IGNORED

Allo Boss 1.4 has the jumper and usb c socket NOT 1.2

Hi  to all,

I would be grateful if All the instructions  regarding powering the Boss dac  separately from the  Rpi be updated. At least 90% of all documents relating to this have the board marked Boss v1.4  with the heading Boss v1.2. It is extremely tiresome when errors like this happen and also very confusing  when trying to find this information.  There is at least one supplier of the dac hat that states that v1.2 cannot be powered separately. There is also the fact that anyone not realising this will  fork out for a new psu including the additional micro usb cable to find that it doesn't fit. Thanks for your attention with this matter.

Mark.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi to All,

Is there no one that can help with this issue? I have seen the instructions for Boss V1.2 that says to move jumper 25 and power the dac through the USB C socket; this option is not available on the 'old'  V1.2, only the 'new' V1.2 (ie. HW V1.4).

The bit that I am stuck with is this , taken from the image below:- "Above shown Resistor to be assembled Value: 0E 0805 Package". What is the value of this resistor "OE"?

Any help would be well appreciated.

Mark.

bossv1.2_power.JPG.1858687a5030af9b6bbe1cdc7a532011.JPG

7 hours ago, match69 said:

Hi to All,

Is there no one that can help with this issue? I have seen the instructions for Boss V1.2 that says to move jumper 25 and power the dac through the USB C socket; this option is not available on the 'old'  V1.2, only the 'new' V1.2 (ie. HW V1.4).

The bit that I am stuck with is this , taken from the image below:- "Above shown Resistor to be assembled Value: 0E 0805 Package". What is the value of this resistor "OE"?

Any help would be well appreciated.

Mark.

OE means use a zero ohm resistor.  Leading zero means zero resistance, E is the decimal, and with no digit after that = zero ohms.

0805 is a packaging identifier.  What you would be looking for is a 0805 package surface mount resistor valued at zero ohms.  The package code defines the resistor dimensions so it will fit right.  A 0805 usually has a power rating of .125W.

A zero ohm resistor is NOT the same as a jumper wire.   Order the proper resistor if you don't have it.  Jumpers don't restrict current in any way.  Resistor has some variance due to mfg tolerances and will dissipate some power in the form of heat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi BrokeLinuxPhile,

Sorry for the delay, I have been looking at alternatives to the Allo range of DACS, mainly because of the lack of interest in this platform, from developers and contributers alike, present company excepted. So a Big Thank You for taking the time to reply. This seems a bit of a pain, ordering one zero ohm surface mount resistor; could one not have been supplied? I can't imagine that it would have added much to the cost of the dac. I can understand the change with V1.2[sic], (V1.4). Thanks again.

Mark.

Edit: I have just checked the pcb and it appears that the resistor to be removed Is a 0 ohm smd resistor, I may get round to trying it someday.  Excuse my ignorance 🙂