IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

• vortecjr pinned and featured this topic
3 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

LOL.

Is the actual module that converts fiber to copper ethernet an “off the shelf “ one or something Sonore developed ?

Sorry...I couldn't help myself:) To answer your original question...John designed the board. The opticalModule is not off the shelf hardware. 

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Thanks. So my question is about the handling of the data. So it’s a direct optical ethernet to USB conversion process?

There is no intermediate copper ethernet stage, correct?

As far as I know there is no such thing as direct optical to USB conversion. The SFP modules convert the optical signal to an interface format.

FYI There are SFP modules which accept cable Ethernet incase people prefer cable Ethernet. 

57 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Let me try and address some of these questions without giving away too much. In the ultraRendu the Ethernet port from the iMX6 is connected to an Ethernet PHY, which talks to a very high quality Ethernet jack with built in magnetics. The PHY is directly connected to the "outside world" which leaves it somewhat susceptible to the signal integrity of whatever is connected to it.

In the opticalRendu the output of the PHY is connected to the SFP module through the Ethernet circuit I designed. I'm not at liberty to discuss the details of this circuit. What I can say is that this circuit uses a ton of very high quality voltage regulation and very low phase noise clocking. The result is that the PHY connected to the processor is fed a signal that is cleaner than any external Ethernet connection you can buy today.

This circuit is the primary new addition to the opticalRendu and is where the additional oscillator is used. Using an optical network connection provides a remarkable synergy with this circuit allowing it to produce such a clean output to the CPU.

As has been mentioned other parts of the opticalRendu have been significantly improved as well.

That's as much as I can say right now.

John S.

John, I have not tried the RJ45 SFP. What are your thoughts on using it?

17 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

A RJ45 SFP module WILL work, as long as it is NOT a 10/100/1000 one, it HAS to be JUST a gigabit module. These modules do not block leakage currents from the network. The optical does. How much this is going to effect the sound is of course dependent on the network setup.

Another issue is the difference between an optical and Ethernet SFP module. The optical module is very simple, the incoming light from the fiber goes to a high speed photo diode, then to a simple amplifier. The output from the amplifier goes to my circuit. All the signal conditioning and clocking, protocol conversion etc is done in my circuit which uses very low phase noise clocks, extremely clean power etc. With a RJ45 SFP the clocking and conversion circuits are all done with whatever is in the SFP module, I can guarantee it is not as good as what is in my circuit! The signal from the RJ45 SFP still goes through my circuit which can clean it up some, but it's not as good as what I can do with the optical signal.

So an opticalRendu with an RJ45 SFP WILL be better than an ultraRendu fed by the same Ethernet cable, the opticalRendu fed by an optical signal is significantly better.

John S.

Thanks John.

11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Have you picked out an optical SFP module that you've found performs best?

Or do you expect any half decent gigabit optical SFP module to perform the same and the USB output quality to be the same?

The ones we have tried have all worked very well. FYI we will provide the unit with and without SFP modules. As for sounds quality between SFP modules we will leave that up to you guys:)

2 hours ago, MagnusH said:

How much current will be needed for it? I love to run my stuff on batteries, but I have a feeling you will need more than a few AA to run it a day (maybe something like a 6v 10Ah sealed lead acid battery till work).

And what will they cost?

I'll release the full specs soon on our website when we are ready to start selling. However, don't sell off your existing power supplies yet because you will probably still be able to use them.  

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @JohnSwenson

When using the opticalRendu with optical SFP module - will it ONLY work when connected to a switch/router which has optical SFP module?

Or will it work with a single gigabit TP-Link (for example only) FMC 'feeding' it?

Or do those off-the-shelf FMC's (like TP-Link FMC's) only work as a pair with each other?

I'm just trying to think of all the options for feeding the opticalRendu via optical SFP module, preferably without having to get a new switch/router (if possible).

Thanks in advance

These connections work like any other network scheme and you need something to assign an IP address. That something can be a router or a computer as typical. There are endless options for configuration from simple to paranoid. I prefer simple:) If you have Ethernet at the opticalRendu then the opticalModule will convert the cable Ethernet to opticalEthernet. BAMM...you are done.    

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Can someone pls explain how we can feed an optical signal to the opticalRendu?

Most of us have the common switches with RJ45 ports. Do we need converters or just use USB to optical converters?

Same advice I just gave Em. The opticalModule will convert the cable Ethernet to opticalEthernet.  

A note about mis-matching fiber optic gear. 

The reason we came up with systemOptique was to try to provide and recommend gear that is compatible with each other. The idea long term it to have a list of things that work well together and not a good/better/best list.  

Some basic tips:

1. no hassle option - we will provide fiber optic SFP modules that work well together.  

2. DIY option - if you have your own make sure both ends support the same format. As an example I use two matching Gigabit SFP modules which are each specified as multi-mode, MiniGBIC, LC interface.

3. DIY option - Use optical SFP modules that runs at gigabit speed.  

Note: Some fiber optic network gear support direct optical output without a SFP module. With this gear the fiber optic cable connects directly to the network gear. That gear will have specified formats and you should match the SFP modules on the opticalRendu to it.

If you use a Sonore opticalModule it will be smooth sailing....

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Will the ultrarendu get the improvements which are not related to the fiber optic transceiver as well?

Matt

The opticalModule will block noise from the network upstream of it. What is left is the opticalModule and the product you connect it to...hopefully a Rendu:)  

Thanks. These tips?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/55217-sonore-opticalrendu/?do=findComment&comment=910984

This is a bit different to what I’m asking. I’m not asking about the correct SFP module to pair with the opticalModule - but pairing with a single FMC unit itself (like a single TP-Link MC200CM for example).

It's exactly what you are asking. Refer to the note at the bottom:

Note: Some fiber optic network gear support direct optical output without a SFP module. With this gear the fiber optic cable connects directly to the network gear. That gear will have specified formats and you should match the SFP modules on the opticalRendu to it. In addition you need the correct cable to make the conversion. 

Noted. So it’s just SFP module and fiber cable that needs to match properly. The “rest” of the FMC (like for the TP-Link MC200CM ) doesn’t matter. That’s what I’m asking about.

Clearer now.

If the TP-Link is multi-mode then get a multi-mode SFP...

The cables naturally need to fit in the corresponding ends. 

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

Lol, it’s all good. I already have a pair of TP-Link FMC’s working...

I just wasn’t aware you could have a single unit directly talking to the opticalModule. I thought they could only talk to each other in pairs, due to circuitry other than the SFP module and cable.

Everything is clearer now.

If they don't work then we will not list them as systemOptique compatible:)