Jump to content
IGNORED

GentooPlayer


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

news

image.png.717c7b741e4af010370516b31bd952ec.png

Sorry for the stupid question, but this is my first “major” update since I started using Gentooplayer! 
Do I need to flash the new version to a microSD or is there an option for an “in place” update?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see squeezelite running

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # /etc/init.d/squeezelite status
 * status: started

 

I see the card but in "closed" status I guess this is because SL is using it?

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # audio
AUDIO CARDS
CARD    TYPE                    ADDRESS                 NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    card0       USB Audio card          usb1  --> 152a:86ef     DENAFRIPS USB HiRes
card0   STATUS  --> closed

 

But if stop SL still card shows as closed

 

No other services are running

 

need to find how to access SL logs

 

This is my existing config

 

 

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/squeezelite-R2

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -o hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -b 2080:3528 -n GentooPlayer -m 00:e0:5c:68:13"

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, luisma said:

I see squeezelite running

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # /etc/init.d/squeezelite status
 * status: started

 

I see the card but in "closed" status I guess this is because SL is using it?

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # audio
AUDIO CARDS
CARD    TYPE                    ADDRESS                 NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    card0       USB Audio card          usb1  --> 152a:86ef     DENAFRIPS USB HiRes
card0   STATUS  --> closed

 

But if stop SL still card shows as closed

 

No other services are running

 

need to find how to access SL logs

 

This is my existing config

 

 

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/squeezelite-R2

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -o hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -b 2080:3528 -n GentooPlayer -m 00:e0:5c:68:13"

 

 

 

there is a web interface for configuring the player...

 

I don't know where you got this, but this is not good enough for R2.

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -o hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -b 2080:3528 -n GentooPlayer -m 00:e0:5c:68:13"

must be so:

 

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -o hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -b 2080:3528 -n GentooPlayer -m 00:e0:5c:68:13"

 

-W is an option for squeezelite, not allowed by R2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to use the new Image supporting WI-FI on my pi4 and the story went more or lesse like his...

 

1) flashed the microSD and booted

2) connected to the gentooplayer hotspot generated wifi network.

DHCP did not work and I had to setup the IP address manually,

IP 192.168.42.22

subnet 255.255.255.0

router 192.168.42.1

3) configured the wifi parameters 

with the SSID of my iPhone Personal Hotspot and its password

4) rebooted

and

I'm stuck:

- no connection to the configured wifi (iPhone personal hotspot)

- no gentooplayer hotspot

I rebooted but still no joy.

Tomorrow I will start all over again by flashing the microSD card again, but I have the impression that the gentooplayer hotspot generation process is failing for some reason,.

But unfortunately under the condition I described above I'm afraid it is not really possible to investigate further.

Any idea on what could have gone wrong?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, franz159 said:

Ho provato a usare la nuova immagine che supporta WI-FI sul mio pi4 e la storia è andata più o meno come la sua ...

 

1) ha eseguito il lampeggio della microSD e l'avvio

2) collegato alla rete wifi generato dall'hotspot di gentooplayer.

DHCP non ha funzionato e deve essere impostato manualmente IP,

IP 192.168.42.22

sottorete 255.255.255.0

router 192.168.42.1

3) configurato i parametri wifi 

con l'SSID del mio iPhone Hotspot personale e la sua password

4) riavviato

e

Sono bloccato:

- nessuna connessione al wifi selezionata (hotspot personale iPhone)

- Nessun hotspot di Gentooplayer

Ho riavviato ma ancora nessuna gioia.

Domani ricomincerò da capo eseguendo nuovamente il flashing della scheda microSD, ma ho l'impressione che il processo di generazione dell'hotspot di gentooplayer stia fallendo per qualche motivo.

Ma purtroppo nelle condizioni che ho descritto sopra il tema che non è davvero possibile indagare aggiunto.

Qualche idea su cosa sarebbe potuto andare storto?

 

2) Yes, the hotspot doesn't support DHCP, in fact, I wrote it here .

