IGNORED

GentooPlayer

6 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

64-bit images can be downloaded from here

there is no necessity to resize the root partition anymore.

At the first boot you give a pair of times gp-update... already I have fixed some errors in the webinterface... sure there will be more... :)

Thanks for your hard work with this. I've been getting great results on an USBridge Signature with RoonBridge on the 32 bit version.

I thought that I would try the new 64 bit version this morning but I'm having a problem. I did the gp-update first and then chose USB Dac as the output and RoonBridge as the player…...as I did before in the 32 bit version. The problem is that RoonCore does not discover the player. I've tried multiple restarts of RoonBridge and reboots of both the Core and USBridge but to no avail. Any ideas?

Best wishes

Chris

15 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Yeah, I found the problem....

gp-update
emerge RoonBridge

should solve

if emerge RoonBridge gives you some mistake
from 
chmod -R 755 /usr/portage

and repeat 

emerge RoonBridge

Thanks very much - that worked fine for me without needing the second part.

The rest of the stuff that I had working in 32 bit is also fine and I'm enjoying some rather good Bach!

Many thanks again

Chris 

12 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

@bobfa @randytsuch @Chris_Shorter

can you try this?
is a 4.14 kernel not RT

mount /boot
cd /tmp
wget https://github.com/antonellocaroli/gp64-kernel/releases/download/1.0/test.tar.bz2
tar xvjpf test.tar.bz2 --xattrs --numeric-owner -C /

Wait a while, the tar sometimes seems to be over, but sometimes it's not...

restart

and try to listen and see if there's any pop

@bobfa but do you have pop too?

Hi

This worked fine for me. Completely clear of clicks.

Many thanks

Chris

1 hour ago, the_bat said:

Just a couple of things a I seem to be following Bob along the same path.  I'm using the 64 bit, 4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP100RCU-rt24+ kernel version.

1. Using Roon into Squeezelite I don't get any of the skips and glitches and track skips I was getting with other players.

2. I'm playing through the Allo USBridge Signature and DigiOne Signature spdif output and don't get any of the pops that people using the USB output seem to suffer.

Oh, and the sound is very good indeed.  I'm too am very happy.

Alan

Hi Alan

I was using the same kernel but to USB out via Roon. I got irregular faint clicks that were audible only during quiet passages. I did wonder if I would have noticed if I wasn’t blessed (cursed?) by such a quiet listening environment.

Chris

On 1/3/2020 at 8:58 AM, alecm said:

gentooplayer right now one of the most problem-free build if you want to find no any clicks and pops. there are more preferable builds from sound point of view like picoreAP, yoctoap, dastereo edition, especially if you choose Aplayer as output, but a lot of clicks and pops there. 

The problem of clicks and pops of usbridgesig is certainly need to be resolved from allo side. and as I've understood it lies in the ASIX driver fixing for Linux kernel team.

It looks like Allo have done something in conjunction with DietPi.

DietPi v6.27 released on 1st January has this in the changelog"

An updated USBridgeSig Ethernet driver, as provided by allo.com, will be applied via postinst kernel script, until it has been merged into official RPi kernel: https://github.com/allocom/USBridgeSig/tree/master/ethernet

I haven't tried it yet.

It would be great if something similar would be possible with GentooPlayer so that we can enjoy system in RAM, profiles. multiple kernels etc.!

Chris

6 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

for those who want to try all the kernels 4.14

the procedure is this:

----------------

cd /tmp

mount /boot

rm /boot/*GentooPlayer*

rm -r /lib/modules/*GentooPlayer*

wget https://github.com/antonellocaroli/gp-kernel/releases/download/rpi3-1.14/kernel-rpi3-14.tar.xz

tar xvf kernel-rpi3-14.tar.xz --xattrs --numeric-owner -C /

-----------

then choose the kernel in the usual ways...

soon I will add a scrpt to switch and/or update kernels...

Excellent support. This is exactly what I was hoping for! I've got it working and I'll give it a good bashing tonight!

Many thanks

Chris

On 1/9/2020 at 1:38 PM, antonellocaroli said:

Did you test them?

Yes, I did extensive tests and so apologies for the delay in replying.

The standard kernels played fine and then I concentrated on RT kernel:

4.14.91-GentooPlayer-V14RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP100-rt49+

This was in conjunction with RoonBridge and USB Dac, which is MUTEC MC3+ USB. I'm using an Allo USB Signature. With all the other settings left at default, the RT kernel played without faults or glitches. Great sound too. Excellent!

I then introduced profile 1 and almost straight away I heard a faint click. I continued to listen and there were further rare clicks - perhaps one or two an hour and so it wasn't exactly a great problem.

Then I added system in RAM mode 3. The frequency of the faint clicks increased to maybe 3 or 4 an hour. Looking at HTOP, neither the CPU cores or RAM appeared to be under any pressure, with plenty of spare capacity.

Removing profile 1 reduced but did not eliminate the clicks - but they were very rare.

Finally, I went back to the kernel on its own….just to check my original results. Yes, I got a clean result again.

So, my conclusion is that the RT kernel is fine until I start to play with alternative profiles or RAM modes. Of course, I may just have been unlucky with the ones that I chose. The number of possible combinations is enormous! Do you have any suggestions for combinations of RT kernel, profile and RAM mode that might be more likely to work without the clicks? As I said, the frequency of the faint clicks isn't a great problem but it would be good to be free of them completely.

Great work! Many thanks!

Chris