IGNORED

HQPlayer Pro

Jussi Using HQPLayer PRO 4 - is it possible for a 6700k rig with say a 970GTX GPU to upsample the following:

44.1k ASDM7 to DSD 256 polysinc xtr -2 -- record the file CUDA / Multicore enabled

2nd round of upsampling to DSD 512  polysinc xtr (non 2s) on ASDM7 full CUDA/Multi core enabled.

Thanks

5 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Jussi Using HQPLayer PRO 4 - is it possible for a 6700k rig with say a 970GTX GPU to upsample the following:

44.1k ASDM7 to DSD 256 polysinc xtr -2 -- record the file CUDA / Multicore enabled

2nd round of upsampling to DSD 512  polysinc xtr (non 2s) on ASDM7 full CUDA/Multi core enabled.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by second round?

If you mean first upsampling to DSD256 and then to DSD512, yes you can do it. But why not go straight to DSD512 with the filter you want? Note that filter selections don't apply to DSD-to-DSD rate conversions. There are just two algorithms at the moment for doing that.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I'm continuing to use Pro with spectacular results converting to DSD512x48 at ASDM7 or ASDM7-512fs

I determined that ASDM-512fs has slightly better PRAT, which suites some music very well, whereas ASDM7 has better apparent detail.

Normally I play the results back using HQPlayer Desktop in "Direct SDM" mode to a T+A DAC8 DSD

Yesterday I decided to listen for any benefits that may still result when using a DAC limited to DSD128 over DoP.

The first track played fine and sounded pretty good with HQP Desktop down-sampling in real-time from DSD512x48 to DSD128. The second track refused to play though. It got stuck with the progress bar that normally shows when filters are being built as a result of change of sample rate within a playlist.

I don't know if this is related to how HQP Pro produces the files or with desktop having issues when downsampling from DSD512x48 to DSD128.

The same album plays fine to the T+A as a native DSD.

Any ideas Miska?

Thanks,

Geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

2 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

The first track played fine and sounded pretty good with HQP Desktop down-sampling in real-time from DSD512x48 to DSD128. The second track refused to play though. It got stuck with the progress bar that normally shows when filters are being built as a result of change of sample rate within a playlist.

I don't know if this is related to how HQP Pro produces the files or with desktop having issues when downsampling from DSD512x48 to DSD128.

There may be an error message about what happened in HQPlayer Desktop's log file. Since all the source files should have same rate, it shouldn't go into reinitializing and even if it does, the progress bar is not shown between the tracks because GUI is not involved anymore during the playback. So something strange is going on. Log file would tell what it was really doing at that point.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by second round?

If you mean first upsampling to DSD256 and then to DSD512, yes you can do it. But why not go straight to DSD512 with the filter you want? Note that filter selections don't apply to DSD-to-DSD rate conversions. There are just two algorithms at the moment for doing that.

No I thought I tried it 2 weeks ago. 

OK let me remember what i did

I played the track on HQPlayer Pro 4 and it went to the maximum I could do without stuttering and dropouts.

ASDM7 / DSD256 on 44.1k using polysinc xtr -2 and saved the file output.

I then went to the folder for the file output and used HQPlayer Desktop 3 and unchecked the Direct SDM box play thru and it played the file and upsampled it to DSD 512

Not at my PC now so I could have remembered wrongly.

Is what I described correct? 

Thanks

8 hours ago, Miska said:

What rate did you want for output? Is it not listed on the rate drop-list in main window, even when you select "PCM N/O" output mode?

Source was 176.4kHz. Wanted to output to 44.1kHz. But the drop list only showed 176.4kHz and higher rates.

Yep, output mode was set to PCM N/O.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | NAD C 316BEE | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

6 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

No I thought I tried it 2 weeks ago. 

OK let me remember what i did

I played the track on HQPlayer Pro 4 and it went to the maximum I could do without stuttering and dropouts.

ASDM7 / DSD256 on 44.1k using polysinc xtr -2 and saved the file output.

I then went to the folder for the file output and used HQPlayer Desktop 3 and unchecked the Direct SDM box play thru and it played the file and upsampled it to DSD 512

Not at my PC now so I could have remembered wrongly.

Is what I described correct? 

Thanks

OK, but with Pro you don't need to worry if your computer cannot do it in realtime without stuttering. Just disable monitoring output by selecting free running mode, or alternatively use the "N/O" null output mode to save it to a file at what ever speed your computer manages to do.

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Then the selected filter is likely one that allows only up conversion, but not down.

ok, thanks!

I‘ll check...

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | NAD C 316BEE | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

Regarding earlier discussions, in case source and destination folders are the same, there should be now a new output format specific sub-folder created automatically. As usual, you can see how the output files will be named and where they are to be located.

Some other notable things include pre-generated input URI's on the source drop list. And CD-ripping has been fixed, it was broken in beta1 (not available on Mac, only on Windows and Linux).

So if NO monitoring mode, I can let the PC run overnight slowly and upsample Polysinc xtr NON 2s to DSD512, save the output using Pro 4 and then next day ENJOY the DSD512 direct SDM playback.

