IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

5 hours ago, barrows said:

@sahmen:

1.  Only you can make this determination, I cannot decide for you what level of improvement might be "worthwhile".

2.  To incorporate an opticalRendu you would need the opticalRendu itself, an FMC (or Sonore optical module when available) 

two SFP modules (one for the FMC and one for the opticalRendu) and an optical cable of appropriate length.  The power  

supply for the opticalRendu would be the critical one, of you are satisfied with the performance of the LPS-1.2 then that

would be suitable.  Of these components, the FMC will need a power supply (they are generally sold with a cheap SMPS), but 

the FMC is isolated from the opticalRendu, hence I would not bother with an upgraded power supply for it.

Remember that SGC is a separate company from Sonore, and as such they may sell and recommend gear of their choosing.  The best power supply for the opticalRendu is hard to determine at this point, I have not personally tested anything yet, so I am not going to make recommendations.  As the opticalRendu is not available yet we have some time to sort this out.  Also remember that UpTone Audio is a different company from Sonore as well, I have no experience with the LPS 1.2, and as such I would not comment on its performance. 

Will the opticalRendu come with an SFP module included in the 1295.00 price tag?

deleted...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 minutes ago, barrows said:

@sahmen:

1.  Only you can make this determination, I cannot decide for you what level of improvement might be "worthwhile".

2.  To incorporate an opticalRendu you would need the opticalRendu itself, an FMC (or Sonore optical module when available) 

two SFP modules (one for the FMC and one for the opticalRendu) and an optical cable of appropriate length.  The power  

supply for the opticalRendu would be the critical one, of you are satisfied with the performance of the LPS-1.2 then that

would be suitable.  Of these components, the FMC will need a power supply (they are generally sold with a cheap SMPS), but 

the FMC is isolated from the opticalRendu, hence I would not bother with an upgraded power supply for it.

Remember that SGC is a separate company from Sonore, and as such they may sell and recommend gear of their choosing.  The best power supply for the opticalRendu is hard to determine at this point, I have not personally tested anything yet, so I am not going to make recommendations.  As the opticalRendu is not available yet we have some time to sort this out.  Also remember that UpTone Audio is a different company from Sonore as well, I have no experience with the LPS 1.2, and as such I would not comment on its performance. 

Thanks.  Terms such as FMC, SFP modules, and even Sonore optical module do not refer to any actual accessories I am familiar with, but I consider this a good start, and I'll be ready to deal with the learning curve, should i decide to get on board.

By the way, I am aware that SGC, and Uptone Audio are companies that are separate and independent from Sonore, so I am not necessarily confusing them with Sonore in making these inquiries about accessories and power supplies.  It does help though, when one has a ready set of recommended accessories for a unit with which I am not familiar, as I did when I got the LPS-1.2 for the Ultrarendu, or the LPS-1 for my first microrendu...  Besides these companies often appear to share some collaborative ventures (if I am not mistaken), so I tend to associate them together, on occasion, but without necessarily considering them to be identical...

Thanks again

11 minutes ago, sahmen said:

Thanks.  Terms such as FMC, SFP modules, and even Sonore optical module do not refer to any actual accessories I am familiar with, but I consider this a good start, and I'll be ready to deal with the learning curve, should i decide to get on board.

By the way, I am aware that SGC, and Uptone Audio are companies that are separate and independent from Sonore, so I am not necessarily confusing them with Sonore in making these inquiries about accessories and power supplies.  It does help though, when one has a ready set of recommended accessories for a unit with which I am not familiar, as I did when I got the LPS-1.2 for the Ultrarendu, or the LPS-1 for my first microrendu...  Besides these companies often appear to share some collaborative ventures (if I am not mistaken), so I tend to associate them together, on occasion, but without necessarily considering them to be identical...

Thanks again

Sure, I am glad you understand for some clarity:

FMC: fiber media converter.  this is a device with has a wired Ethernet input/output, and an optical Ethernet input/output (SFP cage).  It is used to convert Ethernet from optical to wired, and as are all ethernet accessories it is bi-directional.

