IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

1 hour ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

2.  If the upgraded Rendu SE will only have a fiber input, I do have a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter, 1000Mbps RJ45 to 1000M Multi-Mode SC Fiber (MC200CM). Is this converter compatible with the upgraded unit for me to use until the Sonore Optical Module is available?

fyi -- i have these fmcs and use one to connect my endpoint (a nuc) to an sfp port on my switch.  you just need to get a fiber cable like this to work with the lc sfp module.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, Superdad said:

How would that be different or better than someone using your (less expensive and more optimized) opticalModule FMC—connected to the copper Ethernet port of their computer?

That StarTech unit does not act as a switch or router, so as with any FMC, the computer would still need another network connection—and I recall you are not a fan of people doing the problematic “bridging” dance.

Maybe a USB>fiber converter will be useful for laptops lacking an Ethernet port, but again, that fiber output still needs to go to someplace on the network which will give it an IP address.

Am I missing something here my friend? :)

—Alex C.

wouldn't it be advantageous to go endpoint > usb to fiber converter > fiber > sfp port on switch?  that would leave out a couple of power supplies at least.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, alexreusch said:

Hello, I saw the list of recommended Power Supplies and in general you recommend all PS to be set on 7VDC.

However, there is only one Power Supply that has lower settings, the Sbooster to be set on 6VDC. I know that Sbooster does currently not offer any Power Supply with 7VDC, but it is still on the list of recommended PS. Is there any negative impact running at 6VDC vs. 7VDC? What is your opinion on it? It is also possible to set the Sbooster to 6.5VDC.Would that be better than 6VDC?

the required input voltage is a range -- any power supply with a voltage within the range will work fine.  since power supplies that are recommended on the sonore web site are all 6v or 7v,  anything in between will be fine.  i doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between 6v, 6.5v, or 7v (assuming the same quality power supply) -- just too small a difference.

• 1 month later...

On the Sonore website it says 5 to 9 volts for the optical module and 6 to 9 volts for the optical rendu. Anything in the appropriate range will work (assuming it can provide enough current). With the optical module I found that 5 volt works best because it makes it run coolest. I assume the same is true for the optical rendu (7 v runs cooler than 9 v).

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I have a optical RenduSE that I was using with optical module and happy with sq. I bought the etherREGEN with the understanding that it would add additional benefits over the om. However, as mentioned here, you can’t use the om with the etherREGEN. After hours of trying to troubleshoot, this incompatibility was finally brought to my attention. So I removed om and ran the optical rendu to the sfp cage on the A side of the etherREGEN and now it works, I haven’t listened that long but so far I do hear a difference but not sure if better or different than just using the om setup i originally had. There is supposedly break in time so I will wait a while til making final judgement. There is a lot of conflicting information on these forums including telling us not to use the other A inputs if using the etherREGEN in this configuration to its ok to use the other A inputs. Seems kind of a waste of money to buy the etherREGEN instead of the om if you shouldnt use the other A ports. 

here's a link to alex's quote on this issue.  i think his explanation will help clear up things:

• 6 months later...
56 minutes ago, RichardK said:

yes, it'll work but will run warm.  with 5v instead of 7v, it runs nice and cool.

4 hours ago, Ken2020 said:

Although, I have ordered the Sonore LPS, I am also highly interested in the Farad Super3 Power Supply. I read the manual, it suggests that "current rating of the Farad power supply should be higher than the factory recommended current". and I remember Jesus suggested not to use 5V on the OpticalRendu. I am thinking to get one on M Scaler, if it is really that good, I will probably order one to try on the OpticalRendu.  

My apologies -- for some reason, I read that you were inquiring about the opticalModule.  You're right 7v recommended for the opticalRendu.