Jump to content
IGNORED

GentooPlayer


Recommended Posts

Thank you Steve.  That will help I am sure.  

 

I am working between MoOde and Gentoo Player right now.    It looks like your help with setting up Gentoo Player uncovered one of the problems I am having with MoOde.  I changed Roon Advanced settings and turned off the FLAC compression switch.  That may have been the cure for the track issue disease and maybe the pop issues I was seeing.

 

bob

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

GentooPlayer has both squeezelite and squeezelite-R2.

squeezelite-R2 accepts all input formats

squeezelite, by my choice, was compiled to accept only PCM and DSD...
for this reason with roon, using squeezelite as endpoint, you have to deactivate flac compression.

I don't think it centers with clicks...that has more to do with the kernel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

Can I get the beta version for the usbridge sig?  Really would like to try this SW.

I'm using the allo version of dietpi right now.

 

Thanks

Randy

64bit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uK9AKMU_II_oHQY_sMVqCfDy07-hTxQT/view?usp=sharing

32bit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVkoQT3KlX1oSW5rH59K4zGw4bXO31qI/view?usp=sharing

 

in the 64bit there is also a hint of the web interface.

accessible from

ip:5000

or

http://gentooplayerraspi64:5000

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

64bit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uK9AKMU_II_oHQY_sMVqCfDy07-hTxQT/view?usp=sharing

32bit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVkoQT3KlX1oSW5rH59K4zGw4bXO31qI/view?usp=sharing

 

in the 64bit there is also a hint of the web interface.

accessible from

ip:5000

or

http://gentooplayerraspi64:5000

Great, thanks

Plan to try over the weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

OK, so I downloaded, then was looking for installation instructions.

Wondering if there are any instructions for setting up as a NAA for HQPlayer?

 

TIA

Randy

I can take a crack at writing up some instructions now.  

 

Are you trying the 32-bit version, or the 64-bit version?

 

I don't know if antonellocaroli (the developer) will agree with this, but my personal recommendation at this particular point in time is to try the 32-bit version first.  I say that because antonellocaroli is in the process of making improvements to the 64-bit version.  At this point in time, the 32-bit version is more functional and more polished (in my opinion).  Example - the ramdisk feature is fully implemented and works perfectly in the beta 32-bit version, but antonellocaroli is still working on doing what is necessary to get it working with the beta 64-bit version.  When he's finished with the 64-bit version, I have no doubt that it may be the way to go.

 

I will try to post instructions (for the 32-bit version) in the next 30-60 minutes or so.  So that there's room, I guess I will try this as a blog post.  I'll post the link here when finished.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, clipper said:

I can take a crack at writing up some instructions now.  

 

Are you trying the 32-bit version, or the 64-bit version?

 

I don't know if antonellocaroli (the developer) will agree with this, but my personal recommendation at this particular point in time is to try the 32-bit version first.  I say that because antonellocaroli is in the process of making improvements to the 64-bit version.  At this point in time, the 32-bit version is more functional and more polished (in my opinion).  Example - the ramdisk feature is fully implemented and works perfectly in the beta 32-bit version, but antonellocaroli is still working on doing what is necessary to get it working with the beta 64-bit version.  When he's finished with the 64-bit version, I have no doubt that it may be the way to go.

 

I will try to post instructions (for the 32-bit version) in the next 30-60 minutes or so.  So that there's room, I guess I will try this as a blog post.  I'll post the link here when finished.

Great, thanks

I downloaded both versions, so if 32-bit is better for now, I'll use that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I try to post the instructions in a blog or here in this thread, I get a message that says I need to contact the administrator.  So I'll contact Chris.

 

Maybe what I'm trying to post has too many pictures in it.  So for now I'll remove the pictures and then will add them later (to another post) if possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, askat1988 said:

Thanks, will this work on RPi4?

I don't think this version will, but there's a version from August for the RPI4.

 

Go to https://www.nexthardware.com/forum/pc-top-software/90075-gentooplayer-immagini-x86_64-raspberry-pi-3b-3b-allo-sparkyusbbridge-beaglebone-black-botic-driver.html.

 

The page is in Italian, so translate if you need to.  I use Google Chrome, which translates it for me.

 

Click on Pre-compiled images for Raspberry PI 3B / 3B + / 4B (64bit and 32bit) (in red).  Or click on Immagini precompilate per Raspberry PI 3B/3B+/4B (64bit e 32bit) (in red, in Italian).

 

Scroll down a little bit, until you see this:

image.png.f613c0eee3d777c48cdc0f8a83bc2221.png

or

image.png.1a341d7d725c2a09b3e956ad19d89ce4.png

(depending on the browser or if you translate, I think).

 

You can download the RPI4 version from there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I first came across Gentoo player on fbook.

l was a bit reluctant to install it because I don’t speak Italian but after doing I see that it’s very very good.

I have many questions but to start with:

1) I didn’t manage to resize the partitions. I can’t find what I should put to the “sda” field.

2) what is the “alsacap” command for Gentoo??

 

 

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, askat1988 said:

I'm already using that, was interested in the newer beta version, thanks.

I'm making it...

 

 

2 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

 

1) I didn’t manage to resize the partitions. I can’t find what I should put to the “sda” field.

2) what is the “alsacap” command for Gentoo??

 

 

 

1)  you're talking about rpi? on rpi is not sda bat mmcblk0

 

2) It's not unusual... but I'll do it. It's nice.
image.thumb.png.e00e9dbbc1a185420effe2d26a1be32c.png
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the instructions!

I installed it earlier today, was pretty simple except for a simple problem that was my fault.

But once I fixed that, and made a ssh connection, I had it working pretty quickly as a naa.

 

I also tried connecting a keyboard and monitor, but that was less successful because the keyboard mapping was different and the symbols were all in other places.

 

But with ssh it was no problem, so thanks for this software.

 

I was a little worried about having pops and clicks that I had with dietpi until I made some tweaks, but gentoo sounds great with no pops

 

Randy

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

I was a little worried about having pops and clicks that I had with dietpi until I made some tweaks, but gentoo sounds great with no pops

I would be interested in a comparison to what you were listening to before and Gentoo Player.

 

I have not had enough time to give it yet.  The little bit of listening I did on my headphone system made me want try more and tell others about it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

I can get it to boot and can enter the system, but when I go to the Wizard I get a set of keypad instructions but don't know how to get past that.  So far cannot get Audirvana to see the player.

 

if you do not finish the wizard (sqconfig), the player will not start...

if you finish the procedure you have to start mpd and upmpdcli...then you should see the player in audirvana....

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

I can get it to boot and can enter the system, but when I go to the Wizard I get a set of keypad instructions but don't know how to get past that.  So far cannot get Audirvana to see the player.

In the wizard configuration:

 

Page 1 - (the page says "use the arrow keys" at the top left) - hit q 

Page 2 - (AlsaMixer) - hit Esc key

Page 3 - choose the card number for your audio output device, then confirm

Page 4-  (the page says "use the arrow keys" at the top left) - hit q 

Page 5 - choose maximum sampling rate, then confirm

Page 6 - choose minimum sampling rate, then confirm

Page 7 - confirm sampling range frequency

Page 8 - In your case, type y to start mpd; type n to not start squeezelite-R2; type n to not start squeezelite

 

Then you have to go into the Players/Server menu to start upmpdcli (type gp-menu at prompt, 1-Players/Server, 7-Upmpdcli, 1-Restart).

 

If you always use Audirvana, I think you may as well go into the menus (Players/Server) for MPD and upmpdcli and set them both to start at boot (add to system boot).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...