IGNORED

GentooPlayer

Hi @bobfa, running GentooPlayer on my Allo bridge (1st gen), Dietpi doesn't support the 2nd gen Denafrips board, I think GP will. Question to you, it is definitely worth it getting an Allo US bridge Sig as an endpoint running GP (or Moode)?

Another question @bobfa and @zackthedog you are mentioning servers on your posts but in reality you are using this GP on endpoints, servers are still running on their previous hardware correct?

still updating my GP install, it takes forever

@antonellocaroli

Hi Antonello, I went down this route

- Burn with Etcher to SD or USB
- Gparted to expand partition
- Boot
- correct the date with #date MMDDhhmmYYYY
- gp-update
- emerge-webrsync (takes a long time)
- emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world
- emerge --depclean
- revdep-rebuild

I guess that would get all the latest updates including kernel which might be needed to be downgraded later on to avoid skips etc

I think I'm the only one with the old Allo

On 1/2/2020 at 8:08 PM, zackthedog said:

I had a *very* expensive tricked-out server I built over the course of six months.  This is better.

so my take is you don't use this server anymore but the mac mini correct? and before the expensive server was connected directly to your DAC and now you use the MAC + the endpoint (sig in this case)

Well the Sparky as an NAA works just like with DietPi which is the DAC is recognized as Denafrips HiRes but when playing the audio comes out as twice or three times the speed, so that means the driver used on the Gentoo kernel is probably the same as the DietPi one. So I guess it is a dead end for now to run on Sparky.

I'm going to try it next on x86 architecture

Thank you

Maybe this has been answered before but I don't recall seeing it in this thread.

Configuring the ALSA device, my DAC in this case, provides a maximum supported rate of 768000, all content played even though my DAC support 1536, plays at 768, can this be changed?

In my case I'm playing PCM does this limitations apply also to DSD?

I am running embedded x64 on intel.

3 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Can't you get past 768?

What software are you using?

I cannot pass 768, I am using Roon + HQplayer on a NUC running Ubuntu and the Gentooplayer is running NAA on a fanless NUC connected USB to the DAC, with other software like Audiolinux running on the fanless NUC I can send 1536 to my DAC but the Gentooplayer ALSA allows a maximum of 768

Maybe I need to select a specific driver?

Just reporting back that Gentooplayer and the Denafrips Terminator are compatible. I reported an issue early on where using 1024 PCM in HQPlayer only played 768 and 705, increasing the HQP value to 1536 allowed playing at 1536 and 1411. Seemed there was an issue but it is the source content and auto bit rate feature and 48k option sometimes in HQP (which by the way it is BRILLIANT) which was limiting the playback resolution.

So Gentooplayer, HQPe, Roon, Denafrips, excellent combo

image.thumb.png.5691e8bf873abb1cc5bdcdb32bc81dc9.png

Last but not least special thanks to @antonellocaroli for supporting me and helping me out troubleshooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Squeezelite R2 related question

1. Enable Squeezelite R2 service on the endpoint, only that service.

2. Edit the config file with nano /etc/conf.d/squeezelite-R2

3. Comment everything and just use in my case this line, the mac address is the mac of my network card where I want to accept packets destined to SL R2

4. My DAC I issue squeezelite -l and get the following:

default:CARD=Audio             - USB HiRes Audio, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
   sysdefault:CARD=Audio          - USB HiRes Audio, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
   front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0         - USB HiRes Audio, USB Audio - Front speakers

5. From all these options I configure my configuration file with only the followin"g line below

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 -r 44100-1024000 -a 40:3:24:0 -u hMX -n GentooPlayer -m 00:e0:4s:78:d1:46"

6. On a computer connected via network to the endpoint I run Roon and on the audio section should automatically find the SL R2 service correct?

but it doesn't, what am I missing?

I see squeezelite running

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # /etc/init.d/squeezelite status

I see the card but in "closed" status I guess this is because SL is using it?

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # audio
AUDIO CARDS
CARD    TYPE                    ADDRESS                 NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    card0       USB Audio card          usb1  --> 152a:86ef     DENAFRIPS USB HiRes
card0   STATUS  --> closed

But if stop SL still card shows as closed

No other services are running

need to find how to access SL logs

This is my existing config

GentooPlayer-64 ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/squeezelite-R2

SL_OPTS="-C 1 -W -o hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 -r 44100-384000 -b 2080:3528 -n GentooPlayer -m 00:e0:5c:68:13"

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bodiebill said:

HQPlayer embedded on server => GP endpoint => Denafrips DAC

HQPlayer is set to Auto, i.e. PCM is sent as PCM and DSD as DSD.

Actually, I now noticed it also happens occasionaly with a PCM-only playlist.

I do not think it is a GP problem. Rather a DAC-recognition problem.

But maybe something can be changed in the software (HQP or GP) to solve this.

I have your same config, HQPe --> GP with NAA ---> Terminator

You just received your DAC, it must come with the latest firmware, be sure to double ask Alvin about it. I had these issues you are describing with the old Amanero board, the new board doesn't have that issue but before and after the update on the new board I had (and still have) occasionally "a loud ringing noise along with music", even more sometimes you get "scratching sounds" from your tweeters / compression drivers. Switch format or sometimes turn off and back on the DAC.

Which GP endpoint you have? with a GP fanless PC I'm good, with an Allo Bridge GP endpoint I can't play on the terminator as there is no driver for it.

21 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

have you tried the first driver?

Hi Antonello, yes I did, notice I have the original Allo Bridge not the Allo Signature.

The Allo Bridge plays at twice or three times speed music with this specific dac new board and after dac driver initialization plays like that only once. Same dac but Amanero board plays just fine. I think this new board in addition to be custom also has thesycon chipset.

21 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Indeed the new board is mounted. I have the old board also, but I am in no hurry to try it out.

So weird, that loud hiss only happened switching formats on the old amanero board, I have never experienced that specific hiss with the new board, although I don't switch formats that often using mostly PCM.

you could perfectly blow a tweeter if it is the same hiss I suspect,very annoying.

Be sure to keep HQP initial volume low - 14 or so so Everytime you switch filters or resolution etc and the DAC might not handshake properly at least the volume protects you.

You using NOS or OS?