IGNORED

GentooPlayer

I’m a complete GP noob. I must be missing missing the bleeding obvious.... So apologies ...

I’m trying with the older, 2.3 version, as I don’t have a registration for 3 version. 

I used the default kernel.  

Having seemingly connected my Synology NAS via NFS, I’ve been unable to get my library to show up (MPD or LMS). 

Running the system check, I could see that the software was installed, the NAS and USB DAC was recognised, 

I have installed LMS/Squeezelite R2, MPD, UPMPDCLI. 

iPeng seemed to suggest there were artists, but no albums would show up when artists were selected. When playing digital radio, I wouldn’t get any music. nothing would show up on Soundirok. 

I was able to get the NAS library showing up with Snakeoil and Daphile. Repeated restarts and a couple reinstalls didn’t help. 

Any suggestions are appreciated 🙏

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

I want to give a big thanks to @antonellocarolifor his work setting up my system. He put a lot of time and effort into all my ineptitude. 

Now, I’m able to play in RAM mode. (To my great surprise, I cant say I heard a difference than when booting from an SSD USB stick). 

As keeping power low is critical in my system, I was relieved to be able to limit the CPU speeds. 

This simple script works for RAM mode — but you have to save it to RAM, reboot, then boot to RAM mode again... (obviously, you can set it to whatever you want.. my 8550U suggested this as a possible speed, but don’t think that matters). 

cpupower frequency-set -u 819MHz

I look forward to some kernel rolling. But must backup my system first... trying 13 on v2.3 killed it... so that’s when I but the bullet in v3. 

having some kind of trial period would make sense. Everyone has different needs. I think GP will work very well for me.. but my stupidity may mean it takes me some time to work through the kinks... 🙃

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Noob question: how can I get the cover art to show up using MPD?

I am using Soundirok currently.   

I have cover art included in most album folders, but some is embedded within the track file. I have most of my music on a (synology) NAS and the rest on the GP PC (on a separate TF card).

i tried the IP address that my NAS is mounted on ((GP IP)/mnt/samba/Music_1) and the direct IP address of the music folder. No joy. 

Sorry to complicate the post with a second question.... 

My first attempt changing kernels with GP v2.3 killed the system. Has anyone had such dire problems when trying different kernels? If not, I'd like to try some of the RT kernels (using the one RT kernel offered on Daphile certainly made a difference on my rig). 

Grazie @antonellocaroli, good to know.  

I have updated the database a lot over the past few days. No joy, as of yet...  

Leaving the setting blank doesn’t show artwork. 

I’ll try some other iOS apps 🤞

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Flippo — I’ve really been enjoying the sound I’m getting through GP (default kernel). 

Whilst GP believes my DAC supports DSD, MPD doesn’t (as far as I can gather — I think my DAC plays DSD natively with LMS or with a Mac over DOP). 

My DAC isn’t shown on a list that are known to be supported by MPD. 
I have tried using the non-RT kernels, without effect. 

Is there a workaround? 🤔🙏🤞

DAC: Audio GD R-27 (discrete R2R, natively supports up to DSD512)

USB: Singxer F-1 (XMOS 208) - natively supports up to DSD512

ACC697FC-554C-4E25-9C48-1DAD4D161447.jpeg

320ABF3C-29BF-4D54-8A88-F181016936F7.jpeg

Grazie @stefano_mbp, I should have mentioned that. I appreciate the suggestion. 
Yes, I tried both the native and DOP option, but both gave me the same sampling rate (352kHz). 

I am not wanting to engage upsampling, but also tried the various DSD options with SOX and SRC. 

On 10/29/2020 at 3:58 PM, antonellocaroli said:

where do you see the sampling frequency? you should see it in systeminfo...

if you use dop clearly you will see a PCM frequency...
you should set it to native and check in systeminfo.

example, same DSD64 file:....

Appreciate that Flippo — does that mean that the system info will display what MPD is outputting? I thought it must only show that the DAC is recognised to be able to play DSD). 

The screenshot above is from the system info and Rigelian. Rigelian displays all DSD tracks as having lower sampling rates (like DSD64 shown as outputting at 352kHz and I think DSD256 was at 1,408kHz). This would make sense if using DOP, but had it set to ‘native’. So I figured MPD wasn’t supporting my DAC. It sounds good, but it would be reassuring to know I wasn’t downsampling. 

