IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

48 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Many of us have been using Optane for boot and database storage on audio servers.  I have been testing it in two servers that I built.   I am also looking at it for storage in endpoints where we have been using USB sticks.  The goal there is to see if there is an audible difference to eliminate the USB stick reboot issue.  Most of the testing done so far appears to support that running AL in RAM improves audio quality.

From the little research I had time to do there are AMD boards that can use Optane as storage but not as hard drive cache. 

I did a little blog post about this stuff.  Thanks for the idea!  I am behind on these.

Thanks for your reply. I just read your blog post.

You mention Optane's low latency benefits. Are they only achievable on Intel based systems?

In this NVMe SSD round-up it seems that Optane is slower in terms of writes/reads. 

To use Optane in an AMD system, as you say, as storage only, does it still make sense with a USB loaded RAM OS?

BTW, the AMD motherboard I am looking at for compatibility is Supermicro H11DSi.  

17 hours ago, bibo01 said:

You mention Optane's low latency benefits. Are they only achievable on Intel based systems?

In this NVMe SSD round-up it seems that Optane is slower in terms of writes/reads. 

To use Optane in an AMD system, as you say, as storage only, does it still make sense with a USB loaded RAM OS?

BTW, the AMD motherboard I am looking at for compatibility is Supermicro H11DSi.  

I don't want to get too far off subject here.  I boot my server off of Optane into RAM.  I have no experience with AMD motherboards, but in this application the Optane is not being used and  drive acceleration system, it is used to boot and in my case Roon library.

18 hours ago, bibo01 said:

In the NVME roundup the three Optane drives are faster in the short 4k test. This is exactly the kind of traffic generated by Roon by it's DB operations during playback. In long file transfers Optane is no slouch, just not the fastest at all times. No traffic is best, but if you must have it, then service times at 25% of other options is a good thing.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

In the NVME roundup the three Optane drives are faster in the short 4k test. This is exactly the kind of traffic generated by Roon by it's DB operations during playback. In long file transfers Optane is no slouch, just not the fastest at all times. No traffic is best, but if you must have it, then service times at 25% of other options is a good thing.

The soon to be released Intel M2 Optane H10 seems an interesting solution as it has both types of memory and it comes at a cheaper price, more convenient MB/$.

5 hours ago, bibo01 said:

The soon to be released Intel M2 Optane H10 seems an interesting solution as it has both types of memory and it comes at a cheaper price, more convenient MB/$.

With AL and a Roon database for 5500 albums my 32 gb NVME Optane is 2/3rds empty. Cost was $62.

The 3D-Xpoint doesn't have the sound quality killing high frequency noise of SSD flash.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Checkout my post on page 520 on the "Novel" thread. Since then, there are further pages of dialog about ssds and hdds and ridicule by the inexperienced. LOL.

This post? 

I tried to figure it out but one needs to combine multiple posts of yours to figure out what you’re using.

So you’re using a Startech PEXUSB314A2V USB3.1 card in your i7 6700K server, powered by 12V coming from a HDPlex PSU. To that USB card you have connected some self powered Startech USB3.1  3.5” HDD enclosure containing a 3.5” WD Black HDD. Couldn’t find a mention of the way you’re powering the HDD enclosure but you seem to be using many different types of DIY LT3045 regulators in many parts of your system so that could also be used here.

I don’t see any ridicule BTW but perhaps I did not read far enough after the page you mention. In any case I would not blame the readers here for no being able to follow what you’re doing considering the bits and pieces of information scattered everywhere.

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

Checkout my post on page 520 on the "Novel" thread. Since then, there are further pages of dialog about ssds and hdds and ridicule by the inexperienced. LOL.

1 TB SSD has gotten to be pretty affordable, ~$150 vs adding a bigger (more costly) SDXC card to my Lexar USB3 stack. The question in my mind is whether an external USB3 enclosure would be better than putting it inside the NUC? Some sacrifice in access speed there but seems to me that independently powering the drive would be a good thing...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

1 TB SSD has gotten to be pretty affordable, ~$150 vs adding a bigger (more costly) SDXC card to my Lexar USB3 stack. The question in my mind is whether an external USB3 enclosure would be better than putting it inside the NUC? Some sacrifice in access speed there but seems to me that independently powering the drive would be a good thing...

