IGNORED

GentooPlayer

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Do you know what the difference is?  Does it work with Roon?  Does it sound different to you??

Easy to test!!

I think Squeezelite-R2 started out as a branch of Squeezelite and had a few features that Squeezelite didn't have.  But I think those features have since been incorporated into Squeezelite.  See https://github.com/marcoc1712/squeezelite-R2/releases.

It looks like Squeezelite is more current.  From the versions in the current GentooPlayer:

Squeezelite - Squeezelite v1.9.6-1198, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith, 2015-2019 Ralph Irving.

Squeezelite-R2 - Squeezelite Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith.  this modified version (v1.8.4 (R2)), Copyright 2015 -2017 Marco Curti.

I do think they sound a little different, but I can't say that one sounds "better" than the other.  They both sound good to me.  Maybe they sound different because one has been updated more recently, or because of the way they are compiled, etc.  

Antonellocarolli could probably add to this...

Yes exactly R2 was born for the fact that the original version did not accept PCM files, so the author (Marco Curti), created the R2 version as a fork to be combined with the C-3PO plug-in of LMS, so you can separate the resample from the player, and do it on lms via c-3po.

This patch was also included in squeezelite, currently maintained by Ralph Irving, but here they always and often add new things to the code, often things that are quite useless ...
In gentooplayer squeezelite is compiled to accept only PCM and DSD files, so it is quite light. I don't know if this brings results to listening, but I included it for that, because I had the possibility to compile it that way. Otherwise I would have left R2 alone.

for those who want to try all the kernels 4.14

the procedure is this:

----------------

cd /tmp

mount /boot

rm /boot/*GentooPlayer*

rm -r /lib/modules/*GentooPlayer*

wget https://github.com/antonellocaroli/gp-kernel/releases/download/rpi3-1.14/kernel-rpi3-14.tar.xz

tar xvf kernel-rpi3-14.tar.xz --xattrs --numeric-owner -C /

-----------

then choose the kernel in the usual ways...

soon I will add a scrpt to switch and/or update kernels...

On 1/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, antonellocaroli said:

you can't do resample co R2

you can do squeezelite no R2, but keep in mind that queezelite only accepts pcm or dsd as input formats, for my choice of compilation, so you should use C-3PO on lms, to send pcm...

a guide to squuezelite controls http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/squeezelite.1.html

is there any possibility in the future, upsampling to be possible in Squeezelite R2?

thnx 

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

18 hours ago, bobfa said:

as a test.

open up the terminal app on the Mac.

Type the following command ssh [email protected]

The Mac will ask you to save the SSH key; type YES

You can also try in safari to type http://10.0.1.18:5000  into the address bar and see if it responds.

Ho Bobfa,

Succeeded to connect to  Web Gui. Choose NAA for use with HqPlayer.  But choosing a Dac failed always.

My Dac wasn't list in the shortlist and therefore I choose USB DAC.

But immediately a message appears " Failed to load script info. Try to reload the page. Error message:Failed to connect to the server" 

Tried this several times but did not succeed to select my Dac and therefore I wasn't able to see a network connection in HQ-Player.

Please see attached pics for  further explanation.Strange isn't?  My (new)  Dac is the RME ADI 2 Fs.

PS. I would like to try Gentoo player due to fact that present DietPi and Allo UsBridge Signature leads to stuttering every 15-20 sec.

With my  DAC Pro-Ject Pre Box Ultra s2 and Teac 503 there aren't these kind of interruptions / glitches !

Might be caused that I am using with the RME  DoP ( instead as usually Native DSD 256)  which has / needs a broader/ faster bandwidth?

But doing DoP with the 2 older Dac doesn't give any issues.  Strange behaviour? It is a brand-new RME DAC with latest firmware. An itself should be superior in contact wit Pro-ject& Teac.🙄

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-08 om 11.53.55.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-08 om 11.55.25.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-08 om 12.03.39.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-08 om 12.42.44.jpg

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

53 minutes ago, ambre said:

Succeeded to connect to  Web Gui. Choose NAA for use with HqPlayer.  But choosing a Dac failed always.

My Dac wasn't list in the shortlist and therefore I choose USB DAC.

But immediately a message appears " Failed to load script info. Try to reload the page. Error message:Failed to connect to the server" 

Tried this several times but did not succeed to select my Dac and therefore I wasn't able to see a network connection in HQ-Player.

Please see attached pics for  further explanation.Strange isn't?  My (new)  Dac is the RME ADI 2 Fs.

I would try it via ssh.

Since you have a mac, open up the Terminal app. 

ssh root@ipaddress

password = raspiroot

Once you're in, issue the gp-menu command.  Then choose #3 (Choice of audio output).  Since you're connecting to your DAC with USB, choose #2 (DAC USB).  The system will reboot.

