IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

55 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

We know,  it's our ears or gears that's not up to your standards.

Not the fact that you can't produce repeatable results with you eyes closed.

Last time I conducted a blind listening test with 4 USB cables, 2 people could name the cables 5 out of 5 times with random cable swapping. Even when I tried to trick them and kept the same cable in twice they knew I didn't swap it. 

12 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

I would have to listen with my own ears. If I couldn't detect any differences with listening tests, I would accept the test results. 

Maybe you should get in touch with @plissken to see if he would arrange for you to hear that or not. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

57 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Thats a great question (one I push a lot) but in fairness at least he tries and did establish a difference in a measurement  that correlated with his conclusion. Not sure about "So as usual, we can show measurements that bother the eye but not the ear" but some here will ooze blood from their eyes when they read that. The bottom line is that it is notoriously hard to come up with a scientific test protocol that stands up to peer reviewed journal standard, and in those journals the result often comes back "interesting".

I was talking to a DAC engineer one day who went on a mission to prove to some engineers on his team that an Audio Precision machine is only of limited usefulness when designing audio gear. He ran the full gamut of tests on one of his DAC's. Then he took another DAC that was identical and tested it as well. The measurements were pretty much identical. Blind listening tests were conducted between the 2 DAC's and nobody could tell them apart. Next he took one of the DAC's and swapped a bunch of parts out that he knew made a drastic audible difference, but no difference regarding measured results. He ran the full gamut of tests on this DAC again. Nothing changed at all with the measurements. Next he did another blind test, and the difference in sound between the 2 was so drastic that everyone could clearly pick which DAC was the modified one. 

After this experiment, his team members became much better engineers. The moral of the story is the best audio engineers use their ears and the measurement gear together. Both are required for true excellence. 

4 minutes ago, esldude said:

Maybe you should get in touch with @plissken to see if he would arrange for you to hear that or not. 

Music Enthusiast

Forget Plissken . He is likely to throw in a couple of repeats etc. to confuse you.

These tests are hard enough without that unless you are a professional used to performing DBTs

Do any tests using your OWN system that you are used to, under non sighted conditions with others controlling the switching.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

15 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

I was talking to a DAC engineer one day who went on a mission to prove to some engineers on his team that an Audio Precision machine is only of limited usefulness when designing audio gear. He ran the full gamut of tests on one of his DAC's. Then he took another DAC that was identical and tested it as well. The measurements were pretty much identical. Blind listening tests were conducted between the 2 DAC's and nobody could tell them apart. Next he took one of the DAC's and swapped a bunch of parts out that he knew made a drastic audible difference, but no difference regarding measured results. He ran the full gamut of tests on this DAC again. Nothing changed at all with the measurements. Next he did another blind test, and the difference in sound between the 2 was so drastic that everyone could clearly pick which DAC was the modified one. 

Yes its the old are you measuring what you think you are measuring or are you measuring the right things..

Amir's test was a bit different because he did find a measurement that appeared to be sensitive (amount unknown) to the outcome. That's a different scenario to not finding a difference in any measurements.

The 5 out of 5  in a listening test is pretty good (FWIW p= 0.031 I think) but needs more trials.

Edit I agree with SandyK. You need to have confidence in the people doing a DBT and control biases

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Ha ha , so let’s turn this around and get some sensible discourse,, ah let’s turn it into a cable thread coz that’ll do it. 

I fairly sure even now if I had to listen to my system connected via usb using a cheap looking cable vs a nice chunky expensive one it would sound better with the later. I might even feel ‘safer’ and my anxiety levels may well be reduced ( certainly 2 or 3 years ago) and that’s without having bought in to the ‘science ‘ of the manufacturer. So I know it shouldn’t make a difference but it still dose..,

But how can this be....?  .... maybe something else , something to do with visual association informing auditory perception maybe ..?  Maybe this is how tv marketing works too, maybe this is a powerful mechanism of prejudice, let’s cut out the visual and see just what happens when we separate these senses. 

Or lets not and just assume its the cable , let’s not look any further after all I trust my ears , but then do I trust them in combination with my eyes , ah sod it I know what I know god damn it. 

The cable is making a diffrence i dont care what the tests say, they don’t know what I’m hearing , they are not me . 

I think the whole has to be considered rather than the graphs and charts for one specific component. If the whole feels good then does anything else really matter?

