vortecjr

Sonore systemOptique

Rate this topic

I see that the Optique is now priced and offered on your website. What power supply is included. I see linear power regulation but I assume that is inside the Optique.

I switched to ATT fiber today but they don't include a modem with fiber out so I will need a converter like the Optique

I Would likely wait until the optical Rendu is ready to ship and have them shipped together

5 minutes ago, tomjtx said:

I see that the Optique is now priced and offered on your website. What power supply is included. I see linear power regulation but I assume that is inside the Optique.

I switched to ATT fiber today but they don't include a modem with fiber out so I will need a converter like the Optique

I Would likely wait until the optical Rendu is ready to ship and have them shipped together

Have you got a link please @tomjtx ?

I can't find any optical kit at https://www.sonore.us/index.html

15 minutes ago, tomjtx said:

It’s listed at Small Green Computer

sorry, I should have clarified that

No worries, cheers😊

2 hours ago, tomjtx said:

It’s listed at Small Green Computer

Sorry, not seeing it at Small Green Computer either.

28 minutes ago, User471 said:

Is this what we are talking about?

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/systemoptique-starter-kit?variant=15904493764642

If so is that not 'just' a standard TRENDnet device, not a tricked out one with 'audiophile' mods?

No mods. This is a standard network switch with SFP cage and RJ45 ports. 

3 hours ago, tomjtx said:

That package includes a linear power supply. We are going to offer this package in this configuration because most people who need to add optical can use these parts. We will then (soon) add opticalModule as an option for purchase with and without a power supply.

6 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

No mods. This is a standard network switch with SFP cage and RJ45 ports. 

OK , so the PSU accounts for the difference in price, makes sense and cents 🙂

3 minutes ago, tomjtx said:

OK , so the PSU accounts for the difference in price, makes sense and cents 🙂

Hmmm... the linear power supply that comes with it?

Is there a technical reason why not to include an Ethernet to SFP inside a regular rendu product so that we can have the optical isolation and still use the same regular Ethernet network? A larger chassis would be no problem if needed.

1 minute ago, Dutch said:

You mean this? :)

No, I meant Ethernet input only as a regular ultrarendu, but with INTERNAL optical isolation.

1 minute ago, Matias said:

No, I meant Ethernet input only as a regular ultrarendu, but with INTERNAL optical isolation.

I already edited my post as I understood what you meant shortly after posting it. You were too quick or I too slow! :)

12 minutes ago, Matias said:

Is there a technical reason why not to include an Ethernet to SFP inside a regular rendu product so that we can have the optical isolation and still use the same regular Ethernet network? A larger chassis would be no problem if needed.

That is kind of cumbersome and would still require independent power supplies to do it right. Not to mention a more costly enclosure. The solution we have is very simple and the opticalModule will be the size of a credit card. 

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The solution we have is very simple and the opticalModule will be the size of a credit card. 

You mean 2 (two) opticalModules to accomplish what he is wanting? And two nice LPSs for them!

2 minutes ago, thyname said:

You mean 2 (two) opticalModules to accomplish what he is wanting? And two nice LPSs for them!

And an optical cable:)

Are there any plans to sell the system Optique kit via Audiostore Vortexbox in the UK?  They have always given me good service and it saves any hassle with customs etc.

I don’t think this release could be any more confusing, and I’m pretty well versed for a layman on FMCs!

Questions:

So since the UO is too rich fpor me at the moment, I’m curious about the OM. I’m thinking it’s a different thing than the systemOptique? That appears to just be an OEM switch with all the right bits to get one up and running into a UO? And the OM will be similar to an FMC? 

I currently have an mR 1.4, a newer Cisco 2960 1g switch for the whole house (which improved audio and network quality all around), which I can run a cable from the SFP out of that (cable already in place between floors) to the OM, and then RJ45 from that to the mR. Is that correct?

Any idea when the link for the OM will be active?

