Jump to content
IGNORED

GentooPlayer


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

Thanks for this (good) information... so, last question :
Which RT Kernel for USBridge ?

 

I've tested only your proposition (201012 Test). link above

unfortunately with RT kernels on the usb bridge there are clicks, depending on the dac....

however you can find them in the list in selectkernel, those are the last ones

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will test.
For information, with the 201012 Test, I can go up to DSD 256 (Dop via USBridge to RME ADI-2).
Previously, it worked fine with DSD 128 (GP 2.15) but not possible with 256 (dropouts).
The 201012 patches are not integrated into the RT?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

unfortunately with RT kernels on the usb bridge there are clicks, depending on the dac....

however you can find them in the list in selectkernel, those are the last ones

No clicks or scraches with kernel version 4.19.106-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-rt44 + ...
but, dropouts every 10/15 sec with DSD 128 (12 MB on Ethernet).


The future RT version with patches will be the right one 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 8:39 PM, Zauurx said:

No clicks or scraches with kernel version 4.19.106-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-rt44 + ...
but, dropouts every 10/15 sec with DSD 128 (12 MB on Ethernet).


The future RT version with patches will be the right one 😉

if you want you can test these two kernels TEST:

 

mount /boot
cd /tmp
wget https://github.com/antonellocaroli/kernel-test/releases/download/GP-Rpi3-Kernel-TEST-RT/GP-Rpi3-Kernel-TEST-RT.tar.xz


tar xf GP-Rpi3-Kernel-TEST-RT.tar.xz --xattrs --numeric-owner --no-same-owner -C /

 

you will find two more RT kernels in selectkernel

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Flippo — I’ve really been enjoying the sound I’m getting through GP (default kernel). 
 

Whilst GP believes my DAC supports DSD, MPD doesn’t (as far as I can gather — I think my DAC plays DSD natively with LMS or with a Mac over DOP). 

My DAC isn’t shown on a list that are known to be supported by MPD. 
I have tried using the non-RT kernels, without effect. 


Is there a workaround? 🤔🙏🤞

 

 

DAC: Audio GD R-27 (discrete R2R, natively supports up to DSD512)

USB: Singxer F-1 (XMOS 208) - natively supports up to DSD512

ACC697FC-554C-4E25-9C48-1DAD4D161447.jpeg

320ABF3C-29BF-4D54-8A88-F181016936F7.jpeg

Synology NAS DS216SE + TF cards -> GentooPlayer in RAM on mini fanless/supercap NUC -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub Hifiman HE560

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grazie @stefano_mbp, I should have mentioned that. I appreciate the suggestion. 
Yes, I tried both the native and DOP option, but both gave me the same sampling rate (352kHz). 
 

I am not wanting to engage upsampling, but also tried the various DSD options with SOX and SRC. 

Synology NAS DS216SE + TF cards -> GentooPlayer in RAM on mini fanless/supercap NUC -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub Hifiman HE560

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odelay said:

Grazie @stefano_mbp, I should have mentioned that. I appreciate the suggestion. 
Yes, I tried both the native and DOP option, but both gave me the same sampling rate (352kHz). 
 

I am not wanting to engage upsampling, but also tried the various DSD options with SOX and SRC. 

where do you see the sampling frequency? you should see it in systeminfo...

if you use dop clearly you will see a PCM frequency...
you should set it to native and check in systeminfo.

example, same DSD64 file:

 

mpd native

 

image.thumb.png.e64a73b84cd2b5b374d43c664a7352a7.png

 

Mpd dop

 

image.thumb.png.988b034aa4c789f89e1113a7fbcf74a6.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guy's finding the sound of GP  and my Allo bridge/Ian Canada setup a bit bright since upgrading to IanC's power supplys from an Allo Shanti psu.

What Kernel would folk recommend that has  body , neutral treble and good rythmic ability.

Hope this isn't a daft question

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ozcalgp said:

Hi guy's finding the sound of GP  and my Allo bridge/Ian Canada setup a bit bright since upgrading to IanC's power supplys from an Allo Shanti psu.

