IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

Suprisingly Wetzels comparison with the Bartok seems to me to be in contradiction to Darkos. Didn't Darko say that the Tambaqui had opened up the room more? Less blanquet than with the Bartok? Here Wetzel says that the Tambaqui couldn't quite match the dCS wide-open sound. Hmm, maybe both used different filter settings on the dCS in their comparisons (plus many other variables of course). Looking forward to newly posted listening experiences here from the AS community.

Also great that Wetzel comments so explicity on Tambaquis performance direct to power amp vs. using the Hegel preamp saying that he prefered to have the preamp in ... I am still dreaming of a DAC that will work better directly to power amp. Soo appealing. Less boxes, less cables, less footers, less space

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

Very justified question of course. Still I would believe that relative differences between Bartok and Tambaqui wrt openess and clarity would show up even in different systems/rooms. Of course below 500 Hz the room matters a lot (assuming they are not using anything analogous to the great digital room correction + room treatment you have at work). Also liveliness of the rooms will be different. But still I would believe that it will be the same DAC among the two that is more extended/more open or maybe brighter. OTOH with Bartok maybe putting out more energy below 500 Hz in Darkos quite minimally treated room, the associated substantial room modes therein will reduce the perceived clarity as opposed to another DAC putting out less punch down low. 

Still wondering about the use of SMPSs in the Tambaqui (and Chord DAVE). From my understanding, the two-box solution with a sophisticated LPS in a separate housing as offered with the Holo Audio May for example seems to be the much better way to go.

Just yesterday I had read the following article:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/how-to-optimize-digital-streaming-with-optical-fiber/

which again summarizes the issue with SMPSs in the following way:

"The dreaded switch-mode power supply (aka SMPS)—the ubiquitous device that powers almost everything from a computer’s internal power supply to streamers, network bridges, routers, NAS’s, external hard drives, switches, fiber media converters, etc.—are very dirty and nasty sources of noise, as they create both low-impedance and high-impedance AC leakage currents, which travel down DC power busses and lines, and ultimately into our DACs. High-impedance leakage currents arising from SMPS are particularly insidious, as they cause increased jitter and clock phase noise."

Now what about those hi-impedance leakage currents if the SMPS sits right in the DAC as in the Tambaqui and DAVE. Also dCS seems to use SMPSs in their Bartok. However, measurements, e.g., of the DAVE in Stereophile still look very impressive despite the SMPS sitting directly inside its relatively small case. Any expert opinions on this here?

20 hours ago, barrows said:

Look at the measurements for the Tambaqui first:  It is one of the absolute best measuring DACs in the world with no noise on its output.

Many thanks, barrows. I have just looked at the Tambaquis measurements which indeed look very impressive. Along with these I have found that the Toping D90 shows measurements that look quite close for less than 1/10 of the price. Maybe it will be worth checking the D90 in the listening room first with PCM->DSD256. Will have to look for a D90 thread now.

• 7 months later...

Not possibility to connect any external power supply to my understanding. Indeed, I think such a possiblity would be very welcome. Note sure whether some after-market solution will become available for the Tambaqui, i.e., something equivalent to the Sean Jacobs DC4 PSU upgrade for the Chord DAVE.