Well a 1tb WD black drive and usb3.1 gen 2 Startech enclosure costs $120 in total plus you avoid the music crushing SSD noise. Add a 12 volt linear power supply and you have a great solution for a NUC server. Even better add a double or triple regulated lt3045 chain.

7 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Well a 1tb WD black drive and usb3.1 gen 2 Startech enclosure costs $120 in total plus you avoid the music crushing SSD noise. Add a 12, or 15 volt (3 amp lt3045 to 12 volt ) linear power supply and you have a great solution for a NUC server.

Larry, have you experimented with the USB cable from the Startech enclosure to your server ? Though I don't have the Startech enclosure (I am using owc enclsoure), I swapped out the stock usb3 cable with an wireworld usb 2.0 cable that I had laying around and it sounds different.

1 minute ago, Dev said:

Larry, have you experimented with the USB cable from the Startech enclosure to your server ? Though I don't have the Startech enclosure (I am using owc enclsoure), I swapped out the stock usb3 cable with an wireworld usb 2.0 cable that I had laying around and it sounds different.

I've got a Startech USB 3 cable with a handmade lush 2 type jssg360 shielding configuration.

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

This post? 

I tried to figure it out but one needs to combine multiple posts of yours to figure out what you’re using.

So you’re using a Startech PEXUSB314A2V USB3.1 card in your i7 6700K server, powered by 12V coming from a HDPlex PSU. To that USB card you have connected some self powered Startech USB3.1  3.5” HDD enclosure containing a 3.5” WD Black HDD. Couldn’t find a mention of the way you’re powering the HDD enclosure but you seem to be using many different types of DIY LT3045 regulators in many parts of your system so that could also be used here.

I don’t see any ridicule BTW but perhaps I did not read far enough after the page you mention. In any case I would not blame the readers here for no being able to follow what you’re doing considering the bits and pieces of information scattered everywhere.

You get what you get. Take it or leave it.

21 minutes ago, lmitche said:

You get what you get. Take it or leave it.

Fortunately I’ve heard you’re treating your paying customers better than these people here in this community asking you questions (not me, I’ve never asked you anything) or tryi g to converse with you. All the best! Just remember where you’re from.

56 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Fortunately I’ve heard you’re treating your paying customers better than these people here in this community asking you questions (not me, I’ve never asked you anything) or tryi g to converse with you. All the best! Just remember where you’re from.

That's right, you get what you give.

You are new here, what will you be giving this community?

16 minutes ago, lmitche said:

That's right, you get what you give.

Huh..You get what you give? You’re now talking about me? I just wrote I never asked you (for) anything.

Looks like you entirely missed my point but it doesn’t matter. I guess, bottomline, I just wanted to say that I think you’re a bit pretentious and not really as helpful as you think you are. I also don’t see any of your ‘contributions’ mentioned in the index of the massive thread. That’s all, no harm done by you, except perhaps a little to the people who you brush off or call unexperienced. They’ll get over it. :)

19 minutes ago, lmitche said:

What will you be giving this community?

Whatever I see fit. But I’m not in it with a commercial hat as well.

11 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Inevitable Internet Entropy Theory.

“The theory that given time everything on the Internet will devolve into poor quality content designed to drive advertisement revenue through clickbait, stolen, and/or inflammatory content.”

OK :)

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

33 minutes ago, lmitche said:

How sad!

If I can help anyone in the future, you can reach me at the address below.

All the best,

Larry

I now see you edited this in. This didn’t need to have escalated to this.

C’mon, as far as I know it’s just the opinion of one person: me. Just forget it and as I see you started this topic; feel free to delete these posts and/or have an admin ban me.

17 minutes ago, lmitche said:

If I can help anyone in the future, you can reach me at the address below

As the topic starter, can I ask what the purpose of this topic is? I would like to get a clear understanding of your intentions (when it is to generate business for your company, I guess a topic over at the sponsored section whould be more appropriate). In my view the open topics [non-commercial] are here to learn and help each other, as a community.