In the wizard configuration:

Page 1 - (the page says "use the arrow keys" at the top left) - hit q 

Page 2 - (AlsaMixer) - hit Esc key

Page 3 - choose the card number for your audio output device, then confirm

Page 4-  (the page says "use the arrow keys" at the top left) - hit q 

Page 5 - choose maximum sampling rate, then confirm

Page 6 - choose minimum sampling rate, then confirm

Page 7 - confirm sampling range frequency

Page 8 - In your case, type y to start mpd; type n to not start squeezelite-R2; type n to not start squeezelite

Then you have to go into the Players/Server menu to start upmpdcli (type gp-menu at prompt, 1-Players/Server, 7-Upmpdcli, 1-Restart).

If you always use Audirvana, I think you may as well go into the menus (Players/Server) for MPD and upmpdcli and set them both to start at boot (add to system boot).

Thank you.  Now I have it up and running.

3 minutes ago, clipper said:

Yes, that's probably the issue (I would think).  

In "Choice of audio output," choose 2 (DAC USB) if using the USBridge Signature's USB output and choose 5 (Allo DigiOne Signature) if you have a combo unit and want to use SPDIF.

Indeed, that seems to have been the problem, thanks.   

ETA: Playing DSD64 without a hitch now. 😉

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Hi @Loukiz,

excellent post:-)

What is your verdict on Audirvana via USB vs Audirvana via UPnP?

Which delivers better SQ?

Thank you

Matt

I recently had an audio-technician friend over to compare this same thing, using Audirvana and UPnP:

Mac Mini -> USB -> Doge DAC

vs.

Mac Mini -> Allo USB Sig -> Doge DAC

The Allo was much cleaner and more transparent.  I have the Allo connected directly to the Mac Mini via an ethernet bridge.

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks for sharing.

More important for me than cleaner and more transparent is slam, dynamics and rhythm.

Are these also improved with the Allo?

Matt

They are unaffected as far as I can tell.  I mean, with less noise and crisper transients you are able to hear more information in the recording.  Live jazz recordings convey more ambient sounds, like glasses clinking and musicians shifting around the mic, things like that.   There's also a pretty wide variety of player software that will give you slightly different sounds.  So far I like Volumio the least, it does sound a little more sluggish to me.  Moode probably has the most "vigorous" sound and Gentoo is more spacious.

ETA:  If you want ultimate speed and dynamics load your files onto the player's internal drive.  I haven't tried it with Gentoo but with Moode you get almost scary clarity.

I tried the new Gentooplayer 64-bit with the Allo USB Sig today, with USB output and Upmpdcli, using Audirvana.  It seems that by selecting MPD BitPerfect in the web gui I was able to select a variety of kernels without clicks or pops, but my ears are older and I'll have to check more carefully.  But I was able to do DSD without a problem.  I wish the web gui had a kernel change menu, or am I missing it somewhere?

18 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

Its an option on the left.  I'm at work, and don't remember exactly what it was called, but was pretty obvious I thought.  You do have to scroll down a bit to get to it.

How do you select BitPerfect?  Or maybe I just need to look for it when I get home.

FWIW, I compared my fairly highly tweaked audio PC to the usbridge sig, and the sig sounded better, not even close, IMO.  This PC sounds way better than an old macbook I have

Randy

I found it, thanks!  Staring at me. 😉  MPD BitPerfect is Player No. 4 in the left-hand gui menu.

I had a *very* expensive tricked-out server I built over the course of six months.  This is better. 😉

1 hour ago, luisma said:

Hi @bobfa, running GentooPlayer on my Allo bridge (1st gen), Dietpi doesn't support the 2nd gen Denafrips board, I think GP will. Question to you, it is definitely worth it getting an Allo US bridge Sig as an endpoint running GP (or Moode)?

Another question @bobfa and @zackthedog you are mentioning servers on your posts but in reality you are using this GP on endpoints, servers are still running on their previous hardware correct?

still updating my GP install, it takes forever

Yes, here the Allo USB Sig is an endpoint for Mac Mini running Audirvana and NAS music storage.

1 hour ago, luisma said:

so my take is you don't use this server anymore but the mac mini correct? and before the expensive server was connected directly to your DAC and now you use the MAC + the endpoint (sig in this case)

Actually the computer was an endpoint like the Allo USB Sig, just much more expensive and less effective.

10 minutes ago, ambre said:

Hi,

I have tried to install  Gentoo player on my USB Bridge Signature.

Used the program Balena Etcher for Mac OS Catalina.

Downloaded the image GentoPlayerRpi64-191231.img.xz the 64 bit version.

Everything went well. 

Tried to access as describe by means of SSH via terminal  ssh root@ip-gentooplayer .

Or with command via my browser Safari or Firefox to open web interface by means of GentooPlayerRpi64:5000

But nothing happens what do I wrong ?

Regards, Andreas

I've found these address methods don't work very well on Mac.  When using SSH, be sure to use "[email protected]" (use exact IP address) or in browser, type "XXX.XXX.X.XXX:5000" in the address bar.  See if that works.

23 minutes ago, ambre said:

Dear Bobfa,

10.0.1.18 is now the ip adress of Dietpi as showed also in Web Gui Dietpi etc.

will try Tomorrow if can recognize the Gento img too and will try your proposal.

thx

Ah, running a bridge is tricky.  I have a reserved address for my Mac Mini and when I switched to a bridge for the Allo, I had to manually enter the reserved DHCP address on the Mac.  For some reason that prompted Moode Audio to connect to the bridge connection.  Gentooplayer worked as well but there may be some trick to getting GP to recognize the bridge as a connection.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend just bought an Allo USBridge Sig and I'm helping him set it up.  We've got Moode working fine with Audirvana.  But he really only plays Tidal.  I'd like to him to try Gentooplayer.  Is there a way to set it up so that he can play Tidal from Kazoo on his iPhone?  I've forgotten how to set up bubbleupnp.  I can enable it in GP but how do I configure it?  Do I also enable MPD and Upmpdcli?  Thanks for any help.

40 minutes ago, bobfa said:

On Moode I think you need MPD and UPnP setup to use UPnP...

I have not tried Kazoo so I do not know if it works with tidal.    bubble is android only does not work on apple.   Mconnect also works on Apple.

Well, Moode is actually quite handy, I found.  You configure the UPnP renderer to log in to Tidal, open Kazoo and bang, there it is!  But I'd like to get it set up in GP if possible.