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I wouldn't trust what you see on Regelian...

You may well be right. The developer (Berrie) seemed confident the output frequency was accurate, suggesting the problem was that MPD didn’t support DSD for my DAC. 

I would be curious if anyone using Rigelian notices similar outputs on DSD files.

55 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

you still haven't really told me what happens when you impose
MPD BitPerfect > DSD > native
and send in play a dsd

what does system info say?

if in AUDIO CARD you see something like DSD_.....
mpd is playing natively and Regelian gives you some information that I don't know what it means

Apologies — I am slow! 
 I hadn’t realised system info displayed output ... thinking it only showed what GP believed the DAC was capable of... 

All good: whilst playing a given track, system info accurately displays original sampling rates for 44.1 or 96kHz (that I tested), as well as displaying “DSD_U32_BE” for DSD. 

Case closed. My bad. 

E912707E-0144-4033-973E-DB235AEC9D54.jpeg

185B7EF5-722B-4FA6-AF03-7E49E116B0CC.jpeg

2557402B-6F02-401F-93BF-874C0879ED50.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Has anyone setup a network bridge?

Fillipo was kind enough to connect my old Synology NAS after I failed. But having had to replace it with another one, I have been unable to set it up (be that through NFS or CIFS).

I hoped I could wire the Ethernet directly to the PC (as it has two Ethernet ports). 

Setting up a bridge on a Mac (with my uRendu) was pretty straight forward, but I have had no success with GP for my NAS. Beyond the network bridge page, is there anything else I need to do? Sorry if I missed something obvious ... 

luke 

Grazie Fillipo - NAS is now connected 🙏

My bad! I had failed to use the admin login. (My user account is supposed to have full access..)

Reason for wanting to try the bridge option was partly becauseI was curious to see if cutting out the modem might have an impact on sound quality. There is a big difference in the sound I get from the local SD card compared to the NAS, so have been thinking about how I might improve it... maybe try to a local USB drive with a good power supply... or even an array of SD cards via USB...  

2 hours ago, zackthedog said:

You may know this already, but the next best thing you can do is use a network switch to connect the NAS and the PC.  This bypasses the main router and provides a pretty direct connection.  I actually prefer it to the bridging method.

Thanks Zack - good to know that your switch worked better than the bridging method. I haven’t used a switch before, but it’s certainly something I’ll consider. Cheers 🙏

Filippo, is there any possibility of enabling our own commands at boot? 🙏🤞

I need to underclock my PC to stop it overheating. So not only would enabling at boot up save me the trouble of doing it each time, it would save me considerable anxiety 🙃

6 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

how do you do it manually? with which command?

I was just using your ‘Execute Command’ tab to put in: 

cpupower frequency-set -u 1000MHz

You often add the option to enable at restarts for other features, so hoped you could do the same for commands we add. But perhaps there is a good reason why you haven’t allowed that option?

But if you could, you’d make me very happy 🙂

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

cpupower has a configuration file in 
/etc/conf.d/cpupower

nano /etc/conf.d/cpupower

change it like this

and then add cpupower at system start-up

rc-update add cpupower default

Grazie Filippo,

I hoped there to be able to do it through your web interface as I currently don’t have a monitor attached (used to have a TV there for that...). I’ll try it if I can set a screen up. 

If you can think of a way to add such a feature in the future, I’d appreciate it. I thought others might have a need to run there scripts at boot, too?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 1:40 PM, antonellocaroli said:

why a monitor? you connect via ssh from another pc...or tablet...or mobil....

I will not add it to the webinterface because it does not work with all cpu....

Thanks again Fillipo. My attempts with SSH haven’t been successful, but great to know it’s possible 🙏

Please restore ‘Execute command’ to future GP releases 

When 5.10 crashed, I reinstalled it and tried updating the OS. But this update seemed to remove the ‘Execute command’ tab. Looking around the new interface, I could not find it, or any way I could underclock my cpu. I appreciate not all PCs support it, but I would think a simple warning would be enough. There are many features on there that you warn us about - which as a dunce,  I greatly appreciate! :-)

I would love a simple interface where I could specify my preferred clock speed and enable it on reboots. But promise to try ssh again.

