IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

I assume @diecaster your question is a follow up to me writning that I wait for the etherREGEN. You dont need a etherREGEN if you have a opticalRendu I have a different layout of my system and needs a switch that connects to my Roon core and Roon endpoint.

This is not necessarily true. Phase noise from upstream clocks DOES pass through optical cables as well as copper cables. The prime reason for the EtherRegen is that it blocks this upstream phase noise. So it may still provide some improvement with an opticalRendu. You may hear the difference, you may not depending your system. 

So I would not say there is guaranteed to be no advantage of the EtherREGEN if you have an opticalRendu. It's going to have to be a try it and see.

John S.

11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

So this means the opticalRendu won't feature your 'Clock Blocking' feature?

Correct, first off it is still in development, it is very expensive, it takes a lot of room.

The upshot is that to put it in an opticalRendu would mean a bigger case, Two power supplies, and cost a LOT more. This did not seem like a good way to go for something that may or may not make a difference depending on the users system.

John S.

The opticalRendu runs at gigabit, period. It will not run at 100Mbit or 10G.

The technical details are that the protocol used by most of the optical SFP modules runs at gigabit without auto-negotiation. Theoretically it could run at 100Mbit, but without auto-negotiation there would have to be a switch to select which speed. I considered that to be way too confusing for most situations.

There is a different protocol that runs over SFP that DOES implement auto-negotiation so it can automatically deal with different speeds, but the number of modules that use this protocol is very small. The problem is that it is very difficult if not impossible to tell which type of module you have. So it was decided to make it work with just the vast majority of modules which will be what most users will be using.

John S.

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@vortecjr or @JohnSwenson

What’s you best guess about this one. I expect it to work, since fiber side is 1000 Mbps, but it has also been said 10/100/1000 types won’t work.

https://planetechusa.com/gt-805a-10-100-1000base-t-to-minigbic-sfp-converter/

This should work fine. The 1000FX is the SFP side (it is the gigabit fiber mode, which is what the opticalRendu supports). The 10/100/1000 is the RJ-45 Ethernet side which is normal.

The problem is when you plug in an SFP Ethernet module into the SFP cage. As long as the SFP module you plug in is gigabit optical you are fine.

John S.

1 hour ago, sahmen said:

These useful caveats are highly appreciated, especially by someone like myself with clocks of impatience that often need to be held at bay in such initial auditioning processes 😀

I heartily agree with Barrows, it takes at least 24 hours for one of these to start to come close to what the ultimate sound will be. After 48 hours they will be getting pretty close. 

John S.

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

KEY POINT:  those of you who have received your units, why are there no reviews of audio quality????????????

A few posts back we told people it takes 24-48 hours to get into the really sounding good state, maybe everybody is taking that to heart? Although wend could audiophiles ever WAIT when they have new gear.

John S.

15 minutes ago, incus said:

I am currently using and have only ever used the supplied Uptone branded SMPS with the 1.2. The 1.2 has successfully been powering other things for a while but the problem with the oRendu persists. With the LED green on the 1.2, the LED on the oRendu will start red. Then it goes amber. Then when it seems like it's about to go green it shuts down the 1.2 momentarily. Then the the 1.2 flashes red or a second. Then goes green. Then the whole process starts all over again with the oRendu going from red to amber to shutting down the 1.2 again. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aha, this sounds like the optialRendu is pulling a bit higher current right as the network connects (which is the last part of the boot process, just before it goes green) and that extra current is pushing the LPS-1.2 over the edge.

It doesn't seem like anything is broken, just that probably due to manufacturing tolerances your combination of opticalRendu and LPS-1.2 just don't get along together.

John S.

5 minutes ago, incus said:

But thank you for your explanation.

What output mode are you using? Different modes might cause increased activity when connecting to the server. That might cause the bump in current.

That's just my curiosity trying to figure out what is happening. It obviously doesn't work for you, so of course use what DOES work for you.

John S.

4 hours ago, sahmen said:

Okay, so the Optical module is now shipping...  Will it be of any benefit if I try to use it with the ultrarendu, while waiting to get the optical rendu?

And first of all, is it possible to use the optical module, along with the included fiber transceiver and the optional system optique fiber optical cable with an ultrarendu, and hear some differences?

If anyone has indeed tried a similar set up, could you let us know about your experiences?

I have tried this many times, it works VERY well. My experience is that It is a significant upgrade to the ultraRendu, but nowhere near as good as the opticalModule feeding an opticalRendu.

John S.

43 minutes ago, Foggie said:

So in a scenario with a managed switch that has fiber built in - how does one evaluate/determine the performance or quality of its fiber link?  With all the talk of clocks, power supplies, servers directly connected to DAC (Innuos) etc.. Confusing.  SOTM has a whole line of separate devices with dedicated USB, pwr, endpoint.

