IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

35 minutes ago, lmitche said:

At startup the Roon scripts are pointed to an Optane based Roonserver software and database in a separate optane partition.

Larry what size is the partition that you allocate to the Roonserver software and db?

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

21 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Usually 12gb for boot, root and iscsi lun, 16gb for roon.

Thank you!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

I am having a problem and I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I am running AL on a i7BEH headless in ram - everything was working great, but I wanted to try lowering the power in BIOS to low power mode. So I inserted the USB stick, ran 'ramsave', then rebooted into BIOS, made the change, now when I restart, I get an error message "a bootable device has not been detected". I tried shutting down, removing the USB stick, then trying again... but no luck. I even went back into BIOS and changed back the power setting to what it was before, restarting and I get the same error message.

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Have you checked that the USB port you're using to boot from isn't disabled or has power disabled?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan, yes the USB port is enabled. It's the same port I've been using over the past month or so.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gary

7 minutes ago, seatrope said:

@gsquared I had a similar message. My usb stick had gone corrupt, and using Rufus found bad blocks. Reimage and start over?

Maybe bad blocks. I hope I don't have to start over because my Roon DB is on that and I have a lot of playlists, tags, etc that I don't want to have to recreate.

I installed a second usb stick and booted from it and ran fdisk -l and both USB sticks are visible. But my main stick will not boot. So it may very well be corrupted. I am going to see if I can access my Roon DB files and copy them over to the working usb stick. Then install an Optane stick and copy the Roon files there so I can minimize the risk of losing all of my Roon stuff going forward.

6 minutes ago, rickca said:

Why did you do a ramsave?  What changes had you made to AL?

I did a ramsave because I made some changes to my Roon library (tags, added tracks to a few playlists, etc). I only made standard changes to AL: set the date & time, modified fstab to mount my external HDD that stores my Roon music library, changed from DHCP to a static IP address.

That's all I can think of.

1 minute ago, bobfa said:

Gsquared,

Are going to boot off of the Octane stick and run from RAM?   It would be cool if you could document the steps for that so others can duplicate the process.  

Bob

I think I will continue to boot from a usb stick but have my roon db stored on the Optane stick. So it will probably boot to ram from the usb stick, then have some script that saves my roon db to the Optane stick. I'm not entirely sure it this is correct, but once I figure it out, I'll document it for sure.

8 minutes ago, Dev said:

when booted on the 2nd stick, run fsck on the main stick to see if it can fix anything.

That's a good idea! (typical response from a Linux novice like me) 😀

25 minutes ago, Dev said:

when booted on the 2nd stick, run fsck on the main stick to see if it can fix anything.

I ran fsck on the main stick and it gave me a message saying 'clean' so I tried booting from it again and I still get the same error.

Odd because one usb stick works and the other doesn't, yet they are both recognized when running fdisk -l

19 minutes ago, Dev said:

Bios boot error can occur sometimes if gpt is corrupted. Are you sure fdisk doesn't show any error ? If your 2nd disk contains the same stuff as the main stick, the easier thing to do to revive the main is to dd from the 2nd disk to the main one.

Maybe I'm running fsck wrong. The original (main) stick is /dev/sdb and there are /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2

I am running fsck /dev/sdb2

Here's a screenshot:

IMG_6995.jpeg

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Excellent advice. Just copy over everything under /var/roon and you'll have retrieved all your Roon data. Then trash the old stick and get on with life. Life's too short to nurse an ailing USB stick, trust me.

😛

Yes I agree, that is excellent advice.

Thanks @LTG2010 for the simplest solution.

48 minutes ago, Bricki said:

Sometimes I have had your issue and I have resolved it by simply going back into the BIOS and reselecting my USB stick as the primary boot device...it seems that sometimes if you go into the BIOS and make changes and then save them without your boot USB stick then the BIOS seems to automatically change your boot settings... Hopefully your USB stick isn't corrupted

I just booted into BIOS with the working usb stick and I see under Boot Order UEFI the Boot Drive shows USB: SanDisk. When I restart with the original usb stick (the one containing my Roon DB) in BIOS it does not show the USB stick. Something is amiss with it. I think the only solution is to start over, then copy over my roon files to the new stick as suggested by @LTG2010 and @austinpop

@lmitche I'm working on setting up my Optane memory to hold my Roon DB. Do I need to first 'make filesystem' on the Optane drive (ie mkfs -t ext4 /dev/nvme0n1)?

