IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

What he said! This is it exactly including the part about 802.3x which I had forgot about:) Thanks for posting this. I’ll add it shortly to our optical dos and don’ts and to our FAQ here on AS. 

A technical  specification  with four lines  Data  Rate  / Standards  / Connectors and Power should be more explicit. Rgds 

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

What he said! This is it exactly including the part about 802.3x which I had forgot about:) Thanks for posting this. I’ll add it shortly to our optical dos and don’ts and to our FAQ here on AS. 

Yes thank you @Miska  - FWIW on the tplink managed switch it is a setting in the port config to enable/disable flow

My rig

Not sure I have understood all the technical specificities of this new rendu... I understand that the Opticalrendu is the new renderer...

However, is the Opticalmodule a different and separate box?

Where might an etherregen fit in all of this boxes?

Why is the etherregen's functionality not already covered in the Opticalrendu?

On 1/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, Miska said:

If you are not familiar with intricate details of network configuration, it is better to stick with unmanaged switches that state support for 802.3x (flow-control).

Here is an unmanaged switch that I have been using for some time in my system that supports 802.3x.

Diablo Cable - Dual SFP Slot Media Converter with Dual 1000M Ethernet Ports

2 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Here is an unmanaged switch that I have been using for some time in my system that supports 802.3x.

Diablo Cable - Dual SFP Slot Media Converter with Dual 1000M Ethernet Ports

I'm using these as unmanaged switches:

https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/gs1100_series.shtml

(just don't get the smallest one that has high heat production and wallwart PSU)

And HPE 1420 series unmanaged switches:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/networking/networking-switches/pip.overview.networking-switches.7091214.html

Both are very reasonably priced. In addition to per-room unmanaged switches, I have four managed switches around the house to deal with things like VLANs (802.1Q).

Both support the features I require:

802.1p

802.3az

802.3x

802.3az associated with cable length detection makes sure the switch is not putting unnecessary amount of transmit power on a copper cable. Preferably the network interface at the other end should support 802.3az too to get the low power link states activated too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, sahmen said:

Not sure I have understood all the technical specificities of this new rendu... I understand that the Opticalrendu is the new renderer...

However, is the Opticalmodule a different and separate box?

Where might an etherregen fit in all of this boxes?

Why is the etherregen's functionality not already covered in the Opticalrendu?

1.  The opticalRendu is an Ethernet Renderer with an optical Ethernet input instead of a wired Ethernet input.  It also features further improvements over the ultra and micro Rendus.

2.  The optical module is a high end quality Sonore made FMC (fiber media converter) for converting wire based Ethernet to optical Ethernet.

3.  The etherRegen is a product made by UpTone Audio, not Sonore, and has no relationship with the Sonore products (but some people might choose to use them together).  Discussions about the etherRegen belong in the UpTone Audio forum threads.  The EtherRegen is a Network Switch, not a Renderer-it is unrelated to the opticalRendu.

Please let us know if you have other questions regarding the opticalRendu.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

21 hours ago, vortecjr said:

This morning I decided to wake up the family with some Lynyrd Skynyard:) 

System 1: 

optical cable from TRENDnet switch->opticalRendu->M2Tech HiFace DAC->integrated amp->speakers. The opticalRendu is powered by an iFi iPower supply. 

1962775197_ScreenShot2019-01-08at7_42_54AM.thumb.png.15f918ea7b2ec125314184becd1f7591.png

How does it sound:

Wonderful!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

System 2: 

Ethernet cable into TRENDnet converter optical cable out->opticalRendu->M2Tech HiFace DAC->integrated amp->speakers. The TRENDnet converter and opticalRendu are each powered by separate iFi iPower supply. No issue with moving the TRENDnet converter away from the audio room...just get a longer optical cable.  

205278534_ScreenShot2019-01-08at7_43_17AM.thumb.png.ec8cefab109759001af1990834a62e7e.png

How does it sound:

Wonderful!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

You don't need a complicated system to enjoy great sounding southern rock / blues rock.

Nice set-up and no USB cable discussions.......

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Yesterday I gave my preproduction opticalRendu to my VP Adrian. He has a very nice system and loves audio. He is also my biggest critic when he does not like what he hears. Anyway, this morning I received his feedback. I won't post his review until Chris has posted his initial thoughts, but I will say that he liked it...a lot:)

41 minutes ago, matthias said:

Would be interesting if OR with a standard PS can outperform UR with a great PS?

Matt

Seems like anyone would want to go with the best power supply possible?  Why would one want to compromise, the better the Renderer, the bigger difference a really good power supply makes.  This is the same with most things in audio: increase resolution, and small differences get bigger...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

13 hours ago, barrows said:

Seems like anyone would want to go with the best power supply possible?  Why would one want to compromise, the better the Renderer, the bigger difference a really good power supply makes.  This is the same with most things in audio: increase resolution, and small differences get bigger...

Uh, price and diminishing returns. How much better is a $2000 supply than the “low noise” one sold by SMG for under $200? A lot? A little? 10% 50% 200%?

