IGNORED

GentooPlayer

On 4/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, bodiebill said:

Hoping that others spend less time on this, below the steps that worked for me to bridge eth0 and eth2.

Replace ip addresses ad lib.

Connect ethernet cables as follows (or similar depending on your topology):
    router => switch (this connection is only needed for install, can be removed afterwards)
    router => server eth2
    server eth0 => switch => endpoint
stop the hotspot service via GP web interface
modprobe bridge
emerge net-misc/bridge-utils
/bin/ifconfig eth0 up
/bin/ifconfig eth2 up
/sbin/brctl addbr br0
/sbin/brctl addif br0 eth0

(from here manually via console:)
/sbin/brctl addif br0 eth2
/bin/ifconfig br0 up
/sbin/brctl stp br0 on
nano /etc/conf.d/net

bridge_br0="eth0 eth2"
   config_br0=( "192.168.1.202/24" )
   config_eth0=( "null" )
   config_eth2=( "null" )
   brctl_br0=( "stp on" )
   depend_br0() {
      need net.eth0 net.eth2
   }
   routes_br0="default via 192.168.1.1"
   ##bridge_forward_delay_br0=0
   bridge_hello_time_br0=1000
   bridge_stp_state_br0=1
ln -sf /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth0
ln -sf /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth2
rc-update add net.eth0 default
rc-update add net.eth2 default
ln -sf /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.br0
rc-update add net.br0 default
/etc/init.d/net.br0 start
reboot

Hi all

Thanks to your description and the one of @luisma and some other information I managed to get a bridge working on my computer with 3 network ports.

As you did, I also noticed that the next day it didn't wok as intended any more.

It turned out that the numbering of eth0, eth1, eth2 related to the ports (mac addresses) is not consistent at start-up unfortunately.

By creating a file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

looking like

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="XX.XX.XX.XX.XX", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="YY.YY.YY.YY.YY", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth2"

where XX.. YY.. ZZ.. are the mac addresses it became persistent. (at least after a reboot while under power, at first start-up not always so).

So I should be happy. But:

The computer is running RoonServer on Gentooplayer.

RoonServer works, but it cannot login to Qobuz. Is says due to a network error.

Also gp-update will not work stating that there is 'no route to host'.

The music on the NAS is accessible.

At one side of the bridge is a switch to which also the router is connected, that is the modem/DNS/gateway and can be pinged from the RoonServer pc. Ping google.com also works, though often not at first attempt:

Ping results in first one or two lines with failure to connect, then it finds the Google IP address.

At the other side of the bridge is my NUC running Squeezelite-R (sounds better than RoonBridge in my set-up)

And on that gp-update works fine, even though it has to go through the bridge to get to the gateway.

I do not understand how this is possible and would really appreciate help on this!

3 minutes ago, RDOK said:

Hi all

Thanks to your description and the one of @luisma and some other information I managed to get a bridge working on my computer with 3 network ports.

As you did, I also noticed that the next day it didn't wok as intended any more.

It turned out that the numbering of eth0, eth1, eth2 related to the ports (mac addresses) is not consistent at start-up unfortunately.

By creating a file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

looking like

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="XX.XX.XX.XX.XX", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="YY.YY.YY.YY.YY", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth2"

where XX.. YY.. ZZ.. are the mac addresses it became persistent. (at least after a reboot while under power, at first start-up not always so).

So I should be happy. But:

The computer is running RoonServer on Gentooplayer.

RoonServer works, but it cannot login to Qobuz. Is says due to a network error.

Also gp-update will not work stating that there is 'no route to host'.

The music on the NAS is accessible.

At one side of the bridge is a switch to which also the router is connected, that is the modem/DNS/gateway and can be pinged from the RoonServer pc. Ping google.com also works, though often not at first attempt:

Ping results in first one or two lines with failure to connect, then it finds the Google IP address.

At the other side of the bridge is my NUC running Squeezelite-R (sounds better than RoonBridge in my set-up)

And on that gp-update works fine, even though it has to go through the bridge to get to the gateway.

I do not understand how this is possible and would really appreciate help on this!

I forgot to mention that Roon itself works fine, will find artists and other data when entering search requests. So Roon has access to its database on internet.

That is what puzzles me: Roon has access to internet but Qobuz login does somehow not.

40 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

I don't think you have access to the Internet...

ping www.google.com

Thank for answering!

Ping google.com works, Roon queries (for e.g. an artist) will give answers for which it needs to have access to internet.

Just 5 minutes ago I got it solved.

There were 2 default gateways defined somehow,

one on eth0 (part of the bridge)

and one on eth2 (not connected).

Both had the same ip address.

Apparently ping and Roon were able to find the correct path to the gateway

gp-update and Qobuz login were not.

I do not really understand but this is possible, but now it works.

I was able to remove the second entry by entering

rc-update del net.eth2

and reboot.

I am very happy with GentooPlayer by the way!

• 1 year later...

Hi @antonellocaroli,

HQplayerd in its newest version (4.28) now is able to connect directly to Qobuz:

This makes it possible to run from Qobuz directly, instead of through Roon as I do now.

First comments hint at a better sound quality compared to Roon, and I would like to try for myself.

Would it be possible to update to this version 4.28 in Gentooplayer?
I tried the update software option in GP for hqplayerd but that did not work.

Rob

12 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

Hi Rob,

Hqplayer-client is contained in the HqplayerDesktop package, but currently the gentoo ebuild installs Hqplayer desktop but doesn't install the client, the reason is that the client requires qtwebengine to be present on the system, which is quite a difficult package to compile on gentoo, I'm waiting for a new pc to arrive and I'll do some tests...I'll keep you updated...

Thanks for your quick answer.

Actually I tried using an external HQplayer client on a laptop; that finds the HQP embedded in GP easily.

But eventually I want to use the client inside GP so I can access it from an webpage on an Android tablet. Indeed that is not possible now.

Therefore I will be patient and wait for you to be ready.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

can you try terminal as root:

emerge --sync

and then post me the result of the following command:

emerge -pv hqplayer4client-bin

Hi and thanks for diving into this!

The results of

emerge -pv hqplayer4client-bin

is

setlocale: unsupported locale setting
setlocale: unsupported locale setting
 * Last emerge --sync was 39d 2h 13m 5s ago.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "hqplayer4client-bin" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- media-sound/hqplayer4client-bin-4.15.4::antonellocaroli (masked by: Signalyst license(s))
A copy of the 'Signalyst' license is located at '/var/db/repos/antonellocaroli/licenses/Signalyst'.

- media-sound/hqplayer4client-bin-4.15.3::antonellocaroli (masked by: Signalyst license(s))

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* IMPORTANT: 29 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.