SFP module:  this is the module which inserts into the SFP cage on both the opticalRendu and the FMC (or an Ethernet switch with an SFP cage).  The module provides the actual optical signal, and is chosen to match the cable in use (for example LC to LC) and the capabilities of the unit.

Sonore optical Module:  This is a forthcoming product from Sonore which is a high end FMC.

In your setup, to incorporate an opticalRendu, the easiest way would be:

Connect an FMC to your router or switch via Ethernet cable (like CAT 6A), put an SFP module in the FMC for LC (optical) cable type, run an LC/LC optical cable to the opticalRendu from the FMC.  And then run the USB cable from the opticalRendu to your DAC.

I hope that explanation makes sense.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

24 minutes ago, barrows said:

Sure, I am glad you understand for some clarity:

FMC: fiber media converter.  this is a device with has a wired Ethernet input/output, and an optical Ethernet input/output (SFP cage).  It is used to convert Ethernet from optical to wired, and as are all ethernet accessories it is bi-directional.

SFP module:  this is the module which inserts into the SFP cage on both the opticalRendu and the FMC (or an Ethernet switch with an SFP cage).  The module provides the actual optical signal, and is chosen to match the cable in use (for example LC to LC) and the capabilities of the unit.

Sonore optical Module:  This is a forthcoming product from Sonore which is a high end FMC.

In your setup, to incorporate an opticalRendu, the easiest way would be:

Connect an FMC to your router or switch via Ethernet cable (like CAT 6A), put an SFP module in the FMC for LC (optical) cable type, run an LC/LC optical cable to the opticalRendu from the FMC.  And then run the USB cable from the opticalRendu to your DAC.

I hope that explanation makes sense.

The explanation is helpful, indeed, and well noted.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, tomjtx said:

I assume the SGC optical starter kit has the appropriate SFP module resulting in a plug n play solution for newbies to fiber optics

There will be one SFP module provided with the opticalRendu and one SFP module provided with the starter kit. These will be available on both the Sonore and Small Green Computer website. Anyway, these two SFP modules are matching and work with the supplied cable and gear so no worries. 

When the opticalModule is made available it will also be supplies one SFP module with it.

The idea is make things as simple as possible, but it's very simple to use. My VP had no optical experience and he had his opticalRendu up and running with no support.

5 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Oh man, great idea but too rich for this boy (for now). Too bad as I have SFP’s, cable in place already, etc. Will stick with my mR 1.4 for now. Good thing is, in this hobby, those who wait can always find a used one when the next best thing comes out. For now that $ would make a much bigger difference on a new amp. 

No worries. Let me say this though...you can still use the opticalModule with your existing cable ethernet. Also, the plan is for the opticalModule to be good value;) 

9 hours ago, daverich4 said:

A little OT but on the bottom of the opticalRendu for sale page you spelled “coming soon” as “comming soon”. Twice. And highlighted it in red. 🤦🏼‍♂️

oops...fixed. You might have to refresh the page.  

@vortecjr

If someone already has an ultraRendu with a quality LPS, how is the opticalRendu going to be better than the ultraRendu with the EtherREGEN? In theory, the EtherREGEN will output to the ultraRendu a super clean Ethernet signal over the RJ45 and eliminate clock phase noise. The opticalRendu won't eliminate clock phase noise as that makes it over the optical connection...at least that is what Swenson said.

6 minutes ago, diecaster said:

@vortecjr

If someone already has an ultraRendu with a quality LPS, how is the opticalRendu going to be better than the ultraRendu with the EtherREGEN? In theory, the EtherREGEN will output to the ultraRendu a super clean Ethernet signal over the RJ45 and eliminate clock phase noise. The opticalRendu won't eliminate clock phase noise as that makes it over the optical connection...at least that is what Swenson said.