4) 

practically when configuring the wifi is "deleted the search function at network startup and if not found starts the hotspot".
So if by chance you make a mistake in the wifi configuration anyway the hotspot is not started...
This probably wasn't a good choice.
I'm going to put the network search back on...

gp-update before using wificonfig solves this...

 

 

But if you don't have internet at startup you can't use gp-update... so I'll have to change the image anyway...

but if you can connect it to a lan and do gp-update and then try the wifi configuration...at least let's see if the wifi configuration works...before I change the image...thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

2) Yes, the hotspot doesn't support DHCP, in fact, I wrote it here .

4) 

practically when configuring the wifi is "deleted the search function at network startup and if not found starts the hotspot".
So if by chance you make a mistake in the wifi configuration anyway the hotspot is not started...
This probably wasn't a good choice.
I'm going to put the network search back on...

gp-update before using wificonfig solves this...

 

 

But if you don't have internet at startup you can't use gp-update... so I'll have to change the image anyway...

but if you can connect it to a lan and do gp-update and then try the wifi configuration...at least let's see if the wifi configuration works...before I change the image...thanks

 

Will test next week-end when back at home and I will have a wired Ethernet... Sorry, but I'm away for work (that's why I was trying to use wifi...).

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://marcoc1712.it/2020/01/17/upsampling-ne-vale-la-pena/?fbclid=IwAR3Jrc_xMgdfoyXkxu6d9LUL15Vcxk8tu5WKO4Oeusu96Fd49uARW3B2S2I

 

After I came across these pages (read using google translate) I installed C-3PO plugin to LMS running on my rpi4/4gb and I am experimenting with the options!

I can upsample to PCM up to the maximum sample rate that my DAC supports but not in DSD! I get interrupted sound!

Also I can not play alac files and DSD(dsf)!

If c-3po is intalled the DSD plug in should be installed too in LMS or not?

 

The options are so many that from a point on you get lost but it's always nice to have options, and C-3PO seems a very powerfull tool!!!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Link to post
Share on other sites
but not in DSD! I get interrupted sound!

rpi4 is not powerful enough to do DSD conversion

 

Also I can not play alac files and DSD(dsf)!

c-3po in gentoo must be set to one frequency only or it will not work.

 

image.png.5edd863cea0389f4c19f6d46af1576a8.png

 

 

for the alac files I don't know... I have to investigate...what file extension do they have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:
but not in DSD! I get interrupted sound!

rpi4 is not powerful enough to do DSD conversion

 

Also I can not play alac files and DSD(dsf)!

c-3po in gentoo must be set to one frequency only or it will not work.

 

image.png.5edd863cea0389f4c19f6d46af1576a8.png

 

 

for the alac files I don't know... I have to investigate...what file extension do they have?

Strangely for pcm conversion it works with all the frequencies selected.

I will uncheck the ones not in use!

I didn’t know about the c-3po quite well before I bought rpi4, and see the C-3PO and S/lite R2 pages above ... may be I could buy another more powerful computer for DSD conversion too... 

I have a late 2009 Mac mini with 8GB ram and ssd but as I read LMS has some issues in older macOS? Will it be an option? I don’t know...

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Link to post
Share on other sites
Strangely for pcm conversion it works with all the frequencies selected.

PCM works because the Qobuz function is enabled, which makes C-3PO go automatically to the maximum frequency (practically as if you only select the maximum frequency).

 

I have a late 2009 Mac mini with 8GB ram and ssd but as I read LMS has some issues in older macOS? Will it be an option? I don’t know...

Conversion to dsd also works on mac osx.....
The problem is sox, to do pcm>dsd c-3po conversion needs sox-dsd...
This applies on all systems 

 

https://github.com/mansr/sox

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

 

for the alac files I don't know... I have to investigate...what file extension do they have?

.m4a

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to thank Antonello for his support and his work once more!!!!

The sound with C-3PO/S.liteR2 up-sampling 44.1 to 352800 is veeery good! 

