IGNORED

GentooPlayer

21 minutes ago, rossco said:

Thanks, I managed to get in, both via the web interface and with putty.

I can start Roon bridge and it is recognised in Roon, however I cannot seem to start NAA, it doesnt seem to save the settings via the web interface, and I can't see the NAA via HQ Player on my desktop. Any tips anyone?

Update: a couple of reboots later and its working (I can see Gentoo player in HQ Player desktop), however when the music play, it has lots of pops and crackles present. Any thoughts on adjustments? Thank you.

try downloading the latest version

image.png.b54907c0be1f04bc4a8dcb53984ed3a5.png

Sorry - should have been clearer.

I'm currently using Gentooplayer with MPD/UMPCLI.  It's excellent!

The only issue I have currently is that files encoded with Apple Lossless (ALAC) so showing as m4a won't play.  I'm obviously missing something.

Thanks

Alan

12 minutes ago, the_bat said:

Sorry - should have been clearer.

I'm currently using Gentooplayer with MPD/UMPCLI.  It's excellent!

The only issue I have currently is that files encoded with Apple Lossless (ALAC) so showing as m4a won't play.  I'm obviously missing something.

Thanks

Alan

yes, I do not compile mpd (by my choice, I do not like these audio formats) with ffmpeg support...

but you can do it, the thing is simple:

emerge-webrsync (only if you never gave it, wait for him to do the repo synchronization)

USE="ffmpeg" emerge --ask media-sound/mpd

I see that Minimserver is added to the options of Gentooplayer

I wanted to ask as soon Simon rolls out Minimserver2 in other platforms apart from Melco, will it be available on G.player too?

Thank you!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

2 hours ago, tims said:

I've installed and used Ubuntu in the past but it seems to me that GentooPlayer is much harder to successfully install and use.  Do I at least need to have a moderate knowledge of Linux/Gentoo to get it working?

Thanks

No ... you should not!

I have zero knowledge of Linux and with the great support from antonellocaroli I have it up and going!

You should absolutely try it!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

I don't know, when he's available, I'll look into it.

Thank you!

I guess it will take some time... Just asking!

On 2/9/2020 at 10:18 AM, rossco said:

Thank you.

I have downloaded and booted, set-up Roon bridge and NAA.The music will play but still get lots of pops and crackles. Any thoughts? Should I try 4.19.97-210120 (e.g. non-RT) kernel or something else?

I'm pretty sure I'm still using what I said here

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55235-gentooplayer/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-1020232

To get here, I started by listening to all the different kernels, and found the ones that had the fewest pops.  Took notes to keep track of relative pops and subjective sound rating.

Then, I picked the low pop kernel that I liked the sound of best, and then went through the profiles, and was able to find a profile that had no pops.

EDIT:   Its not as hard as it sounds.  Maybe I judged sound pretty quickly, but pops were easy to judge in my setup.

1 hour ago, randytsuch said:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55235-gentooplayer/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-1020232

To get here, I started by listening to all the different kernels, and found the ones that had the fewest pops.  Took notes to keep track of relative pops and subjective sound rating.

Then, I picked the low pop kernel that I liked the sound of best, and then went through the profiles, and was able to find a profile that had no pops.

EDIT:   Its not as hard as it sounds.  Maybe I judged sound pretty quickly, but pops were easy to judge in my setup.

Thanks for replying @randytsuch. I might try again later on this week.

I think this is the method I tried before, but I wonder if I missed something, or misunderstood something. I tried each and every kernel and profile combination and all had very prominent pops, alot more than Dietpi and their latest image from Allo.

21 hours ago, randytsuch said:

Same here, different kernels with profile combinations give me different results.

No clicks or pops with below set up, I have Gustard x22 dac.

Profile: Profile4
RamSystem: Mode 2
Free memory: 355MB of total 970MB

Kernel: 4.19.97-GentooPlayer-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP100RCU+
21 hours ago, rossco said:

Thanks for replying @randytsuch. I might try again later on this week.

I think this is the method I tried before, but I wonder if I missed something, or misunderstood something. I tried each and every kernel and profile combination and all had very prominent pops, alot more than Dietpi and their latest image from Allo.

I don't use roon, I wouldn't think it would matter though.

It also seems like some dacs are worse than others for pops, but I thought mine was pretty susceptible to them

FWIW, 256 is worse than 128 for pops.  I don't run at 512.

19 hours ago, rossco said:

Thanks @randytsuch and @simplicyk.

I tried some experiments with dietpi last night and was also getting pops depending on what settings on HQ Player, I can get DSD512 to play without pops, if I change modulators. I didnt experience many pops on 256. I need some time now to experiment with Gentooplayer. I will start with @simplicyk's suggestion.

You could post a question to Jussi in the HQ Player thread at Software about this.

Seems strange to me that changing mods impacts the pops, but I never tried changing them when I had pops.

Randy

A couple of days ago (fooling around) I used the update menu to update Squeezelite and since then it plays only my local files but not Qobuz.

I don't use upsamle or c-3po with Squeezelite.

Spotify works ok.

As I see in "sqc" it has the -W parameter.. if this has anything to do.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

A couple of days ago (fooling around) I used the update menu to update Squeezelite and since then it plays only my local files but not Qobuz.

I don't use upsamle or c-3po with Squeezelite.

Spotify works ok.

As I see in "sqc" it has the -W parameter.. if this has anything to do.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thank you!

if it plays your local files (flac)...you have to check your LMS settings (and qobuz plug-in)...i don't think it's about updating squeezelite....
flac are the local files and flac are the qobuz files....

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

if it plays your local files (flac)...you have to check your LMS settings (and qobuz plug-in)...i don't think it's about updating squeezelite....
flac are the local files and flac are the qobuz files....

Thank you!

Yes Squeezelite  plays local files just fine!

I didn’t mention that Squeezelite R2 play Qobuz just fine.. so it’s not a matter of the plugin I suppose! I will check though...