IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Or do you expect any half decent gigabit optical SFP module to perform the same and the USB output quality to be the same?

Often when I see SFP modules and opticalcables it is singlemode 1310nm SFP modules and Corning ClearCurve 9/125 singlemode cable that are recommended. 

I have modules from FS.com and Corning cable waiting for the etherREGEN. Will run optical from my Ubiquiti router to etherREGEN and from that to NUC with Roon ROCK and SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo endpoint. 

If it really matters what you use I dont know so I went with what I have seen recommended. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
9 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Let me try and address some of these questions without giving away too much.

Thanks for an excellent concise post that really helps me understand what is exciting about these new Sonore products.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi @JohnSwenson

When using the opticalRendu with optical SFP module - will it ONLY work when connected to a switch/router which has optical SFP module?

Or will it work with a single gigabit TP-Link (for example only) FMC 'feeding' it?

Or do those off-the-shelf FMC's (like TP-Link FMC's) only work as a pair with each other?

I'm just trying to think of all the options for feeding the opticalRendu via optical SFP module, preferably without having to get a new switch/router (if possible).

Thanks in advance

59 minutes ago, mozes said:

Can someone pls explain how we can feed an optical signal to the optical Rendu?

I think this will answer your questions. You can ofcourse use any of the shelf fiber products to feed it. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Have you picked out an optical SFP module that you've found performs best?

Or do you expect any half decent gigabit optical SFP module to perform the same and the USB output quality to be the same?

The ones we have tried have all worked very well. FYI we will provide the unit with and without SFP modules. As for sounds quality between SFP modules we will leave that up to you guys:)

2 hours ago, MagnusH said:

How much current will be needed for it? I love to run my stuff on batteries, but I have a feeling you will need more than a few AA to run it a day (maybe something like a 6v 10Ah sealed lead acid battery till work).

And what will they cost?

I'll release the full specs soon on our website when we are ready to start selling. However, don't sell off your existing power supplies yet because you will probably still be able to use them.  

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @JohnSwenson

When using the opticalRendu with optical SFP module - will it ONLY work when connected to a switch/router which has optical SFP module?

Or will it work with a single gigabit TP-Link (for example only) FMC 'feeding' it?

Or do those off-the-shelf FMC's (like TP-Link FMC's) only work as a pair with each other?

I'm just trying to think of all the options for feeding the opticalRendu via optical SFP module, preferably without having to get a new switch/router (if possible).

Thanks in advance

These connections work like any other network scheme and you need something to assign an IP address. That something can be a router or a computer as typical. There are endless options for configuration from simple to paranoid. I prefer simple:) If you have Ethernet at the opticalRendu then the opticalModule will convert the cable Ethernet to opticalEthernet. BAMM...you are done.    

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Can someone pls explain how we can feed an optical signal to the opticalRendu?

Most of us have the common switches with RJ45 ports. Do we need converters or just use USB to optical converters?

Same advice I just gave Em. The opticalModule will convert the cable Ethernet to opticalEthernet.  

A note about mis-matching fiber optic gear. 

The reason we came up with systemOptique was to try to provide and recommend gear that is compatible with each other. The idea long term it to have a list of things that work well together and not a good/better/best list.  

Some basic tips:

1. no hassle option - we will provide fiber optic SFP modules that work well together.  

2. DIY option - if you have your own make sure both ends support the same format. As an example I use two matching Gigabit SFP modules which are each specified as multi-mode, MiniGBIC, LC interface.

3. DIY option - Use optical SFP modules that runs at gigabit speed.  

Note: Some fiber optic network gear support direct optical output without a SFP module. With this gear the fiber optic cable connects directly to the network gear. That gear will have specified formats and you should match the SFP modules on the opticalRendu to it.

If you use a Sonore opticalModule it will be smooth sailing....

This is going to get really interesting.  Maybe things like a JCAT .NET Card FEMTO will be redundant with an opticalRendu.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

44 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Not redundant because they don't interconnect without an opticalModule. 

I meant the JCAT .NET Card FEMTO may contribute less to the ultimate sound quality.  My choice of the word redundant wasn't good.

Nothing before the fiber will influence the sound I think as long as the data is delivered successfully. Audio-jitter is not applicable in ethernet, and no electronic noise can get through the fiber. So its all about the fiber -> copper/data conversion and the USB audio output in the opticalRendu.

I use fiber myself, with 2 FMC to go from ethernet to fiber and back to ethernet, but then the last FMC will influence the sound, and its hardly optimized for audio. A hopefully cheap way for me to upgrade would be to exchange the last FMC for an opticalModule.

All in all very interesting products.

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Will the ultrarendu get the improvements which are not related to the fiber optic transceiver as well?

Matt

The opticalModule will block noise from the network upstream of it. What is left is the opticalModule and the product you connect it to...hopefully a Rendu:)  

16 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The opticalModule will block noise from the network upstream of it. What is left is the opticalModule and the product you connect it to...hopefully a Rendu:)  

I mean in comparison to the ultrarendu received the opticalrendu improvements which are not related to the optical input, like the femto clock for the network.

My question: Will the UR get these improvements as well?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)