Rpi4/4gb for LMS / Rpi3B+ for S.liteR2 (non RT Kernel Nr3: 4.19.97-GentooPlayer-MIN-EUP100+ , Ramsystem mode 1, Profile 3)

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying to get a RPI-4/4G running with Roonserver.  I am not able to Enable Roonserver - it stays disabled.

I can enable other programs - including RoonBridge but not Roonserver.  Any suggestions?

TIDAL - Qobuz - ROON - Euphony - HQPlayerD 4 - NUC DNKE - NAA - Pi4 4gb - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac Level 3 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - EQ’d in ROON - N400 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - DIY Open Baffle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, jkelly said:

I am trying to get a RPI-4/4G running with Roonserver.  I am not able to Enable Roonserver - it stays disabled.

I can enable other programs - including RoonBridge but not Roonserver.  Any suggestions?

you can't enable it because it's not actually installed.
RoonServer exists only for x86 architectures.
I will have to add a warning (only x86)

Link to post
Share on other sites

TY!

 

TIDAL - Qobuz - ROON - Euphony - HQPlayerD 4 - NUC DNKE - NAA - Pi4 4gb - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac Level 3 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - EQ’d in ROON - N400 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - DIY Open Baffle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I read about Squeezelite and Squeezelite R2, the Squeezelite can have the R2 capabilities with the -W parameter.

Also R2 is based in 1.8.4 version of Squeezelite while the later is in it’s 1.9.6 version. So why use R2?

@antonellocaroli excuse me if I didn’t understand something right... can you please give us some feedback? Are there any issues that might occur?
 

Thank you!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a Berkeley Alpha USB DDC.  (USB to AES).  I started playing it hooked up to a Melco and it works very well.  I tried connecting to the Allo USBridge Sig running Gentoo Player.  

 

I get no sound.  I ran through selecting USB DAC and then the Wizard.  The wizard shows it sees the Alpha.  I do not know where to start looking.  

 

A couple of notes.  The Berkeley manual says we need to have ALSA 1.0.23 or better.  I am running Kernel 4.19.89. 

 

What should I do to debug.?

 

bob

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

From what I read about Squeezelite and Squeezelite R2, the Squeezelite can have the R2 capabilities with the -W parameter.

Also R2 is based in 1.8.4 version of Squeezelite while the later is in it’s 1.9.6 version. So why use R2?

@antonellocaroli excuse me if I didn’t understand something right... can you please give us some feedback? Are there any issues that might occur?
 

Thank you!

R2 has remained the same as the initial project, the resample module has been removed and the option to accept pcm streaming has been added.

squeezelite with the option -W accepts pcm as R2, but new features are always added to the code which is often difficult to follow and understand sometimes.

Feel free to use whatever you like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bobfa said:

I just got a Berkeley Alpha USB DDC.  (USB to AES).  I started playing it hooked up to a Melco and it works very well.  I tried connecting to the Allo USBridge Sig running Gentoo Player.  

 

I get no sound.  I ran through selecting USB DAC and then the Wizard.  The wizard shows it sees the Alpha.  I do not know where to start looking.  

 

A couple of notes.  The Berkeley manual says we need to have ALSA 1.0.23 or better.  I am running Kernel 4.19.89. 

 

What should I do to debug.?

 

bob

bob,

try to use the version with the updated driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed and tested the GentooPlayer x86 version over the weekend and heard the best sound of my Digital system. I've been using the Euphony OS on my Intel NUC8 but the GentooPlayer is much better to my ears. For me, MPD native sounds the best followed by Upnp/MPD and LMS/Squeezelite.  

 

My only concern is the NUC i7 8th Gen Fanless case gets very warm thus I checked the CPU utilization and I see around 70% of Core #2 during playback. CPU-Info shows 4.1Ghz  and Governor is "Performance". The temperature shows negative vaues, around -200 degrees. 

 

On the same hardware, CPU utlization barely goes above 5% when using Euphony. Am I missing something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...