IGNORED

Any MSB fans here ?

A couple of thoughts on the MSB.

Filters

The one utterly crucial bit is the filter setting, as it can make or break your experience. The standard default filter 1 to my ears is painful and fatiguing. The unnatural pre-ringing in the linear phase filter 1 is very unpleasant. Filter 4 is a minimum phase filter and much easier to the ears. Of course everyone’s ears will behave differently, just make sure you are able to select the different filters for your preferred choice.

OpenHome Renderer

The gen 1 renderer is best used with an OpenHome server running, such as the excellent Bubble UPnP Server. I still use Lumin for the app, but have also noticed that apps keep changing and dropping their support for anything that is not their hardware...irritating but understandable. I do not update or connect my iPad to the internet for that reason alone. 

For the insane prices of their DACs a dedicated app would be expected,  but they seem to have thrown in with Roon. Not sure if gen 2 is better.

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2019 at 5:58 PM, thyname said:

Filters? My MSB Discrete has no selectable filters

On 9/2/2019 at 7:55 PM, Noushy said:

I have the new premier with all options and the V2 renderer.  Have not used that yet and only place off my N10.  As for filter settings I need to actually sit and listen.  Mine has been setup by the dealer.

Noushy

If you have the renderer module you can type in the IP address of your DAC into a browser and select the filter from the menu. You can find the IP address via your router menu of attached devices, or something like a PlugPlayer app that shows the IP.

If not, perhaps your remote allows you to toggle? I would definitely ask your dealer as the default filter to my ears was not doable. If it had not been for that filter menu and selectable filters I would have gotten rid of mine a long time ago.

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 6:30 PM, thyname said:

I confirmed with MSB that Discrete DAC does not have any filters to select. You must confuse it with something else, or an older model MSB DAC

Yes, I have an older one. The Analog. If you have the Renderer v1, the IP URL screen will allow you to change the filters. Or if you have an RS-232 unit, you can update the digital filter through your computer.

It really is a shame that they took that user input away in the newer models. It would stop me from buying any new generation MSB. If I cannot select the digital filter, especially if the default is linear phase, it is a no-go for my ears.

Perhaps if more people ask for it, they will bring it back as it would seem to be a relatively easy function to add since it is obviously in the code somewhere already.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:14 PM, MetalNuts said:

Despite the MSB Premier DAC and Powerbase, each has its own spikes and pad, I have tried using different isolators.  I have the Dac stacked on the Powerbase using the MSB supplied spikes and pads whereas under the Powerbase, I have used Stillpoints Ultra SS and recently Hifistay Hardpoint Trinia.

I like the Hardpoint Trinia more and it enhance the natural flow and analogue feel of the Dac. 

I also have put separation between the powerbase and the DAC and do not stack them. They are on separate shelves and separated using multiple layers of EMF field reducing/deflecting aluminium plates, Giron shielding and distance.

With a simple EMF meter you can see how large and powerful of a field it throws.

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2021 at 9:16 AM, skids929 said:

Naw...They advanced the tech so far beyond the Analog DAC the filters actually negatively effected the sound in all tests so they eliminated them. They aren't coming back unless there were sonic benefits in doing so. Personally I have DACs with filters, they're rarely implemented in an effective way and quite honestly just add more settings to deal with. I just want to plug the damn thing in and listen. If I need to tweak hard ware a little get where I need to be so-be-it, but filters I can live without if the overall package sounds as good as MSB does. 

Of course they did not eliminate digital filters, they just do not provide the user with the choice any longer and settled on their linear phase filter.  Some people are more sensitive to linear phase vs. minimum phase filters. Some good articles and videos out there, in the pro-audio world as well.