Best,

CP

38 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I don’t think this release could be any more confusing, and I’m pretty well versed for a layman on FMCs!

Questions:

So since the UO is too rich fpor me at the moment, I’m curious about the OM. I’m thinking it’s a different thing than the systemOptique? That appears to just be an OEM switch with all the right bits to get one up and running into a UO? And the OM will be similar to an FMC? 

I currently have an mR 1.4, a newer Cisco 2960 1g switch for the whole house (which improved audio and network quality all around), which I can run a cable from the SFP out of that (cable already in place between floors) to the OM, and then RJ45 from that to the mR. Is that correct?

Any idea when the link for the OM will be active?

Best,

CP

Sorry for any confusion!  For clarity:

systemeOptique is not a product, it is a name which refers to series of products from Sonore using optical transmission.

Currently the announced products from Sonore are:

opticalRendu: this is an Ethernet Renderer, with optical input, and USB output for connection to a DAC.

opticalModule: this is a high end FMC (fiber media converter) with Ethernet (copper) cabling in/out and optical Ethernet in/out. The opticalModule is used to convert from wired Ethernet (CAT 6A, etc) to optical (fiber) Ethernet.

Neither of these products is available yet.  The opticalRendu will be released first, and the opticalModule will come later.

3 minutes ago, barrows said:

Sorry for any confusion!  For clarity:

systemeOptique is not a product, it is a name which refers to series of products from Sonore using optical transmission.

Currently the announced products from Sonore are:

opticalRendu: this is an Ethernet Renderer, with optical input, and USB output for connection to a DAC.

opticalModule: this is a high end FMC (fiber media converter) with Ethernet (copper) cabling in/out and optical Ethernet in/out. The opticalModule is used to convert from wired Ethernet (CAT 6A, etc) to optical (fiber) Ethernet.

Neither of these products is available yet.  The opticalRendu will be released first, and the opticalModule will come later.

Very nice write up! Thank you for clarifying.

From Chris here, we have the price on opticalRendu.

Do we have a price for opticalRendu? I would assume we need two of these if we don't have an opticalRendu, and simply want to implement fiber optics isolation for our "regular", copper Ethernet streamer? Do you know if the opticalRendu would benefit from using a nice linear power supply?

Thanks!

On 1/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, Matias said:

A suitable FMC, SFP modules, and some optical cable will cost ~$100.00.

Putting internal optical isolation inside a Rendu in the way you propose would add considerably more to the price than that, and makes little sense, as one still has the noise transmitted over the Ethernet cable coming into the Rendu where you do not want it (where it can couple to the other circuitry and the USB output).  It is a much better solution to offer the optical input as a way to fully isolate the Rendu from any noise present in the commercial computer gear (and optical cable can be run 100s of meters, so one can easily get all the commercial computer gear and its noise well away physically from the audio system).

3 minutes ago, thyname said:

Very nice write up! Thank you for clarifying.

From Chris here, we have the price on opticalRendu.

Do we have a price for opticalRendu? I would assume we need two of these if we don't have an opticalRendu, and simply want to implement fiber optics isolation for our "regular", copper Ethernet streamer? Do you know if the opticalRendu would benefit from using a nice linear power supply?

Thanks!

Prices have not been announced for the opticalModule.

Yes, like any of the Rendu series of Ethernet Renderers (microRendu, ultraRendu, etc), the opticalRendu will perform best with the best power supply possible.

Another option I have not seen mentioned is to add a fiber optic card to your music server. I have an Intel card & SFP installed in my Linux-based server. I don't recall the exact card or pricing (mod done several years ago) but bought everything off eBay for not a lot of $$. (As a side note, the drivers for the Intel card are directly supported and update by Linux - Ubuntu).

So my current system has fiber optics cable coming out of my music server to a switch similar to what is included in the kit. From the switch I run a copper Ethernet cable to my mRendu.

No idea on how my configuration compares to this new offering. My guess is that is not as good but ... I would like to get the new opticalRendu if I can handle the price.