What Kernel would folk recommend that has  body , neutral treble and good rythmic ability.

Hope this isn't a daft question

try GentooPlayer-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP100

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 3:58 PM, antonellocaroli said:

where do you see the sampling frequency? you should see it in systeminfo...

if you use dop clearly you will see a PCM frequency...
you should set it to native and check in systeminfo.

example, same DSD64 file:....

Appreciate that Flippo — does that mean that the system info will display what MPD is outputting? I thought it must only show that the DAC is recognised to be able to play DSD). 
 

The screenshot above is from the system info and Rigelian. Rigelian displays all DSD tracks as having lower sampling rates (like DSD64 shown as outputting at 352kHz and I think DSD256 was at 1,408kHz). This would make sense if using DOP, but had it set to ‘native’. So I figured MPD wasn’t supporting my DAC. It sounds good, but it would be reassuring to know I wasn’t downsampling. 

Synology NAS DS216SE + TF cards -> GentooPlayer in RAM on mini fanless/supercap NUC -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub Hifiman HE560

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, odelay said:

Appreciate that Flippo — does that mean that the system info will display what MPD is outputting? I thought it must only show that the DAC is recognised to be able to play DSD). 
 

The screenshot above is from the system info and Rigelian. Rigelian displays all DSD tracks as having lower sampling rates (like DSD64 shown as outputting at 352kHz and I think DSD256 was at 1,408kHz). This would make sense if using DOP, but had it set to ‘native’. So I figured MPD wasn’t supporting my DAC. It sounds good, but it would be reassuring to know I wasn’t downsampling. 

I wouldn't trust what you see on Regelian...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I wouldn't trust what you see on Regelian...

You may well be right. The developer (Berrie) seemed confident the output frequency was accurate, suggesting the problem was that MPD didn’t support DSD for my DAC. 
 

I would be curious if anyone using Rigelian notices similar outputs on DSD files.

Synology NAS DS216SE + TF cards -> GentooPlayer in RAM on mini fanless/supercap NUC -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub Hifiman HE560

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, odelay said:

You may well be right. The developer (Berrie) seemed confident the output frequency was accurate, suggesting the problem was that MPD didn’t support DSD for my DAC. 
 

I would be curious if anyone using Rigelian notices similar outputs on DSD files.

you still haven't really told me what happens when you impose
MPD BitPerfect > DSD > native
and send in play a dsd

what does system info say?

if in AUDIO CARD you see something like DSD_.....
mpd is playing natively and Regelian gives you some information that I don't know what it means

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

you still haven't really told me what happens when you impose
MPD BitPerfect > DSD > native
and send in play a dsd

what does system info say?

if in AUDIO CARD you see something like DSD_.....
mpd is playing natively and Regelian gives you some information that I don't know what it means

Apologies — I am slow! 
 I hadn’t realised system info displayed output ... thinking it only showed what GP believed the DAC was capable of... 

 

All good: whilst playing a given track, system info accurately displays original sampling rates for 44.1 or 96kHz (that I tested), as well as displaying “DSD_U32_BE” for DSD. 

 

Case closed. My bad. 

E912707E-0144-4033-973E-DB235AEC9D54.jpeg

185B7EF5-722B-4FA6-AF03-7E49E116B0CC.jpeg

2557402B-6F02-401F-93BF-874C0879ED50.jpeg

Synology NAS DS216SE + TF cards -> GentooPlayer in RAM on mini fanless/supercap NUC -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub Hifiman HE560

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 5:11 AM, antonellocaroli said:

if you want you can test these two kernels TEST:

 

mount /boot
cd /tmp
wget https://github.com/antonellocaroli/kernel-test/releases/download/GP-Rpi3-Kernel-TEST-RT/GP-Rpi3-Kernel-TEST-RT.tar.xz


tar xf GP-Rpi3-Kernel-TEST-RT.tar.xz --xattrs --numeric-owner --no-same-owner -C /

 

you will find two more RT kernels in selectkernel

Late return .. but I crashed my nuc while trying to reconfigure the connection with the Allo.
For the 2 kernels tests, nothing postive.
For the 1st: white noise with 5 seconds of music after one minute, then white noise.
For the 2nd: crash at boot ..

