IGNORED

Best alternatives LPSU to Paul Hynes SR7

On 1/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, ClothEars said:

Over the past 2 years a group of us have been testing various power supplies to extract the best from our SOtM SMS-200Ultra's and Tortuga LDR preamps.  Staring with common LPS's like the Teradak, HD Plex, iFi iPower and some DIY builds.  We also borrowed some such as the Keces. SOtM's mBPS-d2s and the newer SPS-500.  A Gieseler, Uptone LPS-1 and Core Audio were also tested but an LPS from China the "Zerozone"  was purchased because it was so cheap and to our surprise it performed better than the aforementioned products.  However the best performer of the lot was a heavy duty 12V car battery (Optima Yellow Top) that trumped them all.  I used the battery on the SMS-200 Ultra and the Zerozone LPS's on the USB HDD caddy and the Tortuga.

We had happily settled on this battery power supply until about 8 months ago we started to see some chatter about the Studer 900 power supply on some other forums.  At $18 for the LPS kit from aliexpress one of us built a 12V 3A version and we checked it out.  Collectively we were stunned at the performance.  Whilst just a bit better than the battery it was considerably better than the others and you can buy a fully built one as recommended above for just US$60.  A bit of tweaking with cables and capacitors lifted it's performance further.  At the price it represents astounding value and worth a try if you are searching for a high performance LPS without the high price tag.

If you could, please supply the link to this kit - I can't find it on the aliexpress site.

Thanks

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

There a single review with a low score of 1 - it isn't really clear what he's saying, but part of it is a complaint about the caps.

for $60 it is hard to go wrong...

It looks like the guy is saying that they have put a different (wrong) resistor in that does not line up with the product photos and the unit won't power his 5V 1A Topping D50. That was in response to the seller is saying that the buyer should not have bought a 6A power supply for 1A use....and that worries me. Either the seller is clueless or he was hoping the buyer was.

I'm interested in trying one of these, I see there is another seller with an identical unit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STUDER900-Regulator-linear-power-supply-DC12V-2-5A-30W-DAC-Audio-Decoder-Professional-Power-Adapter/32821841363.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.59631303kssStv

On 1/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, ClothEars said:

We had happily settled on this battery power supply until about 8 months ago we started to see some chatter about the Studer 900 power supply on some other forums.  At $18 for the LPS kit from aliexpress one of us built a 12V 3A version and we checked it out.  Collectively we were stunned at the performance.  Whilst just a bit better than the battery it was considerably better than the others and you can buy a fully built one as recommended above for just US$60.  A bit of tweaking with cables and capacitors lifted it's performance further.  At the price it represents astounding value and worth a try if you are searching for a high performance LPS without the high price tag.

@Cloth Ears  Thanks but I was after a link for the kit(?) mentioned above for $18 unless I have misunderstood your post.

Cheers

5 hours ago, tims said:

@Cloth Ears  Thanks but I was after a link for the kit(?) mentioned above for $18 unless I have misunderstood your post.

Cheers

Here you go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TL072-Regulated-Power-Supply-DIY-Kits-based-on-STUDER900-For-Pre-AMP-DAC-/173230773542

I actually bought the assembled boards and built the power supply with it.  That way I could tweak the case, connectors, wire, capacitors and transformer to my liking.  I used a 50VA instead of the 30VA that comes with the completed units.

Studer900LPS.thumb.JPG.f55e6447602ef965c633384d5e0772f9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:50 PM, ClothEars said:

This linear power supply is brilliant.  Don’t be put off by the cheap price and Chinese build.  It performs far better than many exotic and expensive brands out there.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STUDER900-Regulator-linear-power-supply-DC12V-2-5A-30W-tube-Preamplifier-Audio-Decoder-Professional-Power-Adapter/32822732608.html

Thanks! I have a fully built one now that is powering my Chord Qutest....I'm not sure if I've heard the Qutest sound this good but I'll give it a bit more time before I make any definitive statements. For the record - I own a JS-2, an Ultracap 1.2, an SBooster and an HDPlex 200W.

13 hours ago, wanta911 said:

Thanks! I have a fully built one now that is powering my Chord Qutest....I'm not sure if I've heard the Qutest sound this good but I'll give it a bit more time before I make any definitive statements. For the record - I own a JS-2, an Ultracap 1.2, an SBooster and an HDPlex 200W.

I look forward to your impressions. 👍

I have heard both sides saying for and against using a linear for the Qutest.

I have one on order (Studer) to see.

If anything to loose another wall mart. 

Id love to see if a secondary REG like LDOVRs would improve things more.. 8uV out low noise...

Thanks for the heads up, i wasnt going to try with my Qutest from what was said in general... Ill post when it comes

Good luck

Dave 

On 1/3/2019 at 8:50 AM, ClothEars said:

This linear power supply is brilliant.  Don’t be put off by the cheap price and Chinese build.  It performs far better than many exotic and expensive brands out there.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STUDER900-Regulator-linear-power-supply-DC12V-2-5A-30W-tube-Preamplifier-Audio-Decoder-Professional-Power-Adapter/32822732608.html

Anyone know of an alternative as the one referenced is showing as no longer available. 

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

8 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I did google and also look in AliExpress, but what drove my question was the fact that the images for all the other alternative look a very different layout to the original version that was suggested, and not being an electronic wiz I wasn’t sure if they would perform the same. 

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

10 hours ago, dmormerod said:

I did google and also look in AliExpress, but what drove my question was the fact that the images for all the other alternative look a very different layout to the original version that was suggested, and not being an electronic wiz I wasn’t sure if they would perform the same. 

There are some variations to the circuit board to allow mounting in a small case with the transformer soldered direct to the board.

You could also buy a twin supply board and just use one side.

14 hours ago, ClothEars said:

There are some variations to the circuit board to allow mounting in a small case with the transformer soldered direct to the board.

You could also buy a twin supply board and just use one side.

Thanks

On 1/20/2019 at 10:46 PM, wanta911 said:

Any further thoughts on this?

Are you still thinking it beats the LPS 1.2, JS2 and SBooster in your system?

If so, in what ways?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

He never said it did.  He just indicated that he also owns those other supplies.

I think he pretty much did:

"I'm not sure if I've heard the Qutest sound this good..... For the record - I own a JS-2, an Ultracap 1.2, an SBooster and an HDPlex 200W. "

On 1/7/2019 at 2:16 AM, ClothEars said:

Here you go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TL072-Regulated-Power-Supply-DIY-Kits-based-on-STUDER900-For-Pre-AMP-DAC-/173230773542

I actually bought the assembled boards and built the power supply with it.  That way I could tweak the case, connectors, wire, capacitors and transformer to my liking.  I used a 50VA instead of the 30VA that comes with the completed units.

Studer900LPS.thumb.JPG.f55e6447602ef965c633384d5e0772f9.JPG

Curious which transformers you used?