White noise

When switching sampling rates, MPD often loses its connection with my DAC. I am greeted with white noise. It happens after about five changes or so, but not every time sampling rates are changed between albums. Restarting my DAC fixes it. It could well be an issue with my DAC’s firmware (uses XMOS USB chip), but I didn’t have this issue with earlier Gentoo versions, so will try installing GP 5.0. 

I take it nobody has had a similar issue? 

8 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Ecute commands appears if you give.

instead of changing version, install an older kernel...

Cool to know ‘excute command’ is still included in future updates. I’m not clear how to access it, though. I have gone back to 5.10 download from the GP page (without doing the update). 

If someone could tell me where to find ‘excute command’ from the new update, I’d obliged! 

Thanks for the suggestion on switching kernel to a different version. I had switch RT kernel, but hadn’t thought of that (never used it). 

Grazie for all the support 

• 1 month later...

I cannot seem to upgrade from 6.00-29 to 6.10. 

I’ve tried a number of times — including after a reboot. I’m not running in the RAM system, not have any profiles enabled (but do have some CPU tweaks enabled). 

Since updating to 6.00, I can no longer get MPD to work when booting from RAM (perhaps, like Simplicyk’s LMS issue?). 

If that is the case, is there some commands I can add like that for MPD?

I am also having some connection issues with my iOS client (Rigelian). But not sure if that’s an issue with GP or not.  

On a brighter note, I was finally able to access ssh and configure the system to under-clock automatically after rebooting. Thank you so much for your easy instructions on that, Filippo! 

02E6D1AD-DC9B-4253-A652-866F4776E84F.png

741B12B4-A47D-4D73-A831-5927530C4A75.png

16 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

have you tried re-entering your credentials?

Thanks for the suggestion - it never occurred to me. But sadly, it failed. 

I don’t notice a difference sonically if I’m booting from RAM or not (but do notice a difference if playing music from different sources). So not too worried about it currently. 

Setting up all my preference is a little tedious, so will wait for a major update. thanks again 🙏

• 1 month later...

I’m on 6.10.35 and not able to upgrade beyond that through the normal GP update feature. 

As it takes me quite a lot of time to reset all my settings, I wanted to know if there was a difference in sound for those using MPD? I am pretty happy with it as is, but always curious what ‘better’ might sound like. 

I use GP as a one box solution with UPMPDcli and minimserver.  

Scratch that .. I tried a fresh install of 6.20 having had some issues with Minimserver on GP (all in one server/renderer).  (Minimserver often lost connection with GP, needing me to reboot GP). 

But now seem unable to navigate to my local drive where my Minimserver installer file is located. (So can’t install it.)

Also, despite setting up sambashare, I am unable to connect to the GP server via my network.  I did not have such issues with 6.20. 

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

have you mounted the disc?

please post your systeminfo...

I have, but the locally mounted TF card is not recognised on MPD clients like Rigelian. It seems like there is something wrong with the file system?

I will try a fresh install with the minimum setting changes to see if that helps. I’ll let you know how that goes. 

I posted my system info in a direct message here - thanks! 

Many apologies!

… the problem was simply the browser on my ancient iPad .. worked fine on my iPhone (and has done in my 2017 iPad Pro). (Had some trouble with Google Chrime, but worked fine in Safari)

Nothing wrong with your code. My bad. 

• 4 months later...

Has anyone had any problems mounting local drives on 6.50?

I haven’t had this issue before, but I am currently unable to mount local SD cards (either through the internal SD card reader or USB adapters). 

Drives were generally recognised, but their partitions weren’t. When formatted in exFAT or NTFS, only a vFAT partition of 5.8Mb was recognised. 

I tried a fresh install of 6.50 in case my settings messed something up, but had no joy. 

Any suggestions? 

P.S. I long over-due thanks to Filippo for making it so easy to limit CPU speeds! That’s changed my world! 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:37 AM, odelay said:

Has anyone had any problems mounting local drives on 6.50?

I

Massive thanks to @antonellocarolifor yet another deep dive assist via and AnyDesk. 

I felt utterly embarrassed when it turned out to be an own-goal on my part. Some of my drives had some strange formatting issues that prevented them booting on GentooPlayer. 

So no fault of with OS. My bad. All apologies. Carry on 🙂

When in doubt, I should always email @antonellocarolidirectly first.. no need for newbies to be out off by a whole list of tech issues that having nothing to do with the OS.