If it is a relatively small amount, why do I want to pay 2X or 10X as much for something that may make a very small improvement in my end result. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The video is up!

so the anticipated price is just shy of $1300?

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

10 minutes ago, Jiffi32 said:

Extra's? what might they be?

You will need SFP module, fiber cable and other equipment (router, switch or fiberconverter) with fiber connection to supply it.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Ah i see,

I'm set then, already got all of that from FS.com EU warehouse a little while ago, cost was under£30

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Uh, price and diminishing returns. How much better is a $2000 supply than the “low noise” one sold by SMG for under $200? A lot? A little? 10% 50% 200%?

If it is a relatively small amount, why do I want to pay 2X or 10X as much for something that may make a very small improvement in my end result. 

At that point I would not bother with an opticalRendu then...  Realistically, the regular wired Rendus already sound fantastic...

Of course diminishing returns is always a factor at this level, but we are talking about sources which blow the doors off even the very best disc spinners here.  I view the power supply, for any component, as the foundation of that component's performance.  I would not put a Kia engine in a McLaren, nor would I use an average power supply for an opticalRandu.  At this level of performance I am talking about system prices at $25K and up, I do not think a few extra dollars for a really good power supply is inadvisable.  OTOH, if one has a $1500.00 Chinese DAC, perhaps spending money on an opticalRendu is not the top priority for the system...

In top level components the power supply is often the most expensive part of the component, as the actual parts often cost the most (large amounts of quality capacitance, and good transformers are physical parts which by their nature cost quite a bit in terms of electronic parts), understanding that, one can see why a really good power supply costs some money; and this is half of why the Signature Series Rendus with no compromise built in power supplies are quite a bit more money than the external power supply versions (the other half is the expense of the customer made in USA chassis).  

SONORE computer audio

5 minutes ago, barrows said:

At that point I would not bother with an opticalRendu then...  Realistically, the regular wired Rendus already sound fantastic...

Of course diminishing returns is always a factor at this level, but we are talking about sources which blow the doors off even the very best disc spinners here.  I view the power supply, for any component, as the foundation of that component's performance.  I would not put a Kia engine in a McLaren, nor would I use an average power supply for an opticalRandu.  At this level of performance I am talking about system prices at $25K and up, I do not think a few extra dollars for a really good power supply is inadvisable.  OTOH, if one has a $1500.00 Chinese DAC, perhaps spending money on an opticalRendu is not the top priority for the system... 

In that case, I have a few questions... Currently I have a regular Ultrarendu/Roon Rig installed in the following chain :

Synology Nas ==>>(Cat. 6 ethernet)==>> Urendu/Roon(Powered by LPS-1.2) ==>>(Phasure Lush USB cable)==>> Yggdrasil Analog 2 etc. etc all deployed in a 2-channel system that is approximately $15K (counting speakers, Monoblock amps, and pre pro)

1. Will it be worthwhile replacing the Ultrarendu in this system with an OpticalRendu (Worthwhile, in terms of the degree of SQ upgrade one might anticipate, with all considerations of diminishing returns factored in)?

2. If so, then exactly what additional accessories (including cables,  switches, converters, and power supplies, assuming the LPS-1.2 wouldn't cut it) am I going to need to make it work optimally, without overbleeding my wallet (refer to accessories other than those I am already using with the Ultrarendu)?

I am raising question number 2 because I confess a lack of familiarity with the technical terms being used to describe the OR's accessories, which already leads me to other questions...

a. Does the SystemOptique recommended by the SGC also require its own power supply unit?...

B. Talking about power supplies, the SGC page recommends the 7v LPS for the OpticalRendu.  Jesus also speaks of using the ifi ipower supply to power the OR.  How adequate are we to consider such options (along with say the LPS-1.2), in the light of what you're saying about what you seem to consider the ideal power supply units for optimizing the OpticalRendu?

@sahmen:

1.  Only you can make this determination, I cannot decide for you what level of improvement might be "worthwhile".

2.  To incorporate an opticalRendu you would need the opticalRendu itself, an FMC (or Sonore optical module when available) 

two SFP modules (one for the FMC and one for the opticalRendu) and an optical cable of appropriate length.  The power  

supply for the opticalRendu would be the critical one, of you are satisfied with the performance of the LPS-1.2 then that

would be suitable.  Of these components, the FMC will need a power supply (they are generally sold with a cheap SMPS), but 

the FMC is isolated from the opticalRendu, hence I would not bother with an upgraded power supply for it.

Remember that SGC is a separate company from Sonore, and as such they may sell and recommend gear of their choosing.  The best power supply for the opticalRendu is hard to determine at this point, I have not personally tested anything yet, so I am not going to make recommendations.  As the opticalRendu is not available yet we have some time to sort this out.  Also remember that UpTone Audio is a different company from Sonore as well, I have no experience with the LPS 1.2, and as such I would not comment on its performance. 

SONORE computer audio

Oh man, great idea but too rich for this boy (for now). Too bad as I have SFP’s, cable in place already, etc. Will stick with my mR 1.4 for now. Good thing is, in this hobby, those who wait can always find a used one when the next best thing comes out. For now that $ would make a much bigger difference on a new amp. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.