On 1/15/2019 at 11:30 AM, lmitche said:

Gsquared,

You need to setup the optane drive. I think I shared the partition sizes earlier. There are dozens of ways to do this.

Yes, any partition you don't copy from the AL image needs to be formatted.

I'm on my phone on vacation at fhe moment. Maybe someone else can provide the details in my absence as the details are at home.

Thanks,

Larry

Hope you are enjoying your vacation! I've been gone the past few days myself so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it, other than install the Optane stick into the NUC.

If anyone else can offer any help, I'd really appreciate it. By the way, I'm going to use the whole 32GB for Roon, so I will not need a separate partition for Roon and AL (unless there's some reason I will need to have it formatted that way).

Thanks!

Gary

• 3 months later...

I finally updated the latest version of AL and I am configuring the Optane stick to store my Roon DB.

Thank you Piero for the awesome work on updating and improving this and for the amazing customer support!

Newbie question: My old USB stick contains my Roon DB. While booted from the updated USB stick, I want to plug in my old USB stick and copy the Roon DB from the old one to the new one. What is the Linux command to do this?

Once I've copied the DB to the new USB stick, I will use the "Transfer Roon database to another drive" feature in AL to move it to the Optane memory.

8 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

i usually back up the db in roon, build/configure my new stick, and then restore the roon db within roon.  works perfectly.

That sounds like an easy way to do it. When you back up your db in Roon, where do store it? I’m wondering if I can store it on my music library on an external drive.

4 hours ago, jcn3 said:

i usually back up the db in roon, build/configure my new stick, and then restore the roon db within roon.  works perfectly.

Well I was able to backup my roon db on my music drive, but when I tried to restore it, it seemed like it finished the restore, but now it's giving me a screen that says "There was an issue loading your database" Don't worry. Roon staff... etc. etc.

I quit Roon and restarted and now it's at the Choose your Roon Core screen and it shows audiolinux, but it seems to be stuck at Initializing...

Has anyone had this issue before?

Choose Your Roon Core.png

Never mind... I was able to get it working after a few more attempts. 

Thanks @jcn3 for the tip!

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 7:41 AM, hifi25nl said:

Now you can select intel_psate or acpi as scaling governor. AMD Ryzen users should use acpi

Possible options:

0 "Change scaling driver to acpi or intel pstate"
     1 "PERFORMANCE Turbo on"
     2 "PERFORMANCE Turbo off"
     3 "CUSTOM FREQUENCY"

You should reboot to make the changes fully effective

@hifi25nl I'm having trouble getting the selection to acpi to stick. I have tried it several times but it keeps rebooting as intel_pstate. 

13 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

I am having the same issue. 

Is it possible we do not have the acpi driver?

When I disabled ramroot from the menu, then rebooted then changed to acpi - it worked.

Piero told me "To check that you have disabled intel pstate driver you should have intel_pstate=disable in /boot/loader/entries/audiolinux.conf" 

I confirmed on mine after I disabling ramroot, rebooting, changing to acpi, rebooting again.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if AL will boot on a Mac Mini? I tried but it looked like the thumb drive was not recognized. 

23 hours ago, Superdad said:

It sure will. :)

I run AL on a Mac mini (powered by JS-2 natch) with HQ Player Embedded and Roon Server (which in turn feeds an AL NUC/LPS1.2 NAA endpoint). Works a treat! [A 1,000 thanks to @lmitche]

Thanks Alex.

I got mine to work. For some reason, when I boot to the Mac and hold down the Option key, the AL icon is called EFI boot. But it works.

I don't have any experience with HQPlayer Embedded. Are you able to use a Roon controller with HQPlayer Embedded?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, lpost said:

I experience the same though I'm not yet running AL2 rather ALprevious, for what it's worth.  Frustrating.

I experienced the same thing. I had to move enabling Ramroot to resize AL partition in RAM to one of the last steps. 

• 4 months later...

@hifi25nl upon rebooting, when it asks to load root file system to zram if I choose 'N' it still loads to zram. It says "Loading / to zram..."

How can I prevent it from loading to ram? I would like to run some updates.

Thanks