I got everything back and stay on with the non-rt test kernel.


Another question: how to issue ethtool command on startup.
I would take this advice on this website.

https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/ethtool-command-with-examples/

 

# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off"

Is it the good configuration file on GentooPlayer.. ? and what is the editor (not vi) ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zauurx said:

Another question: how to issue ethtool command on startup.
I would take this advice on this website.

https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/ethtool-command-with-examples/

 

# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off"

Is it the good configuration file on GentooPlayer.. ? and what is the editor (not vi) ?

image.thumb.png.2da16fd13295d1cc1945726f7e4108ba.png

 

click info

 

editor is nano

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zauurx said:

Late return .. but I crashed my nuc while trying to reconfigure the connection with the Allo.
For the 2 kernels tests, nothing postive.
For the 1st: white noise with 5 seconds of music after one minute, then white noise.
For the 2nd: crash at boot ..

I got everything back and stay on with the non-rt test kernel.


Another question: how to issue ethtool command on startup.
I would take this advice on this website.

https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/ethtool-command-with-examples/

 

# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off"

Is it the good configuration file on GentooPlayer.. ? and what is the editor (not vi) ?

Editor should be nano for GentooPlayer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I am curious about RT priority for my USB PCI-E card (Startech PCI-E - ASM 3142 chip based). I would like to ensure it is indeed using RT priority and that the onboard USB ports are not getting RT priority. As well as ensuring I am not sharing the IRQ with other devices unnecessarily.

 

Based on the information below, the DAC is connected and appears to be using IRQ 16, so naturally I believe the PCI-E card must be using IRQ 16:

 

image.thumb.png.a8181e8649276db1880f1e035a3a40fe.png

 

I have updated RT priority config as follows:

 

image.png.b3b7ec1296dc09eaf140c25a60f6380c.png

 

Also, should I have included USB3 instead of i801_smb, given the fact that the Yggdrasil appears to be using USB3 per below?

 

image.thumb.png.d95da5c6c25d1fd2e563d4cee214e584.png

 

A bit confused,

Thanks

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand.

This command works in terminal :

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex full wol d

 

But not in /etc/conf.d/net

I tried this :

 

ethtool_change_eth0="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off wol d"

or this :

 

ethtool_change_eth0="ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off wol d"

 

like it said here : http://www.marcheimann.de/wiki/doku.php?id=linux:allgemein:ethtool

After reboot :

 

GentooPlayerRpi64 ~ # ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                             1000baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 3
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pg
        Wake-on: pg
        Current message level: 0x00000000 (0)

        Link detected: yes

 

A symlink problem at boot ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zauurx said:

I don't understand.

This command works in terminal :

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex full wol d

 

But not in /etc/conf.d/net

I tried this :

 

ethtool_change_eth0="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off wol d"

or this :

 

ethtool_change_eth0="ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off wol d"

 

like it said here : http://www.marcheimann.de/wiki/doku.php?id=linux:allgemein:ethtool

After reboot :

 

GentooPlayerRpi64 ~ # ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                             1000baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 3
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pg
        Wake-on: pg
        Current message level: 0x00000000 (0)

        Link detected: yes

 

A symlink problem at boot ??

 

Option1:

 

Disable hotspot

rc-update del gpireteonline default

 

cd /etc/init.d

ln -s net.lo net.eth0

 

edit file /etc/conf.d/net

add line

ethtool_change_eth0="speed 100 duplex full autoneg off wol d"

 

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

rc-update add net.eth0 default

 

----------------------------------------------------
option2:

create file in /etc/local.d
nano /etc/local.d/ethtool.start

 

and in it you write:

 

#!/bin/sh

ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex full wol d

 

close and save

 

chmod +x /etc/local.d/ethtool.start

 

reboot

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...