Music Enthusiast

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, yyz said:

I was reading some of the comments earlier on this thread wondering about the volume control of the Tambaqui direct to amp vs Makua w/DAC. It seemed like the posters were saying the Tambaqui was better. The dealer I contacted for Mola Mola seemed to feel the Makua was the easy winner. The review posted above also indicated the Makua was better for volume.

Yes, from what I searched and posted on the other thread, Makua should be better to drive power amplifiers directly:

From what I understood the Makua with DAC volume is relay-based and "directly controls the gain of the output stage", while Tambaqui uses the same output stage but always at maximum gain and the volume is digital attenuation only.

I bought an used Makua with DAC. :)

1. Sonore ultraRendu - Uptone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen - Calyx Femti - Monitor Audio PL100
3. Hidizs S8 - Audeze LCDi3

@The Computer Audiophile

Ever try and get one of these to review? Any interest?

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup and a RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, yyz said:

I was reading some of the comments earlier on this thread wondering about the volume control of the Tambaqui direct to amp vs Makua w/DAC. It seemed like the posters were saying the Tambaqui was better. The dealer I contacted for Mola Mola seemed to feel the Makua was the easy winner. The review posted above also indicated the Makua was better for volume.

I have not heard the Makua, but it seems an earlier post suggested that Mola Mola considers them nearly equal.  Why not choose depending upon your need for inputs/functions instead?  If you want one piece of gear that is a streamer/DAC/preamp and that accepts copper ethernet, the Tambaqui is the better option of the two.  In the U.S., the Tambaqui is available to try before buying.  Not sure what other distributors provide...   

Roon / Mola Mola Tambaqui / Kubala-Sosna XLR / Mola Mola Kaluga / KS biwire / B&W 803 D3

+ essentials:  UpTone JS-2 LPS >> Sonore Optical Module > UpTone EtherREGEN

I think Mola Mola designed the Makua and Tambaqui thoughtfully, in order of increasing performance, and of course price

Tambagui = straight to power amp
Makua = preamp with integrated DAC
Tambaqui = to external preamp
And of course selection of input / output & power cables makes a big difference.

By the way Mola Mols just introduced a major software upgrade for the Tambaqui and the control app (for your iPad) which is much more user friendly.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Very interested. 

I’ll put it on my list. For some reason I just overlooked this one. 

There are people who prefer it to EMM. Will be interesting to hear your reaction if you get one. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup and a RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The Tambaqui Ethernet input supports only the roon protocol which is a deal breaker for me.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

The Tambaqui Ethernet input supports only the roon protocol which is a deal breaker for me.

You’d need to add in a Rendu. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You’d need to add in a Rendu. 

I can add many things but for the price one would expect wider support of streaming protocols.

19 minutes ago, Ran said:

Sure?  Website mentions DLNA via ethernet too as an option.  Bugger.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

One does not have to use the Ethernet input of course.  One is free to use a separate Renderer which does support one's preferred streaming protocol, and subsequently the USB input of the Tambaqui (or Makua, whatever).  There may even be a sonic improvement by using a separate Renderer (I have no experience testing the Tamabaqui's Ethernet input).

I would also suggest that complaints aside, I think most will find the asking price for the Tambaqui is quite reasonable (even if it had no Ethernet input at all), as the DACs which it competes with sonically are often quite a bit more expensive.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Buffalo PRO or DSC-2--Ncore 400 Stereo-Focus Audio FS888-JL E-112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC cables, Iconoclast XLR, Iconoclast speaker, cables, Synergistic Orange & Hi Fi Tuning Supreme Cu Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.    Design/Build Consultant with Sonore

SONORE computer audio

FYI new Mola Mola Kula integrated amp released.

1. Sonore ultraRendu - Uptone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen - Calyx Femti - Monitor Audio PL100
3. Hidizs S8 - Audeze LCDi3