Jump to content
IGNORED

HQPlayer Pro


Recommended Posts

On 12/21/2018 at 6:54 AM, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

It meant I could use my Mac Pro 2013 model running Win 10 to play this 48X512 poly-sinc-xtr produced file through my T+A DAC 8 DSD, where the Mac pro can handle a max of DSD128 with real time up-sampling.

If I use SDM (N/O) option and free running checked, sounds as the DAC used is irrelevant!

Did you try 48X512 poly-sinc-mp and ASDM7EC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

If I use SDM (N/O) option and free running checked, sounds as the DAC used is irrelevant!

Did you try 48X512 poly-sinc-mp and ASDM7EC?

 

Yes, since there is no monitoring output with null output (N/O), there are no output format limitations imposed by the DAC. Free running doesn't actually have effect with N/O cases since they are always free running.

 

7 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

What happened with this thread after august 2019?

 

Most of Pro users are professionals using it for work, so they are not very active here.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested some 24/96 and 24/352.8 PCM files below 1 minute to DSD256 with several filters, but same ASDM7EC modulator with 4.5 Pro trial, and each saved DSF file have the same amount of bits with poly-sinc lp, mp, long, short and another ones... Why this happen if the algorithmics of filters are so different?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 1:54 AM, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

I think it makes sense to have a separate thread on the new HQPlayer Pro.

 

 

Geoff

You betcha it is a good idea...i didn't even know it existed until i saw the thread (grin)...i have not been active on the site for a couple years, so i don't know how long ago that it was released.

 

Is there a way to do batch conversions, or would you have to listen to every trrack and record real time?   It would be great if someone came out with a program that would do batch conversions (hint hint).

 

Edit to add...i just googled and see there is a program there are a couple programs that do it.  Is one recommended more than the other?

 

https://www.poikosoft.com/dsd-converter

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

I tested some 24/96 and 24/352.8 PCM files below 1 minute to DSD256 with several filters, but same ASDM7EC modulator with 4.5 Pro trial, and each saved DSF file have the same amount of bits with poly-sinc lp, mp, long, short and another ones... Why this happen if the algorithmics of filters are so different?

 

Same amount of bits -> same length. Did you compare if the bits are the same?

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Is there a way to do batch conversions, or would you have to listen to every trrack and record real time?   It would be great if someone came out with a program that would do batch conversions (hint hint).

 

No, you don't need to listen to the tracks, you can let the conversion run as fast as possible. Or if you use for example ASDM7EC to DSD512, you'll need to wait about 2x the playback time for the conversion to finish, even if you are on a fastest CPU available.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miska said:

 

No, you don't need to listen to the tracks, you can let the conversion run as fast as possible. Or if you use for example ASDM7EC to DSD512, you'll need to wait about 2x the playback time for the conversion to finish, even if you are on a fastest CPU available.

 

can you set it for batch conversion? Which conversion method would you recommend that has the fastest conversion time?  Like can i just point to a directory and say convert all and let it run until it completes?  I am guessing that the record is just a bonus feature, and not really designed for batch conversion?  Have you heard of the other batch conversion programs and would you recommend them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

can you set it for batch conversion?

 

Yes and no, you'd generally convert an album at a time.

 

26 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Which conversion method would you recommend that has the fastest conversion time?

 

Usually you would want best quality which pretty much means longest conversion time.

 

26 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Like can i just point to a directory and say convert all and let it run until it completes?

 

Yes, that would assume that tracks in that directory belong together - meaning they form an album.

 

26 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I am guessing that the record is just a bonus feature, and not really designed for batch conversion?

 

Well, recording, ripping, mixing, conversion etc are treated equally. There are not so many DSD capable recorders that run on Windows, macOS and Linux.

 

One of main focuses is for recording studio or a label to produce distribution files of an album in various formats.

 

26 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Have you heard of the other batch conversion programs and would you recommend them?

 

I don't really have any interest looking into such.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Is there any difference, benefit or improvement in SQ from upsampling tracks prior to playback with Pro vs upsampling them on the fly with the Desktop version?  The outputted upsampled track is the same, correct?

 

Also, has anyone tried playback from Roon to HQP Pro?  Roon tells me it can't connect to HQP.  It connects to the Desktop version just fine, but not Pro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Is there any difference, benefit or improvement in SQ from upsampling tracks prior to playback with Pro vs upsampling them on the fly with the Desktop version?  The outputted upsampled track is the same, correct?

 

Only if it allows you to do algorithms you cannot otherwise do, like DSD512 with EC modulators.

 

Output itself is the same you'd get from Desktop or Embedded.

