IGNORED

GentooPlayer

35 minutes ago, Gordian said:

Hello, 

I am able to send music from Chrome to any UPNP renderer

- on a windows machine, sound is ok

- on a linux machine via Pulseaudio but the sound is not HiFI, let's say Mid-FI

I thought that with GentooPlayer that would be possible to optimise something

well, there is the MpdUpnp plug in, i use that so i can send music to the Mpd music player in GP.but when i look at chrome, it only give me the option to send to a chromecast type player, even when i know Mpd-Upnp is available on the network.

Can someone please help?  I can't get GP to work anymore on my Allo USB Sig.  I have burned a fresh copy of 2.10.  It offers no update to 2.11.  I tried gp-update but now the web menu is blank.  I can SSH in but it offers a limited menu.  How do I get it to work again?  If I start with 2.10, what is the first thing I need to do to update the system?  I'd appreciate any help.

8 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

Can someone please help?  I can't get GP to work anymore on my Allo USB Sig.  I have burned a fresh copy of 2.10.  It offers no update to 2.11.  I tried gp-update but now the web menu is blank.  I can SSH in but it offers a limited menu.  How do I get it to work again?  If I start with 2.10, what is the first thing I need to do to update the system?  I'd appreciate any help.

I had already suggested,

gp-update

has and try to clear the browser cache

Hi @antonellocaroli

Could you tell us a little more about how / if Gentoo Player scales over CPU cores?

I am interested in how it scales with increased core count and how you would approach assigning the different processes / players in Gentoo Player to their own cores.

As I’m sure you’re aware the very high end servers can have dual Xeon or Epyc processors with very high core count to distribute the workload.  Interested in what you think and what an appropriate processor for Gentoo Player is in your opinion.

Thanks once again.

48 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Hi @antonellocaroli

Could you tell us a little more about how / if Gentoo Player scales over CPU cores?

I am interested in how it scales with increased core count and how you would approach assigning the different processes / players in Gentoo Player to their own cores.

As I’m sure you’re aware the very high end servers can have dual Xeon or Epyc processors with very high core count to distribute the workload.  Interested in what you think and what an appropriate processor for Gentoo Player is in your opinion.

Thanks once again.

I think that the assignment of the cores makes sense only with low workloads, so indicated on the pc that acts as "player",

I see it quite useless (and probably even harmful) on PCs with powerful processors that have to do "server-audio" work and where you may have to do upsample pushed...

3 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I had already suggested,

gp-update

has and try to clear the browser cache

I'm sorry, that doesn't work.  But I will try again, thank you.

ETA:  Okay, I had to switch to a different computer and browser and finally got the new menu.  Thank you and sorry to sound frustrated. 😉

10 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I think that the assignment of the cores makes sense only with low workloads, so indicated on the pc that acts as "player",

I see it quite useless (and probably even harmful) on PCs with powerful processors that have to do "server-audio" work and where you may have to do upsample pushed...

Thanks.  So you are suggesting that many cores are good, but the CPU/Operating system should allow processes to be distributed across the cores automatically as required?

How many CPU cores can/is Gentoo Player able to utilise?  Does it scale with the number of players enabled?

20 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Thanks.  So you are suggesting that many cores are good, but the CPU/Operating system should allow processes to be distributed across the cores automatically as required?

exactly, on sistemy where you have to do pushed resample, e.g. Hqplayer or LMS+C-3PO

How many CPU cores can/is Gentoo Player able to utilise?  

24, by setting in the kernel, but I could increase it....

Does it scale with the number of players enabled?

?  you shouldn't have to worry about that on a "server" system

can someone explain what is "Shairport-sync" and how can it be used?

thank you!!!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

13 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

can someone explain what is "Shairport-sync" and how can it be used?

thank you!!!

I use it so that I can play concerts\music thats only found on youtube, to my music server (via my iphone\youtube app).

you could airplay anything from your iphone\ipad to the music server, but for most things, there are better options like Upnp.

Airplay is a limited protocol\codec, so its best to use Upnp where that is available.