You know he is talking about something that is incredibly difficult to measure:) That is to say you are worried about something very inconsequential IMO. Seriously, I think you are over thinking this though. Use an opticalModule, EtherREGEN, or whatever SFP ready device you have...the decision is always up to you.

Also, understand that the ultraRendu and the opticalRendu are two different designs. I'm just not ready to discuss those differences yet.

Finally, as Barrows said above...regular wired Rendus already sound fantastic...so enjoy!

48 minutes ago, diecaster said:

@vortecjr

IMO, the best solution will be etherRegen + opticalRendu, the second best either etherRegen + ultraRendu or opticalModule + opticalRendu.

There is no way to know than to try both of the second best.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

18 minutes ago, matthias said:

IMO, the best solution will be etherRegen + opticalRendu, the second best either etherRegen + ultraRendu or opticalModule + opticalRendu.

There is no way to know than to try both of the second best.

Matt

What is your thought process there?

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

What is your thought process there?

Logical conclusion from:

opticalRendu is better than ultraRendu

etherRegen is better than opticalModule

But the proof is in listening.......

Matt

On 1/9/2019 at 3:21 PM, vortecjr said:

I won't post his review until Chris has posted his initial thoughts, but I will say that he liked it...a lot:)

Please post. 

(Or will there be a written review coming as well from Chris. Not only the video). 

8 hours ago, matthias said:

Logical conclusion from:

opticalRendu is better than ultraRendu

etherRegen is better than opticalModule

But the proof is in listening.......

Matt

The etherRegen and the opticalModule are two different things. One is a converter and the other one is a switch so it’s not appropriate to compare them this way. 

26 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The etherRegen and the opticalModule are two different things. One is a converter and the other one is a switch so it’s not appropriate to compare them this way. 

AFAIK, the etherRegen will get a SFP output so that it can be connected directly to an opticalRendu.

In this case you can compare opticalModule and etherRegen regarding SQ even when they have different functionality.

Matt

23 minutes ago, matthias said:

AFAIK, the etherRegen will get a SFP output so that it can be connected directly to an opticalRendu.

In this case you can compare opticalModule and etherRegen regarding SQ even when they have different functionality.

Matt

Here is a comparison. both Femto clocked, both linear regulated, both optical output, both will sound amazing, both priced differently:)

Very excited to try opticalRendu.

I'm currently running an Intel NUC with ROCK connected on the internet via ethernet (Roon requires internet) and using an USB-C fiber converter point to point to a FMC  connected to a NanoPI with RoonBridge and then connected to my DAC. This network topology makes the NanoPi completely isolated from my network. That's by far the best network setup I ever tried.

I hope that opticalRedu can replace my FMC + NanoPi.

My question is :  Can I run opticalRendu (in Roonbridge mode) isolated from my network ?

BTW, this is the Startech USB-C Fiber converter that i'm using with a NUC8i7BEH and it works flawlessly.

3ec7b98a-2cce-4613-b0a7-2d950e3122de_1.7f52eefaa67c20945da65d0a3c6732d1.jpg

10 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

both priced differently:)

Indeed, maybe different SQ as well, maybe not, we will see.

At least a comparison is appropriate.

BTW, you say priced differently. what is the price for the opticalModule with PS?

Thanks

Matt

14 minutes ago, fnsnyc said:

Very excited to try opticalRendu.

I'm currently running an Intel NUC with ROCK connected on the internet via ethernet (Roon requires internet) and using an USB-C fiber converter point to point to a FMC  connected to a NanoPI with RoonBridge and then connected to my DAC. This network topology makes the NanoPi completely isolated from my network. That's by far the best network setup I ever tried.

I hope that opticalRedu can replace my FMC + NanoPi.

My question is :  Can I run opticalRendu (in Roonbridge mode) isolated from my network ?

BTW, this is the Startech USB-C Fiber converter that i'm using with a NUC8i7BEH and it works flawlessly.

You have one of these connected to a Roon Server?