IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

6 hours ago, RichardK said:

Hi @davide256

thanks for your post.It  seems we share a similar goal  🙂

I am replacing a combined Streamer  DAC. RaspberryPI Streamer 4x 1794 Non Oversampling  DAC  with an EtherREGEN in front of it with an AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet.Upstreamm the EtherREGEN is connected through optical fiber to an opticalModule

I bought  a Topping D90 MQA and liked it so much I want to buy  the opticalRendu and sell the old DAC and keep the D90. 

I have the feeling I will not need my EtherREGEN anymore with the opticalModule in front. What do you think?

Hard to know. A used catalyst switch with SFP port isn’t that expensive to trial for comparison. I’m having noise issues from my NUC because the DC power supply is in common with the pre/amp, am starting to think about alternatives

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 hours ago, RichardK said:

@FileMakerDevThat is a very nice configuration. Can I safely assume there were good reasons to take the better components?

Actually, it was a gamble based on Farad's reputation. I'm happy, but I never heard an unenhanced unit to compare it against. I was happy enough with the first one that when I ordered the second, I told them "just give me the exact same thing you gave me last time".

9 hours ago, davide256 said:

Would love to know what you were using before the opticalRendu?

I've been a happy Small Green Computer / Sonore customer for ten years... first I bought a VBA in 2010, then when it became available a microRendu, then when it became available an ultraRendu, and now an opticalRendu. Each Rendu has been a revelation.

In my setup I had the same cconclusion with the Ultrarendu and the iso regen. I will try it with the opticalrendu. But frist sell the Ultrarendu..

Thanks for your reply

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

I have a switch with SFP ports and I would like to connect the opticalRendu using either opticalModule or uptone EtherREGEN (RJ45 from switch to eR with high quality cable) and then fiber cable directly to the opticalRendu. Anyone has any experience comparing these two options and a preference?

1 hour ago, RichardK said:

I have a switch with SFP ports and I would like to connect the opticalRendu using either opticalModule or uptone EtherREGEN (RJ45 from switch to eR with high quality cable) and then fiber cable directly to the opticalRendy. Anyone has any experience comparing these two options and a preference?

I have a similar config and run a ~60ft optical cable directly from managed switch in util room to listening room direct to OR.  There is no go to answer unfortunately.  All the products you mentioned are of very high quality with great support. 

I think most would agree the components that make up your rig are usually very system dependent.  What I have found based on direct experience + usage is the difference between fiber and Ethernet are quite noticeable (IMHO, in my rig) and comes down to system and personal preference IMO.  Vocals + piano + acoustic guitar are usually easy to hear those differences and to categorize those in a general or descriptive sense, I sort of think of the Ethernet signature as softer vs the clarity / speed of optical.

The ER had a positive impact when using Ethernet only but that delta when running fiber only not as much IME (due to fiber inherent isolation).  That's not to say the ER in an all fiber connection scheme wouldn't provide its intended benefits, but that's really for the indiv to determine.

The one config I would still like to test, which I couldn't at the time, is an OM (connected with short eth cable at switch) directly to OR.  When I had an OM it didn't work in my system due to how the OM handled flow control. 

My rig

9 hours ago, RichardK said:

I have a switch with SFP ports and I would like to connect the opticalRendu using either opticalModule or uptone EtherREGEN (RJ45 from switch to eR with high quality cable) and then fiber cable directly to the opticalRendy. Anyone has any experience comparing these two options and a preference?

I replaced my opticalModule with an EtherRegen, to connect to my opticalRendu. Worthwhile, in my opinion. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Hi all, 

received my opticalRendu today. Worked well straight out of the box but after half an hour complained on the streaming speed (Roon) and stopped playing. restarted the machine. Started playing agian and after a few minutes same issue. Now it does not even seem to come up. Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated...

19 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Just found out that this only happens on the B-side of my EetherREGEN that is connected to it. Works well on the A-side. I am puzzled...

How is your opticalrendu connected to the EtherRegen on the A-side (through SFP?) or on the B-side ? If you are using an optical module between the opticalrendu and the ER, remember this will not work if the optical module is connected to the ER B-side. Remember the optical module is 1 Gbit only, and the ER B-side is 100 Mbit only.

