IGNORED

Article: Quick Take: The Linear Solution DS-1 Network Streamer

This streamer does NAA and Roon and runs $1600. 

The ultraRendu runs NAA, Roon, Shairport, MPD/DLNA, Spotify, Squeelite and Bubbleupnp Server and cost $875.

I must be missing something. What distinguishes this product from the ultraRendu?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Did you look at the temps (sensors command) on the DS-1?  Is the case more effective at passive cooling than the Akasa cases?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 minute ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Well there's always the chance they go belly up. But if they keep going I can imagine for a fee they could accommodate an upgrade. After all anyone who would pay $1599 for an Intel NUC in a fancy case isn't the type who practices frugality. 

Then with the the speed of upcoming new boards you can repeat this procedure four times a year!

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

38 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

BTW has anyone tested the 8th gen NUC's? This product may already be obsolete. Unless they will play the "8th gen NUC's suck" card until the 7th gen board stock depletes. 

The NUC7i7DNBE is one.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

“Great as that NUC sounded, the DS-1 sounds significantly better. The improvements are exactly what I have heard with clock improvements before. Clearly the OCXO is the reason for the bulk of this improvement”

Thanks Rajiv for your write up, based on anequal comparison (with the NUC7CJYH) the results are promising to say the least. Great to see these recent developments pushing the envelope, too bad a direct comparison with the SOtM Ultra Neo couldn’t be done, this would be a great test with both turnkey products at a similar price level. Also a nice compliment to suggest to ‘DIY’ers’ to consider the DS-1 (which understandingly triggers some reactions ?)

You would think it would take an order of 1000's of unit's to become an OEM client of Intel. Is this collaboration referring to internet chat support?

So did Intel solder the OCXO to the board from the factory? If so do they still honour the 3 year factory warranty? 

It would be cool to see a picture of how the OCXO is soldered to the board. Those NUC oscillator pads are tiny. compared to the big OCXO.

NUC7CJYH - US$ 120

Akasa Newton JC - US$ 100

Audiolinux - US$ 49

16GB RAm - US$ 130

US$ 399

The DS-1 should be a lot better. From what I understand, the difference is minimal. If DS-1 had a LPS internal, then it would be a big deal.

Of course, it´s no so overpriced as Antipodes and Zenith SE (7k range).

ps: If you order a M.2 adapter to Pci-e (US$ 10) and buy a JCAT Ethernet Femto (US$ 500), for CJYH, you will have a winner in many classes.

2 hours ago, Advieira said:

If you order a M.2 adapter to Pci-e (US$ 10)

There is no M.2 on the NUC7CJYH.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's