IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

OK makes sense.

The Cisco SFP (GLC-SX-MM ) in my Trendnet would go into the opticalRendu which would work - being the same SFP is in my switch.

Using my optical config explained above as a "template" of sorts and I'm sure others are using similar, what changes would you or John recommend or see as a weak point if any?

I would hover in place for now. 

32 minutes ago, tomjtx said:

Sounds like a good upgrade from the UltraRendu to feed my Kii 3 speakers

Love the idea of this combo!  The Rendu and Kii seem like a great match.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

21 minutes ago, barrows said:

Love the idea of this combo!  The Rendu and Kii seem like a great match.

The ultra already sounds great with the Kii´s but I like the idea of the galvanic isolation of the optical Rendu.

The Kii´s solved my room problems and are a significant step up from my Watt/Puppies (now in my home theatre)

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Swapping SFP modules could be the new tube rolling 

@Em2016 and @Superdad you only have to search on CA (I mean AS 😊) to find that there have already been tests in Asia I think with Lumin X1 and different SFP and fibercables so the new tuberollin is already here 😁

With SFP modules and cables coming in MM (multimode) and SM (singlemode) and different wavelengths (850, 1310, 1550nm for example) there is alot to test 😉

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Theoretically, and actually in most cases, the VSEL electronics are better but does it make a difference?

Is that comparing MM to SM modules?

I have a couple of SFP 1310nm modules and Corning Clear cable (SMF) waiting for the new etherREGEN 😊

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I assume @diecaster your question is a follow up to me writning that I wait for the etherREGEN. You dont need a etherREGEN if you have a opticalRendu I have a different layout of my system and needs a switch that connects to my Roon core and Roon endpoint.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
1 hour ago, octaviars said:

I assume @diecaster your question is a follow up to me writning that I wait for the etherREGEN. You dont need a etherREGEN if you have a opticalRendu I have a different layout of my system and needs a switch that connects to my Roon core and Roon endpoint.

This is not necessarily true. Phase noise from upstream clocks DOES pass through optical cables as well as copper cables. The prime reason for the EtherRegen is that it blocks this upstream phase noise. So it may still provide some improvement with an opticalRendu. You may hear the difference, you may not depending your system. 

So I would not say there is guaranteed to be no advantage of the EtherREGEN if you have an opticalRendu. It's going to have to be a try it and see.

John S.

5 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

This is not necessarily true. Phase noise from upstream clocks DOES pass through optical cables as well as copper cables. The prime reason for the EtherRegen is that it blocks this upstream phase noise. So it may still provide some improvement with an opticalRendu.

So this means the opticalRendu won't feature your 'Clock Blocking' feature?

24 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

This is not necessarily true.

Perhaps I should have written that it works with other fiber equipment and not that a etherREGEN is not needed. 

I think we will see many combinations in the future with both Sonore and Uptone products.

Main system

Second system
5 hours ago, octaviars said:

@Em2016 and @Superdad you only have to search on CA (I mean AS 😊) to find that there have already been tests in Asia I think with Lumin X1 and different SFP and fibercables so the new tuberollin is already here 😁

With SFP modules and cables coming in MM (multimode) and SM (singlemode) and different wavelengths (850, 1310, 1550nm for example) there is alot to test 😉

Is that comparing MM to SM modules?

I have a couple of SFP 1310nm modules and Corning Clear cable (SMF) waiting for the new etherREGEN 😊

Maybe they need John's special circuit:) 

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

So this means the opticalRendu won't feature your 'Clock Blocking' feature?

I'm starting to like that the other thread a lot...where they don't seem to worry about anything anymore:) You can also use an opticalModule as an alternative.

opticalRendu update

1. Production run #1  bottom boards are on order. I ordered enough to cover the mailing list a few more so if you want in please send the email to reserve a unit.

2. Production run #1 enclosures will be ordered later today.

3. Chris is receiving a systemOptique care package in the mail this morning.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

opticalRendu update

1. Production run #1  bottom boards are on order. I ordered enough to cover the mailing list a few more so if you want in please send the email to reserve a unit.

I have not yet seen pricing.  Did I miss that in some post?

14 minutes ago, diecaster said:

I have not yet seen pricing.  Did I miss that in some post?

Pricing has not been announced yet, patience grasshopper...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

opticalRendu update

Will the optical modular be ready at the same time? I would need both

21 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Yes, the VSEL lasers and improved electronics are used in single mode (LX) SFP modules. 

The specs for the newer 10Gbase modules are much much tighter — and 40G and 100G tighter still. It is sometimes possible to run 10G modules at 1G but hard to know if this is necessary for home audio... if I listen carefully I think SM sounds better — hard to do this blinded. 

I use 10G switches with excellent clocks in both cases. 

I find  the biggest (perhaps 90%) improvement simply using optical and then perhaps only 10% with different modules but other people will hear their own results. I might just be biased but Lumin’s experiences are similar except that the actual fiber cables make no difference to me — highly encourage ClearCurve because they are bendable. I’ve standardized on singlemode going forward just because — note that new modules from Intel etc are packing 400G into a single singlemode cable 😳

in case of interest you will find dual rate 10G/1G with Finisar

https://www.finisar.com/sites/default/files/downloads/finisar_ftlx1475d3bnv_10g-1g_dual_rate_10gbase-lr-lw_1000base-lx_10km_1310nm_extended_temp_single_mode_datacom_sfp_optical_transceiver_productspecb1.pdf

As well as 400G (16*25 Gbps electrical) Optical Transceivers in CFP8 form factor:

https://www.finisar.com/optical-transceivers/ftcd1314e1bcl.

Have no idea about any sound improvement but at least when dealing with data and clock specifications no issue at all with 10G or dual rate 10G/1G ones like the one in the first link.

29 minutes ago, Arpiben said:

in case of interest you will find dual rate 10G/1G with Finisar

https://www.finisar.com/sites/default/files/downloads/finisar_ftlx1475d3bnv_10g-1g_dual_rate_10gbase-lr-lw_1000base-lx_10km_1310nm_extended_temp_single_mode_datacom_sfp_optical_transceiver_productspecb1.pdf

As well as 400G (16*25 Gbps electrical) Optical Transceivers in CFP8 form factor:

https://www.finisar.com/optical-transceivers/ftcd1314e1bcl.

Have no idea about any sound improvement but at least when dealing with data and clock specifications no issue at all with 10G or dual rate 10G/1G ones like the one in the first link.

Yes, the Finisars are awesome (I use) — they are OEM for Intel (as well as Avago)

Again not important for home audio but from a piece of electro-optical physical beauty sort of thing the ability to stuff these bits into a single fiber one and then recover them miles away is a true technical feat. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.