IGNORED

GentooPlayer

1 hour ago, zackthedog said:

What are the profiles for?

Profile 1 (which in my opinion makes a lot of sense):
Isolate the cpu 1-3
move all irqs to cpu 0
then move the irqs of the usb/i2s to cpu 1.
then move Lan's irqs to cpu 2.
then move the player (squeezelite, mpd, naa, etc.) to cpu 3

and gives priority to i2s and player 90 and 75 respectively

I have not checked the other profiles yet, you can check the activated profiles behavior under /boot/etc/ (open the activated profile file via nano). Or check GitHub: https://github.com/antonellocaroli/scriptrpi-1.6/tree/master/gentooplayer/script (e.g. profile1.start).

I attached a screenshot of the "htop" command under profile 1, showing the NI (nice value, or task priority (lower is higher priority)), the isolated CPUs (CPU 1 = network/upmpdcli, CPU3 = MPD, etc.)

image.png.ea9d49ae712d850082e8c30d9c618a14.png

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

question:
could it be interesting to switch, fast enough, between different versions of alsa?

I never tested this, but do they sound different?  The kernels already make quite a difference so I guess more sound tuning options would always be welcome :) 

5 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

i don't know if i read something wrong but (some of) the kernels above have different names from those in the 191231 img

can't find them in the options

the names in the options are a little simplified, e.g.:   

4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU-rt24+     =        GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU

I uninstalled everything I did not need (only kept upmpdcli and mpd), I'm currently liking the "4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU-rt24+" kernel the most (sounds a little warmer in my system).

With RamSystem activated I still have 478MB of total 969MB Free memory. RamSystem makes a huge difference, bigger than any Kernel change.

The sound is great, thanks antonello! :D 

The only thing thats missing from my perspective would be some kind of update script for the future or fixed settings file where you can put it all your preferred options. This way you would not have to set all changes again for a new image, e.g.:

Options.file (simply store on flashed SD card)

Profile: 1

Kernel: 4.19.71-GentooPlayer-RT-MIN-NOGRAPH-RCU-rt24+

FixedIP: ...

Gateway: ...

Subnet: ....

PlayersToInstall: mpd,upmpdcli

PlayersToRemove: squeezelite,roonbridge,web,...

(maybe just install the needed players, this would avoid having to remove them).

something like this :) 

image.thumb.png.7dd9a2d86eb2816cd157c3878b84c323.png

image.thumb.png.dd5eb91b3254aa1f64263b7478063a3a.png

I have an issue with setting the CPU frequency, there is no way to limit the maximum frequency with the performance governor and the ondemand governor does not seem to change with editing the minimum frequency. 

I don't know if this is possible but ideally one could change the frequency of individual cores to keep the overall temperature a bit lower (maximum frequency for the isolated cores with the players). 

1 minute ago, antonellocaroli said:

did you try using the cpu-governor command?

yes, if I set maximum frequency to 1200MHZ it will accept it but somehow the cpu will stay at 1400MHZ anyway.

For Ondemand, if I set 1200 as a minimum, it will still stay at 600 MHz. 

Not too important at the moment, as I can keep it at 1400 MHz with Performance governor. But individual frequencies per core would be awesome, if possible ;)

1 minute ago, matthias said:

Hi @Loukiz,

excellent post:-)

What is your verdict on Audirvana via USB vs Audirvana via UPnP?

Which delivers better SQ?

Thank you

Matt

Thanks! :)

Upnp in my system, but of course this comparison involves different devices to achieve the best approach for each:

Audirvana via USB:  MacBook Pro > USB > Audio-GD DI-20 > AES > DAC

Audirvana via Upnp:  MacBook Pro > Ethernet > Metrum Ambre (Gentooplayer) > I2S > DAC

1 minute ago, matthias said:

May I  ask two additional questions?

Would like to buy a Macbook Pro, what do you think about the SQ of this device?

Did you try "Internet sharing" with your Macbook Pro via UPnP?

Thanks

Matt

Via USB the Sound quality of a MacBook is probably limited (switching power supply and not optimized for USB audio in general) but this can be improved with USB to SPDIF/AES/I2S converters such as the Gustard U16 or DI-20. The DI-20 for example provides galvanic isolation on the USB input and there are other devices that provide this as well. 

Via Ethernet you already have galvanic isolation and if using a dedicated streamer you always have a more optimized computer for converting your audio into the final format (but this is true for USB as well).

I'm using "Internet sharing" via Mac System preferences right now :)  I did not want to use Wi-Fi on the Metrum Ambre Streamer and my MacBook is right next to it.