IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

On 1/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, Miska said:

If you are not familiar with intricate details of network configuration, it is better to stick with unmanaged switches that state support for 802.3x (flow-control).

Here is an unmanaged switch that I have been using for some time in my system that supports 802.3x.

Diablo Cable - Dual SFP Slot Media Converter with Dual 1000M Ethernet Ports

54 minutes ago, Michaelb4 said:

I have an eero with ethernet port. Small Green Computer sells a starter kit. Connect eero to switch by ethernet cable and then by fiber optic cable to Optical Rendu. Not sure where the transceiver module goes, I guess where it fits. Frankly hope that Sonore optical module follows shortly. 

I posted a schematic of my existing home network system that includes fiber optics (see below). My network uses Google Wifi but you can simply replace them with the eero, basically the same same.

The opticalModule would replace the existing FMC in my current system. However, if you go with a opticalRendu, no need for a FMC is needed, you go straight from the switch to the opticalRendu.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, John Burrow said:

I wish I'd read this post before ordering an OR for delivery to Australia, as I'm using my MR with an LPS-1, I would have bundled an SCG 7 in with it, with postage being $65 USD I guess I'll have to see how it performs, I wonder if it runs as hot on UPnP duties rather than USC into a DAC.

There are tons of decent Chinese made linear power supplies on ebay. I would think the shipping cost would be less than shipping from US.

Just search ebay for "hifi linear power supply". Most do not have a 7V setting as standard but they do have 5V and 9V. You could possibly ask them to set it to 7V given you usually need to message them to specify the voltage. From my understanding, they are all the same units with an adjustment knob that they set before shipping.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2019 at 8:53 PM, Musikfan said:

Hi, thank you for the responses.  Much appreciated.  I wonder if there are any OR and OM users that may weigh in on whether they see any perceived benefits to adding an etherREGEN to their systems.  I'm not sure I understand what added benefit the etherREGEN brings if one is already using an OR and OM.  I'm also using a sonic transporter plus Chord Dave+Mscaler.  Again, thanks.

For months, I went back and forth as to which route to go. Originally, I had a mRendu (Ethernet connection) but my music server has fiber optic output (Intel X520-DA1 NIC) so I chose to go with a OM (replaced a TP-Link FMC) since the etherREGEN was months away from production. The SQ improvement with the OM was very noticeable.

Once the OR was available, I ended up adding it. Since the OR has basically a OM built-in, I felt comfortable that I would retain the SQ goodness that the OM had brought. So I could sell my OM, which I have done, which could go toward payment of the OR.

Once I had the OR, it seemed silly to add an etherREGEN which only has one fiber optic port.

If the etherREGEN had come out much sooner, I may have gone another route. However, it didn't and I have absolutely no regrets with the route I took.

FYI - I am currently using the Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch (10GB switch for $135 on Amazon) connected to my server and OR as well as a few other devices (e.g. Internet access).

14 minutes ago, Foggie said:

So the output in the above is the Ethernet B port of the ER, how do you then connect optical to your OR SE?  Do you have a FMC after the ER?

I think he was originally trying to go:

Switch > etherRegen > oM > OR SE (on etherRegen, input on A side, output on B side) - problem is that B side is only 100Mbps and oM is 1000Mbps so they wouldn't connect.

After removing the oM:

Switch > etherRegen > OR SE (on etherRegen, input on B side, output on A side w/ fiber optic port) - that leaves all of the open (unused) ports on side A.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, gocubs42 said:

Friday I replace my switch with a Trendnet switch with a SFP slot. I ran 30 ft. of fiber to a FMC. I wanted to try out fiber in my network. Worked with no issues. I do hear a difference in increased volume and some separation in instruments. So basically replaced ethernet with the fiber. Now time for next steps but I have questions and looking for the best solution at a reasonable price.

One do I just remove the FMC and connect directly to a Sonore Optic Rendu

Two, Replace the FMC with a Sonore Optic Module and then connect a Sonore Rendu to the Module.

Three, (seems like a step backwards) go back to ethernet and connect a Optic Module close to the DAC and use an Optic Rendu.

Appreciate the help

If you can swing it financially, go for the opticalRendu. It is basically a opticalModule and Rendu unit combined. You would remove the FMC and connect the opticalRendu directly to the optical port on your switch. You should be able to use the same SFP module for the opticalRendu that is in your FMC.

If you have limited funds, then go with just the opticalModule.

Another option is to get a switch with multiple optical ports (SFP) and go:

Computer > Ethernet > FMC > fiber > switch > fiber > opticalRendu

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, iLguapo said:

The rendu is seen in sonicorbiter but it stops after a few songs and then it disappear from sonicorbiter 

After a shutdown or reboot using the Sonicobiter panel, I have found that I need to power off (actually unplug power cable) my opticalRendu for several minutes (15-30 minutes) and let it cool down before powering it up again.

43 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Do you have the current version of 2.8? For some people, including me, earlier versions of 2.8 had that problem which was resolved by a software update. 

I have the latest card with 2.8 but still have what I believe is an overheating issue during startup after shutdown or reboot, if the unit has not had a chance to cool down. No issue once everything is up and running. Not done extensive testing on this, but letting it cool down always has worked.

2 hours ago, barrows said:

Eric, have you updtaed the software recently though?  I mean in the last week or so?  I would recommend updating the software via the sonic orbiter web page as there have been updates which reduce any heat issues.

Yes, updated earlier this week or late last week, the last update I got was for the latest HQP NAA version. I had waited to get update card until the problem was initially reported and “ fixed” but found that unless I let unit cool down, it would not show up in Sonicorbiter web page. Generally I just leave my oR on so this is not something I do a lot thus limited experience.