Specifically my switch (TP-Link TL-SG2216 ) is AC powered connected to a UPS along with my router/FW, modem, NAS, all of which are in in a network rack located in laundry room with a 25m optical cable to listening room which is connected to a FMC (Trendnet TFC-1000MGA) to a mU.  Wkst running ROON server and HQP are also in laundry room connected to switch via BJC cat6e.  SFP modules are cisco glc-sx-mm

I'm thinking hard about next move, so many differentiating opinions about svr direct connect (to DAC) or separate modules (similar to my setup).  What to do?

Of course that depends on how much money you want to spend. The best sound will be from an opticalRendu and opticalModule. Plug the opticalModule into the switch with a short Ethernet cable, plug your existing optical cable into the opticalModule and the other end of the fiber cable into the opticalRendu.

If you don't want to spend that much the least expensive upgrade is an opticalModule in place of the existing FMC. There are various options with ultraRendus with intermediate cost.

An opticalRendu connected to the existing fiber cable, without the opticalModule at the switch end, is going to sound considerably better than the microRendu with the opticalModule feeding it. I still think it will sound better than an opticalModule feeding an ultraRendu, but the best is the opticalModule feeding the opticalRendu.

Lots of ways you can mix and match the parts.

John S.

1 hour ago, sahmen said:

This is probably a dumb question, but I saw it coming from more than a mile away...  For those using an Opticalmodule with the ultrarendu, how do you connect it (the OM) to the ultrarendu, given that the latter is not equipped with an SFP cage / SFP optical transceiver for network connection unlike the opticalRendu, which is?  The RJ45 connector on my OM is receiving the signal directly from my router with my existing regular ethernet cable, leaving the SFP optical output as the only option for the Ultrarendu.

I'm beginning to suspect that I may need a second FMC unit armed with its own transceiver to make the .connection work.  If this is the case, then I have a TP-link MC220L unit with its own SFP transceiver on standby, which I can use, at least temporarily while I continue to sort the situation out.  Now if this is indeed the case, then which of the two (The OM or the TP-LINK FMC unit) should be positioned immediately before the ultrarendu in the chain, in order to make the noise isolation work optimally?  I am assuming that the OM should come immediately before the ultrarendu, but if I am mistaken in any of the above assumptions, kindly let me know.  Nothing is connected  as yet, since I am awaiting responses and any possible corrective input from this forum before I proceed, but here is the chain I am envisaging:

Router==>Existing cable Ethernet==>>TP Link MC220L/SFP Tranceiver==>> New Optical Ethernet ==>>OM/SFP Transceiver ==>> New Cable Ethernet==>>Ultrarendu.

Any helpful suggestions/corrections are wholeheartedly welcome.

Thanks.

Yes, your diagram is correct. Two things you need to be sure of: the two SFP modules are compatible, the optical cable is compatible with the modules and the upstream FMC is gigabit.

If you want to use the SFP module that comes from Sonore the other one must match:

850nm; multimode fiber, LC connector

The fiber cable must match the above.

Just make sure both SFP modules match this and the cable also matches the above and you should be fine.

John S.

3 hours ago, sgr said:

Reposted as I wanted to add more info and was not allowed. 

Hi,
Have ORendu installed with the Sonore kit of optical cable, power supply for ORendu and an LPS1.2 powering the optical module. All components have powered up correctly and are stable.  First observations the ORendu has a clarity that I’d not experienced with the URendu. I believe it does sound better and has sure improved the longer its been electrified. But......
I can only get it to work with ROON. Not as HqPlayer NAA. I’ve tried many different filters (probably not every possible combination as that would be impossible I think) and am using Legacy Audio Wavelet DAC for PCM only  and can’t get it to play without stuttering or playing at all. Music will play a second or two then stop start again. 

I’ve rebooted the pc many times, used the sonic orbiter app to select HQPlayer Naa, done the same with ROON. Hqplayer is connected to the ORendu and sees it as a device as it did see URendu.  Nothing seems to work. The URendu is unplugged and not in the system at all so I know it’s not interfering. I also did ipconfig and reconfigured the ORendu in ROON just in case and it used the same address as the URendu did so that didn’t matter. 
My Ultra Rendu worked fine with exact same equipment and the same settings in HQPlayer 4.4 but they won’t work on ORendu.

I’d be glad for some help or ideas. 

Given that Roon works it is probably not a bad connection issue. Dropouts etc could be happening because of the extra two devices the packets are going through, that's about the only thing that can be different from the uR setup. How many network devices do you have between the computer running HQP and the oM? If the HQP computer is connected to the same switch as the oM, one thing to try is to temporarily put it on the same switch and see if that makes any difference.

I don't use HQP so I can't give any specific advice on that, I can just ask some general questions. Is there any options in HQP having to do with buffer size or number of buffers? If yes that is good place to start.

John S.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...