@André Gosselin thanks for your reply. I switched everything  off and put the networkcable in a different port in the main switch and that seemed to help. I guess the network was confused because of me changing things. I also have an opticalModule that I connected. I have to say that EtherREGEN seems to have a stronger effect on the sound quality than the opticalModule. The sound of the opticalRendu is now very dynamic and super clean

4 minutes ago, RichardK said:

@André Gosselin thanks for your reply. I switched everything  off and put the networkcable in a different port in the main switch and that seemed to help. I guess the network was confused because of me changing things. I also have an opticalModule that I connected. I have to say that EtherREGEN seems to have a stronger effect on the sound quality than the opticalModule. The sound of the opticalRendu is now very dynamic and super clean

It would be interesting to know how the ER, opticalrendu and optical module were hooked up together, and now.Can you give clear info on that ?

I just bought a traded-in OpticalRendu from the Music Room. But it looks like it's actually an OpticalRendu lite for Roon as per the current 2.8 OS. Thing is that the original label from SMG says "Sonore opticalRendu" and not lite/roon. And the case is black - I thought all Roon Lite versions were silver? (I used to own one of those but I now want NAA playback). I assume it's a waste of my time and $29 to order the 2.8 OS for regular OpticalRendu and see if it works ... ? :( Otherwise I will just return it. Thanks to anyone for any input.

20 minutes ago, camott said:

I just bought a traded-in OpticalRendu from the Music Room. But it looks like it's actually an OpticalRendu lite for Roon as per the current 2.8 OS. Thing is that the original label from SMG says "Sonore opticalRendu" and not lite/roon. And the case is black - I thought all Roon Lite versions were silver? (I used to own one of those but I now want NAA playback). I assume it's a waste of my time and $29 to order the 2.8 OS for regular OpticalRendu and see if it works ... ? :( Otherwise I will just return it. Thanks to anyone for any input.

What makes you think it is a "lite"?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

10 minutes ago, barrows said:

What makes you think it is a "lite"?

Oh because the OS boots up as "opticalRendu Roon" and I can't install anything other than Roon .... I know it's extremely unlikely, but I just had this tiny hope that someone had mistakenly installed the Roon specific version of the SonicOrbiter OS on to a standard OR ... 

11 minutes ago, camott said:

Oh because the OS boots up as "opticalRendu Roon" and I can't install anything other than Roon .... I know it's extremely unlikely, but I just had this tiny hope that someone had mistakenly installed the Roon specific version of the SonicOrbiter OS on to a standard OR ... 

Ah, OK then, you are probably right.  Can you confirm @vortecjr?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• vortecjr changed the title to Sonore opticalRendu
  • 1 month later...

Hi there.  I’m traveling, and my buddy is trying to use my (newly purchased but used ) Optical Rendu.  It shows up on the network and seems fine running USB to a Gustard X26 Pro DAC but, all things the same, Roon cannot start playback to the same Zone when the Mola Mola Tambaqui is connected instead.

Has anyone used OpticalRendu with a Tambaqui? Is there any reason that the OR would have a problem with USB output to *any* DAC? I know the latter answer is ‘No’ but this may be an edge case? 

49 minutes ago, coldbru said:

Hi there.  I’m traveling, and my buddy is trying to use my (newly purchased but used ) Optical Rendu.  It shows up on the network and seems fine running USB to a Gustard X26 Pro DAC but, all things the same, Roon cannot start playback to the same Zone when the Mola Mola Tambaqui is connected instead.

Has anyone used OpticalRendu with a Tambaqui? Is there any reason that the OR would have a problem with USB output to *any* DAC? I know the latter answer is ‘No’ but this may be an edge case? 

1.  Does Roon, recognize the Tambaqui?  Roon should be able to "see" the DAC, and list it.

2. Sometimes different powering up sequences are necessary to get the proper handshake between DAC and Renderer (the oR).  I would recommend making sure the Tambaqui is powered up first, then powering up the oR.

SONORE computer audio