WOW. Saves me the 1600USD I was planning to spend on adding a NVIDIA RTX 2080TI to my system.

1 minute ago, kelvinwsy said:

Is there a new Beta version or just the same version from 2 weeks ago. Do I need to download the new version?

Latest is from Jan 22nd. You can periodically check my web page, or alternatively follow Twitter or Facebook posts if you'd like to get notified about new releases.

4 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Saves me the 1600USD I was planning to spend on adding a NVIDIA RTX 2080TI to my system.

Well, that RTX is still cheaper... ;)

Saving 4-5 gb files of 1 album of DSD256 or even higher for DSD512 is no fun besides the work you do to generate the file.

I think I will bite the bullet and buy the RTX2080TI when it drops to say 1300uSD. I will skip the 2080 .. WHy NOT😂

Jussi - do you think the RTX 2080TI Overclocked GPU with a 6700k can do DSD512 xtr  for 44.1k material  or direct to DSD512 on 48k material

Your Software is just GREAT STUFF

Testing it on WINSERVER 2019 with Audiophile Optimizer AO3.0 Beta as a beta tester right now.

13 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Jussi - do you think the RTX 2080TI Overclocked GPU with a 6700k can do DSD512 xtr  for 44.1k material  or direct to DSD512 on 48k material

At least my RTX2080 + 7700K can do 44.1k to 44.1k x512, 48k to 48k x512 and 48k to 44.1k x512. So the usually needed cases.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Then the selected filter is likely one that allows only up conversion, but not down.

This.

Many thanks!

It is a really interesting development.

3 questions, few ideas:

- is there a way to get Roon to recognize the pro version? I could not get it work, it works with the desktop version of course. 

- Is there any way to integrate an eGPU for rendering? I have an iMac Pro and a MacBook Pro with eGPU, but wonder if you implemented or plan to implement eGPU integration. as well. It can be interesting for Mac owners I think. 

- do you plan to use somehow a CPU in a NAS like Qnap or Synology? You can set up the parameters and batch conversion list in the Pro app, then send the rendering cue to the NAS and use its CPU and its storage for a (lengthy) rendering?

On 1/24/2019 at 9:08 AM, Miska said:

There may be an error message about what happened in HQPlayer Desktop's log file. Since all the source files should have same rate, it shouldn't go into reinitializing and even if it does, the progress bar is not shown between the tracks because GUI is not involved anymore during the playback. So something strange is going on. Log file would tell what it was really doing at that point.

I could have explained a little better:

This is going to Grimm LS1's using DoP to DSD128. If I leave "Auto Rate Family" checked, HQPlayer Desktop advances to the next track without a problem, … but the DSD512x48 files are now downsampled to 3.07 mhz which is not what I want.

If I uncheck "Auto Rate Family" this is when the problem arises. The first track plays just fine as 5.6xxxx MHZ (DSD128x44.1); but it fails to advance to the second track.

It's when I try to play that second track manually by clicking on it in HQP's interface that it gets stuck on the progress bar forever, or until I force HQPlayer to quit.

Attached is the log file. I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Geoff

HQPlayer.log.zip

On a different subject; I noticed that files up-sampled to DSD512x48 by Pro are not showing up in Roon. So if I wanted to create a selection of my library up-sampled to DSD512 with Pro, I couldn't then use Roon to either manage that library or playback the files.

I wanted to see how they would sound with just Roon playing them without HQPlayer Desktop involvement, since HQPlayer's filter and modulator have already worked their magic using Pro.

Files up-sampled to DSD256 do show up in Roon.

I should probably bring this up with the Roon guys, though I guess it's a corner case for them.

Related to this I wonder if you could somehow add info to the files, perhaps in the comments field, which are created by pro to indicate that they are up-sampled/converted files by HQPlayer pro. This could then, perhaps, be picked up by programs like Roon to identify them that way, and distinguish them from actual, so called, "Native DSD" files or other PCM HIgh-Rez files.

BTW, J River recognises the DSD512 up-sampled files just fine. So J River could be used as a library manager/player for these files.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:57 PM, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

This is going to Grimm LS1's using DoP to DSD128. If I leave "Auto Rate Family" checked, HQPlayer Desktop advances to the next track without a problem, … but the DSD512x48 files are now downsampled to 3.07 mhz which is not what I want.

If I uncheck "Auto Rate Family" this is when the problem arises. The first track plays just fine as 5.6xxxx MHZ (DSD128x44.1); but it fails to advance to the second track.

Can you try to update to latest HQPlayer version and see if the issue persists?

On 1/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, Whitigir said:

So the beta is still an evaluation, and this is a live conversion but then get recorded onto the destined folder ? I thought this could be an offline conversion of Oversampling ?

i just want to make sure because my system on live conversion is limited with some filters

It depends what you want. You can have live monitoring output or without. You can have live monitoring switched on/off on the fly during conversion. Or you can choose not to have live monitoring possibility which also opens up also those output formats your DAC doesn't support.