GentooPlayer

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

what do you mean?

cat /dev/null > /etc/resolv.conf

switch off Allo.
cut power to the powerline.
Turn on the powerline.
Turn on the Allo.

By adressing, I mean you cannot reach the Allo by "moode.local/" or similar. Only the IP address.

I'll have him try the fix you suggest, thank you.

12 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@antonellocaroli

.... finally everything working fine here .... but ...

using mpd/upmpdcli is there any way to define to use DoP (dsd over pcm) instead of native dsd (like “-D” in Squeezelite)?

thank you

you have to put this <dop "yes"> in 
audio_output {
dop         "yes"
}

https://thepenguin.eu/2017-12-22-mpd-and-dsd-files/

Hello. Thank you for your hard work. It's a great job and a great result. I want to ask you a question. I use two devices. The first is an audio computer as a server. The second is raspberry b3+ as an endpoint. There's a gentooplayer installed everywhere. How do I install samba/nfs server on the first device? Can I do it myself? Thank you very much.

3 hours ago, griorii said:

Hello. Thank you for your hard work. It's a great job and a great result. I want to ask you a question. I use two devices. The first is an audio computer as a server. The second is raspberry b3+ as an endpoint. There's a gentooplayer installed everywhere. How do I install samba/nfs server on the first device? Can I do it myself? Thank you very much.

on X86_64 images  samba is already installed...

just add it as a service to the startup (rc-update add samba default) and configure it.....

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Samba/Guide

On 2/16/2020 at 9:35 AM, DomieMic65 said:

This pw is for hqplayer if I’m not mistaken... the pw for ssh to GentooPlayer is “raspiroot”.

See here http://gentooplayer.com/download  

Thanks that worked perfectly! I have by the way switched off the USB bus (with "echo '1-1' | tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind") because I do not need a wired Ethernet connection and I do not replay from local drives. This brings down the power consumption of a RPi 3B+ (idle, cpufreq 1400MHz) from about 0.5A to 0.24A. I cannot say this has any obvious beneficial effects on the sound quality of my system but it certainly does not hurt.  

9 hours ago, nbpf said:

Thanks that worked perfectly! I have by the way switched off the USB bus (with "echo '1-1' | tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind") because I do not need a wired Ethernet connection and I do not replay from local drives. This brings down the power consumption of a RPi 3B+ (idle, cpufreq 1400MHz) from about 0.5A to 0.24A. I cannot say this has any obvious beneficial effects on the sound quality of my system but it certainly does not hurt.  

Do you use wi-fi? Is it better for sound quality for you? 
Many claim that it is in Pi3b+ that the use of 5 GHz wi-fi improves the quality compared to Ethernet. Ethernet is more noisy because of the USB chip. I have not yet found a confirmation for this.

6 minutes ago, griorii said:

Usi il wi-fi? È meglio per te la qualità del suono? 
Molti sostengono che è in Pi3b + che l'uso del wi-fi a 5 GHz migliora la qualità rispetto a Ethernet. Ethernet è più rumorosa a causa del chip USB. Non ho ancora trovato una conferma per questo.

it might be true if you use rpi3 and dac usb directly connected to the rpi usb...because rpi3 has the shared lan and usb bus...
but I seriously doubt that wifi is better than lan....

12 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

it might be true if you use rpi3 and dac usb directly connected to the rpi usb...because rpi3 has the shared lan and usb bus...

No, I use the gpio I2s "Pi2Design PI2AES" hat myself. Directly turning on usb dac is very noisy for me. Ethernet is better for me too.

55 minutes ago, griorii said:

Do you use wi-fi? Is it better for sound quality for you? 
Many claim that it is in Pi3b+ that the use of 5 GHz wi-fi improves the quality compared to Ethernet. Ethernet is more noisy because of the USB chip. I have not yet found a confirmation for this.

Yes, I use wireless. My renderer is a  RPi 3B+ hosting an Allo DigiOne Signature. The DigiOne Signature is connected to a Naim DAC via BNC SPDIF. The RPi 3B+ runs (under GenTooPlayer or under a minimal Raspbian Lite distribution of my own) only upmpdcli and MPD and receives data via wireless from an RPi 4. The RPi 4 is wired to the router (Fritz!Box 7490) and runs MinimServer. I have not noticed any significant difference in the sound quality between wired and wireless connection of the RPi 3B+. I am currently testing Antonello's GenTooPlayer against my own minimal Raspbian Lite system. The first impression is that GenTooPlayer sounds a bit better but I will need more extensive tests to confirm. Antonello's GenTooPlayer is anyway the first dedicated distribution that I really like. I have tried Volumio and DietPi and did not like their web interfaces.     