 

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Also, has anyone tried playback from Roon to HQP Pro?  Roon tells me it can't connect to HQP.  It connects to the Desktop version just fine, but not Pro.

 

This is not supported, Pro doesn't support remote control from applications like Roon. It falls outside of Pro's scope, which is file conversion / production tool for studios and record labels.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Miska said:

Only if it allows you to do algorithms you cannot otherwise do, like DSD512 with EC modulators.

Hi @Miska, I think I have asked you before, when playing back native HQPro content let's say sinc-M - DSD512 - 7EC using Roon, of course no HQPe or NAA is needed, the CPU resources taken by Roon playing the content should not be much correct?

My point is with a less powerful PC you could do the playing without needing much resources etc.

Is that accurate?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luisma said:

Hi @Miska, I think I have asked you before, when playing back native HQPro content let's say sinc-M - DSD512 - 7EC using Roon, of course no HQPe or NAA is needed, the CPU resources taken by Roon playing the content should not be much correct?

My point is with a less powerful PC you could do the playing without needing much resources etc.

Is that accurate?

 

Yes, you can enable Direct SDM and then you don't need much resources. Note that you don't then have any DSP functionality, like volume control or such.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, osvaldoki1987 said:

My question was not about automatic transfer of metadata. For a track upsampled to DSD512, I see a message that the file is corrupt or the file format not supported. I can copy the file onto my Roon music hard disk (Linux based music server), but the file is not recognised, and not imported. so I cannot  play it.

Regard

Jack Mansuko

 

Likely a Roon issue.  I routinely play the Stereo DSD 512 files from NativeDSD Music, created with the DSD 512 "EC" modulators in HQ Player 4 Pro with no issues on the iFi iDSD Micro BL DAC using HQ Player 4 and JRiver Media Center 26.

https://www.nativedsd.com/homepage/dsd512_music

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to disable metadata on wav output?


For some reason my SD player is refusing to play wavs with the latest version of trial (wont get into but its an issue with the SD player, not HQP, the new files play fine in any normal software),

I have some wavs converted from long time ago on an older version of trial and these still work, I notice the new version has some metadata left on the wavs while these old files dont.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a side note, I think there might be a bug with PCM Closed Form 1M or could be a trial limitation? 

Sometimes there will be some silence at the start of the converted file... conversion is 44.1k 16bit to 88.2k 18bit.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 9:29 PM, numlog said:

On a side note, I think there might be a bug with PCM Closed Form 1M or could be a trial limitation? 

Sometimes there will be some silence at the start of the converted file... conversion is 44.1k 16bit to 88.2k 18bit.

 

No, just some technical limitations hitting when you use such filters for such low rates.

 

poly-sinc family of filters for example should work for that case.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 12:48 AM, Miska said:

Yes and no

Is there a limit to batch sizes in HQPlayer pro?
I'd be needing to convert a lot of files so was planning to buy HQP-P and leave it running overnight.

Would that not work?

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Is there a limit to batch sizes in HQPlayer pro?

 

Typical conversion unit is an album, unless you process it as a playlist, in which case it won't be gapless because filter delay compensation is processed different way for the two cases.

 

17 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

I'd be needing to convert a lot of files so was planning to buy HQP-P and leave it running overnight.

Would that not work?

 

I would say it won't work the way you'd expect for the case I understand you'd like to do. You would need to convert album at a time.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone worked out why 512DSD files produced with HQPlayer Pro won't import into Roon or why they crash Audirvana (which shows them as 557DSD)? I've tried editing the metadata to make sure that is behaving properly, but it doesn't seem to stem from that. They play with HQPlayer, but that's not why I wanted to make the files.

 

The 512DSD files from NativeDSD, which are made using HQPlayer Pro, do import into Roon. Strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Has anyone worked out why 512DSD files produced with HQPlayer Pro won't import into Roon or why they crash Audirvana (which shows them as 557DSD)? I've tried editing the metadata to make sure that is behaving properly, but it doesn't seem to stem from that. They play with HQPlayer, but that's not why I wanted to make the files.

 

The 512DSD files from NativeDSD, which are made using HQPlayer Pro, do import into Roon. Strange.

 

I haven't tried DSD 512 Stereo files with Roon, but the ones from NativeDSD work with JRiver Media Center 26 for Windows (64 bit version) as well as HQ Player 4 Desktop here.  I've also successfully played the NativeDSD Stereo DSD 512 files with Tune Browser for Windows. 

 

As for Audirvana for Windows, I've had it crash on files at lower bit rates than DSD 512.  So I stopped using Audirvana here.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...