IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

20 pages in and I’m still no clearer how those who describe  themselves as objectivists differ in their approach to system building from everyone else.

Any objectivist here prepared to detail their system and the regime of comparative physical and listening tests undertaken, and publish the resulting data underpinning their choice of that system rather than any other?  

Or is objectivism just about criticising  other people and their systems? 

3 hours ago, crenca said:

This is a good post.  Using the examples (more can and will be added of course) gives us a reference, a "continuum" in which to put ourselves.  As an objectivist, I admit that most of this hobby & audio is 80, 90% "subjective".  Yet, when it comes to gear and engineering I acknowledge its objective character.  

Using dicasters examples, I acknowledge the PHY layer, but to his logic I add both our natural capacity for bias and the industry "voodoo" factor.  So while it may be "logical", I find the likelihood that much, most, of the reports of "sound" (using the usual audiophile descriptors of "fatter bass", "soundstage", "PRaT") of digital cables, digital decrapifiers, etc. to be bias, marketing, and the like.  

So on the continuum, I end up being farther on the "objective" side than diecaster.

But again you describe youself as being further towards the “objective side” wholly in terms of being critical of what others claim or hear.  You have gone to the trouble of labelling yourself as an objectivist in your signature, but I see nothing yet by way of explanation or illustration as to how you apply that objectivity in a positive form to your own audio choices.  As an objectivist are you able to outline what you like and the measurements and testing that got you there?  Alternatively,  would “Junior Skeptic” be a more accurate self-description ?