IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

Audiolinux newbee here.

If I want to run Roonserver on my PC under AL, which version of AL should I get?  If there is a guide on how to run Roonserver under AL I am fine reading and learning on my own.

Also, given that I have only worked with Windows OS before, will AL automatically recognize my jcat network and USB cards?  Is it basically plug and play under linux?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

12 minutes ago, davide256 said:

AL comes with Roonserver, you will usually have to update Roonserver the first time it runs. USB and wired Ethernet should be recognized during initial boot, if not contact Piero

for advice. Best to get your setup as you want it before trying RAM mode. The defaults for user prompt timeouts can make boot slow (~2 minutes) when running headless

Thanks. Is there a different version for headless than not?  I usually set things up with a monitor and keyboard and then go headless once it is running. 

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I am trying to get AL going but I am hitting a wall.

I created a USB drive with the version 420 image and booted into it.  AL is running off the USB.

What I want to do is created a bootable SSD so I am not booting to the USB.  I went through the AL guide but whatever command I am typing is not working.

Can someone tell me if I am going down the right path to creat the bootable SSD with AL?

TIA.

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

If you have a drive "toaster" its straight forward, just put the SSD in the external SATA drive adaptor and use your disk flash program to flash the SSD with AL instead of a USB stick.

AL may have a menu option but I haven't been down that path

Euphony after registration includes a system transfer option so that you can move from USB stick to SSD/Optane disk without losing your settings, have used that without problems.

I did exactly that but the BIOS does not think the drive has an OS on it.

What is odd is that I can boot from the USB stick, made with Rufus, which shows up as UEFI:Sandisk in my BIOS boot menu.  However, when I follow the same procedure in Rufus to create a bootable SSD it does not show up as UEFI in my BIOS.  I set the BIOS to boot from legacy or UEFI but the fact that the partition table is GPT I think it is looking for a UEFI drive.

I am stumped.