IGNORED

Best alternatives LPSU to Paul Hynes SR7

3 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

You might be interested in the results coming up in the improved hdplex200w 4 rail psu, including full lineair power to atx connector if you have a motherboard based server.

Hdplex was my first option. But the seller does not answer my email requests. The website is saying its out of stock in USA.

20 minutes ago, Advieira said:

The website is saying its out of stock in USA.

HDPLEX recently said they expect more USA stock of their 200W LPS at the end of February.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

It's because of a holliday according to Larry

Chinese New Year Feb 5-19 is a huge deal there.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

14 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

If I understand you correctly you have forseen this risk and modded the psu to your standard.

If I were in your position I’d at least have mentioned safety is an issue with this unit, so all can decide for themselves if they’re willing to take that risk.

Thanks for sharing btw @Superdad

I did not build one because of any foreseen risk - I could not buy a built unit that met my needs so I built one that did.  I certainly could not foresee the insides of the unit Supdad bought!

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2019 at 10:21 PM, wanta911 said:

With a few links in the chain all requiring 5V, I think it's about where I have my different power supplies. So after some trial & error I've settled on the following, at least for the time being:

•  Digione Signature (clean side) - LPS 1.2
  •  MiniDSP DDRC-22D - SBooster (without Ultra add on)
  •  Chord Qutest - Studer LPS

I would describe my setup as probably a touch on the warm side usually and having it this way just sounds a bit cleaner/punchier in the mid bass without getting too tight or dry. The thing is that if I use something else on the DS other than the excellent LPS 1.2 then I get some of that mid bass haziness back, so it's definitely about the sum of all parts.

Off topic:

Try to put a good LPS on the dirty side of your Digione Signature too. You would be surprised. 

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a diyer and not a tech guy, but I have listened to many LPSs used by my friends for their CAS gadgets in Hong Kong.

Sad to say that most of the cheap LPS from Mainland China are ...

IMHO the two LPS which give good sound and have good c/p ratios are Keces P8 and HDPlex 200W (new version).

However if for the best sonic performance I will choose either Uptone Audio JS-2 or Clones Audio Power Station Deluxe version.

They give the most musical sound when used on CAS components.

8 hours ago, CKKeung said:

I am not a diyer and not a tech guy, but I have listened to many LPSs used by my friends for their CAS gadgets in Hong Kong.

Sad to say that most of the cheap LPS from Mainland China are ...

IMHO the two LPS which give good sound and have good c/p ratios are Keces P8 and HDPlex 200W (new version).

However if for the best sonic performance I will choose either Uptone Audio JS-2 or Clones Audio Power Station Deluxe version.

They give the most musical sound when used on CAS components.

Hi @CKKeung,

I've been following and enjoying your sNH-G10 thread over at WBF with interest. Well, I'm following it with interest but not sure I'm enjoying the sNH-G10 times 2 part 😳

But I've also read your commentary on the Clones Audio Powerstation Deluxe and am intrigued. There's also a UK dealer I've dealt with before and liked so that adds to the attraction.

If you don't mind me asking do you have a single output Powerstation or a double? And any thoughts on how much of a sonic penalty there is in going double output versus single?

Many Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Hello Alan,

I myself am using a PowerStation Deluxe with two dc outputs whereas most of my friends are using the one-output version.

We have not compared the sonics of them yet.  May do so at our future gatherings.

According to Funjoe of Clones Audio, single output version is sonically better and is mandatory for large power uses such as for NAS ... etc.

Cheers,

CK

On 4/17/2019 at 4:13 AM, BigAlMc said:

Hi @CKKeung,

But I've also read your commentary on the Clones Audio Powerstation Deluxe and am intrigued. There's also a UK dealer I've dealt with before and liked so that adds to the attraction.

If you don't mind me asking do you have a single output Powerstation or a double? And any thoughts on how much of a sonic penalty there is in going double output versus single?

Many Thanks,

Alan

H

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Havent posted for a while as my now 2 year old still hasnt slept through x3 times a night... I had the studer 900 on my Qutest using a nuc>  LpS1>Isoregen.

Gave up with Linux for now with no time to fix it, my wife works weekends...the boy..oh god the boy..hes nuclear powered..

I tried the new IFI blue Zen BT just to get by... later for active speakers in the baby room.

I swapped out the studer900 tried the LPS1 again now its free, lurking i re read that the LPS1.2 is double L3045 regulated, as money is tight i tried  Alexeys LDOVR DXP Regulator. 

The Zen is great and i cant think of a better Blue tooth implementation, especially at that price and the sound is good.....

But its no audio linux NUC

The LPS1>ldvr DXP in the Qutest is almost there compared....With a Studer NUC lps1>ISOREGEN sound. 

If you can afford it get the LPS1.2 dual regulated. If you have an LPS1 get the LDVR DXP.

Cheap linear PSU/ Studer get a DXP.

UPTONES products are A1 if you have the cash, a no brainer. Alex and John do good stuff.

LDOVR DWP a really nice  regulater well made. Alexey is prompt, becoming respected for his designs and now its in a case. Its also modular with an upgrade path.

I now want the NUC working again and get another Lps1 or 1.2. If Bluetooth can now sound so good with better power to my Qutest i should be in for a treat.

Nothing here that isnt already confirmed around the AS forums, but iam getting that new DAC sound feeling, detail in the music again...more veils lifted than a Sultans honeymoon.....

I hope this helps, confirms or gives food for thought..

Thanks and good luck

Dave

Ps i hope the thread OP found his PSU he wanted..

• 10 months later...

Hi. Been following this thread and as someone somewhat new to the LPS scene, what would you guys do if you needed 2-4 12v outputs for an EtherREGEN + SOtM 200Ultra and then possible additions of a txUSB and Router? Would one of the UpTone 2s w possible V Cables in classifieds work better than some other combo of 1.2s or SOtM 500, SBooster, Studer900, etc? I like very neutral sound w good tone, timing, musicality. Don’t need the highest level of imaging, air etc... Anyway, as this will power a lot of source components would be great to get it right and don’t have unlimited dollars to try everything. Thanks! 

Hi Fadasan,

Ian Canada has new Linear Pi power supply boards in 3.3 and 5V versions.  These can supply up to 2.5A.  He has a thread on Diyaudio in the Power supply forum.  Supersurfer has some recent posts where he wired 2 5V supplies in series to power a  Etherregen.  The supplies are upgradeable by adding ultracap boards.  These can be purchased direct from him or some of the boards are available from Audiophonics.  Cost is very reasonable but you need to get your own transformer, box and do some basic wiring.  For the ultracap boards, the caps need to be sourced and soldered.  His Github page gives all the details.  Martin

• 4 months later...