vortecjr

Sonore opticalRendu

Rate this topic

Are there measurements available that could make any sense in comparing the Sonore LPS vs the reasonable priced 15W option for my opticalrendu ?

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Are there measurements available that could make any sense in comparing the Sonore LPS vs the reasonable priced 15W option for my opticalrendu ?

I do not have any access to power supplies produced by others, and neither I am interested in criticizing products produced by others in a public forum.  I just designed the Sonore Power Supply to be as good as it could be at a reasonable cost (while still being hand built to high standards and made in the USA), specifically for getting the best performance out the Rendu Series products.

What measurements do you think would be applicable?

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Buffalo PRO/ESS 9038--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E-112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC cables, Iconoclast XLR, Iconoclast speaker, cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                               Design/Build Consultant with Sonore

SONORE computer audio

The OR has been running non-stop for almost 3 days. It seems to settle in. It sounds natural and live. There are already many good reviews, but I want to mention that it does really well in timing and coherence (PRaT) 👍. Indeed, there are many high price tags don't time very well!

The SGC 7V 50W LPS is a very capable LPS. I don’t have other PS to compare, but from my experience if a LPS is not a good match, the obvious drawbacks are dynamic and timing. As I am listening, I don’t feel it makes the OR sounds like compressed MP3 in any way. Can’t wait to see how the Sonore PS performs.

18 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@vortecjr

The 15W SMG PS should produce (15/7) at least 2 amps. Why can’t I use this PS for my opticalrendu ?

(The SU1 that I use, draw low Vbus power) 

I suppose the recommendation for using a 50W PS is based on to be sure to cover all possible Vbus interfaces?

I noticed even Barrow’s Sonore LPS is limited to 1,5A, so I rather save myself some money if I choose the 15W version you’re selling. 

My other option is either Farad or Barrow’s LPS. They seems equally priced. 

The SGC 15 Watt linear power supply is not recommended for the opticalRendu. 

3 hours ago, Ken2020 said:

The OR has been running non-stop for almost 3 days. It seems to settle in. It sounds natural and live. There are already many good reviews, but I want to mention that it does really well in timing and coherence (PRaT) 👍. Indeed, there are many high price tags don't time very well!

The SGC 7V 50W LPS is a very capable LPS. I don’t have other PS to compare, but from my experience if a LPS is not a good match, the obvious drawbacks are dynamic and timing. As I am listening, I don’t feel it makes the OR sounds like compressed MP3 in any way. Can’t wait to see how the Sonore PS performs.

Thank you for the feedback...enjoy!