IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

I just re read this interview of Bruno Putseys from April  2014 in which he describes how he came upon the design of his DAC and some hints about how it works.

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/features-menu/general-interest-interviews-menu/465-searching-for-the-extreme-bruno-putzeys-of-mola-mola-hypex-and-grimm-audio-part-two

And 4 2/3 years later it’s finally available!

LOL, it was worth the wait...

• 2 months later...

I’ve been really enjoying my Tambaqui since I got it in December.  Tonight I upgraded the firmware to their latest Version 1.0.  A pleasantly surprising enhancement in performance.  Improved clarity and depth of soundstage  Highly recommended.  

I have the Mola Mola App, which you can download off of their webbsite, on my iPad.  The app can set all of the Tambaqui functions, control volume (i’m running Direct since I use a presmp) and download software.  The Tambaqui communicates via Bluetooth with my iPad, so there’s no need to connect the Tambaqui directly to the internet for new software.  Clever design...

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, guiltyboxswapper said:

Have any Tambaqui or Makua DAC owners tried HQPlayer with this DAC?  Given the design does it reap much benefits?

I experimented with HQPlayer and Roon on a MacBook Pro connected by USB to a PS Audio Directstream DAC, which upsamples internally to 20X DSD.  I had fun playing wit HQPlayer but after trying countless combinations I concluded the Directstream DAC sounded best without any processing by either HQPlayer or Roon.  

Here’s a link that discusses the issues with pre processing before inputting to a DAC.

https://www.psaudio.com/article/this-is-the-article-title-here/

In the Tambaqui  “...all incoming digital audio is upsampled to 3.125MHz/32 bits and converted  to noise shaped PWM”  Given this internal processing, which seems unique and to my ears makes the Tambaqui sound very special, I doubt that pre processing the digital signal with add anything, and more likely will subtract from the end result.  

But if you try HQP let us know what you hear, one never knows unless you try it for yourself.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think Mola Mola designed the Makua and Tambaqui thoughtfully, in order of increasing performance, and of course price

Tambagui = straight to power amp
Makua = preamp with integrated DAC
Tambaqui = to external preamp
And of course selection of input / output & power cables makes a big difference.

By the way Mola Mols just introduced a major software upgrade for the Tambaqui and the control app (for your iPad) which is much more user friendly.
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here’s a description, particularly at the beginning and very end of the video, of the difference between using the Tambaqui directly into your amplifier and using a preamp.  In my experience if you’re seeking the best possible sound and can afford the investment a good preamp will make a big, positive difference.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...