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

If you power off the USB bus on the RPi 3B+ (with "echo '1-1' | tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind") than you cannot use any USB DAC and, of course, you do not have wired Ethernet. The USB bus is responsible for about 50% of the power consumption of an RPi 3B+ running GenTooPlayer. If one does not need the USB bus, it make sense to switch it off, I would say.    

56 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

I tried a WiFi dongle on the Allo USB Sig and it worked but I did not feel the sound was as good as ethernet.

Do you mean the Allo USBridge Signature? In that case I would use wired Ethernet whenever possible. A Wi-Fi dongle draws current from the USB port. The whole point of using Wi-Fi (on a RPi 3B+ that hosts an Allo DigiOne Signature) is to be able to poweroff the USB bus. This would not make any sense on a USBridge Signature which is supposed to be used precisely because of its clean USB output! 

@nbpf & @antonellocaroli

Would this command 

“echo '1-1' | tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind"

would turn off USB ports in rpi4 too?

I use rpi4 only with Ethernet for LMS with my files on NAS so no need for usb.

The command for turning them back on if desired?

Thank you!!!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

1 hour ago, griorii said:

That's not my experience: I have not found any significant differences in sound quality between wired Ethernet (and therefore USB bus on and about 0.5A consumption) and wireless (and USB bus switched off and about 0.25A consumption) in my system. As I mentioned, I switch off the USB bus because I do not need it. As a side effect, the JS-2 that powers the RPi side of my DigiOne Signature also runs very cool. 

7 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

@nbpf & @antonellocaroli

Would this command 

“echo '1-1' | tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind"

would turn off USB ports in rpi4 too?

I use rpi4 only with Ethernet for LMS with my files on NAS so no need for usb.

The command for turning them back on if desired?

Thank you!!!

I do not think so, but I have not tried the command on my RPi 4. Perhap this

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/5407/how-can-i-cut-power-coming-out-of-the-pis-usb-ports can help?

Just now, nbpf said:

I do not think so, but I have not tried the command on my RPi 4.

So only for rpi3B+ yes?

I am using the DigiOne (not sig) on my 3B+ and I was considering how to turn off usb, but sometimes I use usb dac too so I would need to turn usb back on if needed ... can you please tell me the command to turn usb on?

Thank you!!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

2 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

So only for rpi3B+ yes?

I am using the DigiOne (not sig) on my 3B+ and I was considering how to turn off usb, but sometimes I use usb dac too so I would need to turn usb back on if needed ... can you please tell me the command to turn usb on?

Thank you!!

I do not know how to power on the USB bus. I power off the USB bus whenever I do not need it. if I happen to need the USB bus (for instance, to mount a USB drive or to connect via wired Ethernet), I just reboot the device.

Ok... I messed up! As a newbie I am.

I forgot that I need Ethernet ... I gave the command and now my player not working!

Unplugging and replugging power didn’t solve the issue.

Maybe I corrupted the sd card too by doing so... $c!t happens!!!

5 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

Ok... I messed up! As a newbie I am.

I forgot that I need Ethernet ... I gave the command and now my player not working!

Unplugging and replugging power didn’t solve the issue.

Maybe I corrupted the sd card too by doing so... $c!t happens!!!

It is unlikely that you have corrupted the SD card but it is of course possible. I always keep an image of the current system for these cases, I hope you do so as well. If your system is GenTooPlayer, you might even have a backup of your setup. Kudos to Antonello for the very nice work! 

19 minutes ago, nbpf said:

It is unlikely that you have corrupted the SD card but it is of course possible. I always keep an image of the current system for these cases, I hope you do so as well. If your system is GenTooPlayer, you might even have a backup of your setup. Kudos to Antonello for the very nice work! 

Unfortunately I didn’t.

I will burn it again and set it up as new. It’s only player so I suppose it will be easier.

The sd card seems ok.

3 hours ago, nbpf said:

Do you mean the Allo USBridge Signature? In that case I would use wired Ethernet whenever possible. A Wi-Fi dongle draws current from the USB port. The whole point of using Wi-Fi (on a RPi 3B+ that hosts an Allo DigiOne Signature) is to be able to poweroff the USB bus. This would not make any sense on a USBridge Signature which is supposed to be used precisely because of its clean USB output! 

Ah, I see.  Thanks.