IGNORED

Article: Quick Take: The Linear Solution DS-1 Network Streamer

On 12/29/2018 at 9:33 PM, Advieira said:

NUC7CJYH - US$ 120

Akasa Newton JC - US$ 100

Audiolinux - US$ 49

16GB RAm - US$ 130

US$ 399

The DS-1 should be a lot better. From what I understand, the difference is minimal. If DS-1 had a LPS internal, then it would be a big deal.

Of course, it´s no so overpriced as Antipodes and Zenith SE (7k range).

ps: If you order a M.2 adapter to Pci-e (US$ 10) and buy a JCAT Ethernet Femto (US$ 500), for CJYH, you will have a winner in many classes.

Compare only the BoM without the same SQ may not be very useful.

I can't see your reason of the difference between the DS-1 and the NUC7CJYH is minimal.  The implementation of the OCXO is a major difference, like it or not. Whether it's worthwhile is a personal value.  Also, the price comparison should start from the NU7i7DNBE given that Rajiv said that the DS-1 still sounds better; however this comparison would be more apple to apple.

Have you tried the JCAT Ethernet Femto?  It's not often mentioned/praised in the "novel" thread.  At the price of this card, may be the OCXO switch offered by TLS is a more versatile solution and/or a better solution.  I tried neither and hope that somebody may speak from one's actual experience.

8 hours ago, greenleo said:

Compare only the BoM without the same SQ may not be very useful.

I can't see your reason of the difference between the DS-1 and the NUC7CJYH is minimal.  The implementation of the OCXO is a major difference, like it or not. Whether it's worthwhile is a personal value.  Also, the price comparison should start from the NU7i7DNBE given that Rajiv said that the DS-1 still sounds better; however this comparison would be more apple to apple.

Have you tried the JCAT Ethernet Femto?  It's not often mentioned/praised in the "novel" thread.  At the price of this card, may be the OCXO switch offered by TLS is a more versatile solution and/or a better solution.  I tried neither and hope that somebody may speak from one's actual experience.

Yes, I was wrong. The price is well reasonable. I just think the case could have a more beautiful design. Love to know how it compares to CX and SOtM combo.

Dear CA Members,

Happy New Year. This is Adrian from TLS. Thanks for the opportunity and introduction on TLS DS-1 on the new audiophile style site. And Thanks to @austinpop for this write-up I will try to answer some questions people been asking for DS-1.

Where does DS-1 OCXO has affect to?

The DS-1 OCXO solution has been apply to USB, Ethernet and Chipset.

Why use Conwin OCXO?

We have tested too many OCXO from well around the globe and finally go with Conwin and we been working with them for over 2.5 years. They been very helpful and support our special design need. However, the one thing is they are not the fastest in production time.

Why not Crystek 575 or 957 and since their phase noise is so good?

Crystek 957 and 575 is good Oscillator and they do what they do best, they might have a similar spec but it is not what we looking for in our sound solution after compare with OCXO solution.

OCXO had better fundamental design that are better than TCXO in general.

What is your phase noise compare with Crystek 575 and 957?

Phase noise is important but not the only determine factor in designing OCXO module for streamer and Audio Server.

Crystek 575 @24.576Mhz 10Hz 100dBc

Crystek 957 @24.576Mhz 10Hz 97.95dBc

Std Conwin OH4 @25Mhz 10Hz 100dBc

We use standard published spec. 

So the phase noise look the same, if this is the only factor you eyes on. However, phase noise is measure by frequency so does a good frequency matter? Yes, it does and therefore we look at the following call frequency stability.

All the about measure from Crystek is base on 25ppm Stability compare to Conwin at 10ppb which conwin OCXO already 2500x better in frequency stability in comparison. And this stay true in any industry and believe me you can hear this different in audio reproduction. 

Do I need to be a computer expert to use DS-1?

No, in fact DS-1 is design to be a turn-key solution OOBE for Roon-bridge or NAA 

Does TLS offer upgrade to NUCi7DNBE ?

Yes, DS-1 can be order as i7 Nuc version, please email for more detail.

I hope this answer some of the questions but feel free to email [email protected] as well.

Regards,

Adrian

TLS

4 hours ago, allaboutacoustic said:

The DS-1 OCXO solution has been apply to USB, Ethernet and Chipset.

Is there a single OCXO in the DS-1 or are there 3 x OCXO?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

15 hours ago, allaboutacoustic said:

DS-1 is a Single OCXO design.

So how does this single OCXO apply to USB, Ethernet and the chipset?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 3 weeks later...

Subject: Better clock on USB 

When I had the original Uptone Audio USB regen I read the positive posts about users modding the regen with the NewClassD  oscillator.

There was much skepticism to the post coming from all sides  - especially considering the lead length required from  external mounting of the larger board. 

Given the NewClass D was $479 I got lucky to find a few  24Mhz TCXOs on the shelf at Connor Winfield for $25 a piece with phase Noise performance similar to the Crystec 575.

The form factor was off by a few mm and hence it looked like a monster truck pulling a wheelie when soldered to the pads .

The wheelie end was power and N/C :)

But the improvement was in the listening - typical of a better clock: the image snapped into a clearer focus, better transients, better sense of ease....

On a murkier speculation, when I heard about Aurender using an OCXO in their N10 Music Server, Mark Jenkins of Antipodes Audio asserted that in his experiments with OCXO and TCXO, clock made no difference. Since the Antipodes DX2 integrated the server and renderer into one platform I was curious if HW-wise, whether there was a separate clock for the rendering function that could be improved. I suspect it was all integrated in SW but am not sure. I have since upgraded to the DX3.

I have found austinpop's reviews and system component comparisons very useful. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course there’s some that want “us” to be more rational though we’re allowed to have fun..sort of..but we need to understand that we’re delusional and rely on blind faith and beliefs like farmers praying to Zeus for better crops. 😂

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/02/musings-computer-audio-mythos-comment.html

The part about control is hilarious as this is a perfect example of someone who tries to regain control of a situation he does not agree with.

No mr. archimago I will not participate in your blind testing experiment. Not because I’m angry or offended but I’d rather do something that’s actually fun to do. Blind tests are not fun nor useful, for me. I also need to pray to Zeus that my NUC7i7DNHE and fanless case will arrive coming Wednesday as announced by the vendor.

NB. More seriously, one thing I agree with is us coming up with (half) theories as to the hows and why’s and stating these as facts. Fortunately, over time, these are almost always replaced by real facts or better theories. Not bad, eh, for a non scientific community effort! 

• 7 months later...