For me there is a tipping point when the music I feel is simply marvellous. That could be with a length of wet string or a component that is so technically competent that it challenges the measuring equipment.

3 minutes ago, Taz777 said:

I think the whole has to be considered rather than the graphs and charts for one specific component. If the whole feels good then does anything else really matter?

For me there is a tipping point when the music I feel is simply marvellous. That could be with a length of wet string or a component that is so technically competent that it challenges the measuring equipment.

I just listen to music these days , I wonder about room correction now and then ( I do use something with my subwoofers but not the mains ) but other than that I don’t worry and Iv not changed anything in my main listening room for 3 or 4 years now.   I chose all my kit by evaluating it at home , not a process I ever enjoyed as all I wanted was to hear music that sounded ‘right’ to me.  

If you paid 2 grand for that bit of string and were sold it on the belief it was ‘the best thing’ despite you being happy I’d suggest maybe it would be worth looking into. 

Still id love to have my stuff measured , just to see just what’s really going on. Are those products I bought really performing to spec etc.  To me I’m part of the system and I can be faulty just like a amp to some degree. 

40 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

He certainly did prove that some DAC's are much better at rejecting noise from source gear/USB cables. But he did not prove that there was no audible differences between the cables even with the best DAC in the test. That would require some good sets of ears. Then if those ears could still detect differences, further research into why could be conducted.

This is how good scientists break new ground. If you read an Audio Precision manual you'll discover these machines have capabilities far beyond the simple testing Amir conducts. But his agenda isn't to prove that things some audiophiles can hear are actually audible. It's to prove that these audiophiles are a bunch of flakes. Running just the simple tests are all he needs to do to accomplish his agenda, and please his sycophants.

I agree that there were too many variables and unknowns and that the results were inconclusive in a strict scientific sense. I will stay clear of the motivations (albeit it speaks to bias). I will say, the results were suggestive if not conclusive IMO. I applaud anyone doing tests, its a tough gig. I always take conclusions with a grain of salt but the evidence is there for all to interpret.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

52 minutes ago, Thomas savage said:

But how can this be....?  .... maybe something else , something to do with visual association informing auditory perception maybe ..?

The usual suspect audiophile is dedicated a degree of defness.

Now I don't know what you guys saw in that link I gave you (once again, btw - it's not new at all of course), but apparently you can stifle over it for 2 days without seeing that it clearly shows differences all over. And so the problem is even worse than this thread discusses:

a. The audiophile I just quoted is now even blind;

b. The suspect objectivists are all too.

So Thomas, nothing wrong with you (expect that you are in that camp and won't come out of it :)).

Somehow, mysteriously, the differences seen are waved by referring to the superiority of some DAC's to reject the differences to some extent ?

So it is all in the clear now; you guys just don't want to see it. Today, however, that has become literal.

And so measurement doesn't even help the objectivist.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

26 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I have real problem with what you have written here. In both cases there has been no "official report" on either why the plane crashed or why the building has cracked.

We should find out soon enough after the NSW Government issues the report on the building investigations.

Nowhere have I suggested that all Engineers are incompetent, however several here seem to think that they are infallible in engineering matters.

They aren't. They are human like the rest of us, and occasionally make errors too.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

35 minutes ago, Ajax said:

. However, without inspecting the work personally I really don't know but I do know you are making provocative and inflammatory statements, which is a habit of yours and is helpful to nobody, especially while having a civil debate. So stop it.

Well perhaps they should stop making provocative and insulting comments about what I report, where they aren't even interested in seeing any proof that I have made available.

In case you haven't noticed, there have been very few civil debates recently  in the General area of the forum, and it's not usually due to the Subjective side .

32 minutes ago, sandyk said:

We should find out soon enough after the NSW Government issues the report on the building investigations.

Nowhere have I suggested that all Engineers are incompetent, however several here seem to think that they are infallible in engineering matters.

They aren't. They are human like the rest of us, and occasionally make errors too.

If an Engineer wasn't present during such a critical phase of the construction, then they should have been required  to be there by legislation if need be .

On 12/29/2018 at 10:00 PM, lasker98 said:

I don't know if I'm being intentionally trolled or some of these people are truly as ignorant as I'm taking them to be. It's like an alternate universe where less is more (2016 is newer than 2011 and being able to post that with what i took as a straight face).

Since it's too late to edit this I just wanted to correct:

should read "(2011 is newer than 2016 and...)"