reboot?

I see the UUID as:  UUID="9C33-6BBD"

So how do I configure the fstab entry to automount? I'm thinking it should be:

#/dev/sdb1

UUID=9C33-6BBD       /media/SR2           exfat    defaults        0       0 

But given previous issues where I've made it unbootable by screwing up the fstab I wanted to check first.

Many Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

1 minute ago, LTG2010 said:

Hi Alan,

Replace "media" with the UUID

Brilliant!

Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

14 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Brilliant!

Thanks,

Alan

I might be wrong let me check again

Edit it should begin with UUID=

When you use Pieros mount script check the Fstab there should be an entry without the hashtag UUID= ?

Can you post that? It should read something like UUID=Disk..... replace the ''Disk'' part with the correct UUID

The script does not support exfat. Why? Because I discourage the use of fat32, exfat etc. :)

The line in /etc/fstab should be

UUID=...  /media/SR2  exfat nofail,noatime,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,forceuid,forcegid 0 0

(replace ... with the UUID given by the command blkid)

To be sure, also give to the folder SR2 large permissions:

chmod 777 /media/SR2

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

3 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

The script does not support exfat. Why? Because I discourage the use of fat32, exfat etc. :)

The line in /etc/fstab should be

UUID=...  /media/SR2  exfat nofail,noatime,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,forceuid,forcegid 0 0

(replace ... with the UUID given by the command blkid)

To be sure, also give to the folder SR2 large permissions:

chmod 777 /media/SR2

Thanks Piero!

Appreciate it.

Out of interest is there a benefit to reformating the SD card to say NTFS or suchlike?

Cheers,

Alan

1 hour ago, hifi25nl said:

Yes, in case of crash fat32 is a problem. Ideal is ext4.

It's not a boot drive, just storage. But that raises the question of given the SD drive is always connected is it possible to move the Audiolinux boot image / partition or whatever to the SD card to avoid having to mess around inserting and removing the USB stick?

I'm thinking this is not possible but can't recall why.

Cheers,

Alan

2 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

What is the difference? Removing USB stick or removing the SD card is the same.

The SD card is always attached as the music library is on it.

I added a 512GB SD card, a Lexar SR2 card reader and a Lexar hub. The hub is separately powered by an Uptone LPS-1.

Hence wondering if putting the AL boot image there makes sense. Would still want to ramroot tho.

Cheers,

Alan

1 minute ago, hifi25nl said:

You could use the clone option in the configuration menu, hoping that your computer is allowing boot from SD

Ah so any possible limitation is on the NUCs BIOS rather than the software.

Cool. Thanks will look into it and perhaps give it a go.

Cheers,

Alan

15 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Ah so any possible limitation is on the NUCs BIOS rather than the software.

Cool. Thanks will look into it and perhaps give it a go.

Cheers,

Alan

I was originally booting AL from micro SDXC card on a USB multimedia stick, so should work. Suspect you would have to use Rufus to image the SDXC card, then adjust remaining partition space to full size for music storage.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

9 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

If you boot with a USB audiolinux stick  and use the clone option you can choose to use 100% space,  or only a part of it.

The remaining part will be formatted as another partition with label "Music" automatically.

If one does this and later on wishes to install a new version of AudioLinux, what would be the best way to install to the first two partitions and leave the “Music” partition intact?

Thanks!