When the system reboots, ssh in again.  Issue the gp-menu command.  Choose #1 (Players/Server).  Choose #3 (networkaudiod).  Choose 1 (to start/restart networkaudiod and stop other players).  You should now be able to see the device in the HQPlayer settings.  See below.  

image.png.310a1d7bf7c4c647a7ee59fc67ff7de3.png

6 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

for those who want to try all the kernels 4.14

the procedure is this:

----------------

cd /tmp

mount /boot

rm /boot/*GentooPlayer*

rm -r /lib/modules/*GentooPlayer*

wget https://github.com/antonellocaroli/gp-kernel/releases/download/rpi3-1.14/kernel-rpi3-14.tar.xz

tar xvf kernel-rpi3-14.tar.xz --xattrs --numeric-owner -C /

-----------

then choose the kernel in the usual ways...

soon I will add a scrpt to switch and/or update kernels...

Excellent support. This is exactly what I was hoping for! I've got it working and I'll give it a good bashing tonight!

Many thanks

Chris

6 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

no, but it could be done with squeezelite. I should recompile it for resample.
You think that's useful?

Yes why not?

I should use c-3po on LMS though?

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

2 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

Yes why not?

I should use c-3po on LMS though?

if you have squeezelite c-3po resample you don't need...

anyway, you can try it yourself if you want... it's pretty simple...

gp-update

emerge-webrsync  (only if you've never done it, it takes a while to sync with the repo gentoo)

then 

USE="flac mad mpg123 resample" emerge --ask squeezelite

then add to the squeezelite configuration file (sqc command)

values for resample

ex. -u hMX

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/squeezelite.1.html

the options file should become something like this:

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u hMX -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

or

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u vLX -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

or

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u vLX:2:6 -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

etc

-u <recipe>:<flags>:<attenuation>:<precision>:<passband_end>:<stopband_start>:<phase_response>

Maybe this has been answered before but I don't recall seeing it in this thread.

Configuring the ALSA device, my DAC in this case, provides a maximum supported rate of 768000, all content played even though my DAC support 1536, plays at 768, can this be changed?

In my case I'm playing PCM does this limitations apply also to DSD?

I am running embedded x64 on intel.

19 minutes ago, luisma said:

Maybe this has been answered before but I don't recall seeing it in this thread.

Configuring the ALSA device, my DAC in this case, provides a maximum supported rate of 768000, all content played even though my DAC support 1536, plays at 768, can this be changed?

In my case I'm playing PCM does this limitations apply also to DSD?

I am running embedded x64 on intel.

I didn't quite understand your question...

Can't you get past 768?

What software are you using?

17 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

if you have squeezelite c-3po resample you don't need...

anyway, you can try it yourself if you want... it's pretty simple...

gp-update

emerge-webrsync  (only if you've never done it, it takes a while to sync with the repo gentoo)

then 

USE="flac mad mpg123 resample" emerge --ask squeezelite

then add to the squeezelite configuration file (sqc command)

values for resample

ex. -u hMX

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/squeezelite.1.html

the options file should become something like this:

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u hMX -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

or

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u vLX -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

or

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=J20,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -a 40:3::0 -u vLX:2:6 -n GentooPlayer -m 00:f0:4c:68:d1:47"

etc

-u <recipe>:<flags>:<attenuation>:<precision>:<passband_end>:<stopband_start>:<phase_response>

Thank you but I don’t think I’m such an expert user to implement my own upsampling recipies. 
I understand some things up to a point but no more!

When I was using piCore I relied on some ready stuff I found on line in Archimagos blog etc... and I implemented them inside the piCore GUI! 
If I try such a thing in Gentoo most probably I will make a mess!

Regards 

Michael!

3 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Can't you get past 768?

What software are you using?

I cannot pass 768, I am using Roon + HQplayer on a NUC running Ubuntu and the Gentooplayer is running NAA on a fanless NUC connected USB to the DAC, with other software like Audiolinux running on the fanless NUC I can send 1536 to my DAC but the Gentooplayer ALSA allows a maximum of 768

Maybe I need to select a specific driver?

I am using Gentooplayer + Katana Dac. It was interesting but when I shared Youtube video to BubbleUpnp there was noise.Does decoding MP4 file into PCM have a problem? The file MP4 on Bubbleupnp shows 96kbps 8khz.  Could you support me? Thanks

8 hours ago, xp18 said:

I am using Gentooplayer + Katana Dac. It was interesting but when I shared Youtube video to BubbleUpnp there was noise.Does decoding MP4 file into PCM have a problem? The file MP4 on Bubbleupnp shows 96kbps 8khz.  Could you support me? Thanks

yes, bubbleupnp uses ffmpeg to read various formats, and mp4 is generally an audio file found in videos.
I have compiled ffmpeg with support only for some audio files.

What software do you use to send youtube videos to bubbleupnp? do I do some tests?